Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Car brake lines- putting a new flare onto original lines?
  • Northwind

OK, this is probably a bit bodgy… But the big red skip is on its way to an MOT fail for corroded brake lines, and being a Focus I’m pretty sure they fitted the lines first then built the engine around them, access is pretty horrible. Naturally, it’s the exposed lines that are rusted, about half of each run back to the m/c is in fine shape, but I can’t find connectors where I want them.

Soooo, what are the chances of putting a decent flare onto the oem steel line using DIY-quality flaring tools, and just adding an extra connector somewhere?

(maybe I’m overreacting but I remember changing the clutch master cylinder on this swine and it was as easy as assembling a lego kit… Except you can’t see the lego, and you have to do it at arm’s length with your hands stuck down a tunnel of broken glass :mrgreen:

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the sub three figure flaring tools will only handle pure copper, they baulk at doing cupronickel (Kunifer) lines if I remember correctly.

supertramp
    Free Member

A bit late now, but if it’s only surface rust a quick rub down and a coat of grease before the test is a must!

I have a flaring tool in one of my sheds, If i can find it, not much use to you but if you are round this way …

Gribs

Depending on how dodgy you’re feeling just paint the lines with some hamerite.

Northwind

The driver’s side one looks bloomin horrible… Passenger side front brake caliper’s seized and the hose is seized into the caliper and also seized onto the brakeline so I think realistically both the front ones have to come out. Back isn’t so bad, they’ll probably just get a big tidy up.

Bit embarrasing really, I’m a decent spanner so this is just neglect, ah well.

Cheers folks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Car brake lines- putting a new flare onto original lines?’ is closed to new replies.