Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Car battery advice for someone clueless with cars……
  • organic355
    Free Member

It seems my car battery is on its last legs, had to get the car jump started a few times this week. Father in law has one of those trickle chargers and had it on all night, but dial still says only 50%, so think its time for a new battery.

Battery (car) is 6 or 7 years years old, so fist question is this normal?

If so can I just buy a new one off the shelf, Halfords, internet?

Are they all the same? or specific to car, make/model engine type?

Reckon me and the FIL could fit it as he is quite handy, but how do I go about getting the right one?

2007 Audi A4 2.0TDI quattro (estate) if that makes any difference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your dundee right ?

Get the CCA and capacity off your existing battery

phone D&A motor factors.

if they still exist they are up in beside verdant works.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it will have a cranking amps rating – how much power it can dump to turn the starter
    It will have an Amp/hr rating which is hpw much power it has
    These need to match your current one and yest 7 years is fair to middling but owrth checkin alternator charges well as well

Dot go to halfords they are super expensive for batteries but yes you could get them from anywher e- local motor factors for example
    it will be a doddle to swap tbh – something holding it in place and something attaching each cable to the battery terminal

FWIW an elctrical place can test your battery and tell you why it has failed if you care – usually free

spchantler
    Free Member

sounds like the battery, six years is a decent innings for one. go to your local andrew page or similar motor factors. they will sell you the correct one. fitting is easy on older cars, not sure about newer ones, there’s bound to be something to force you to go to a garage. make a note of your radio code first though. or check your handbook?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Car battery advice for someone clueless with cars……’ is closed to new replies.