Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Car: Anyone run winter tyres all year round?
  • johnellison
    Free Member

@trail_rat – TBH, I just wouldn’t be out in those conditions, winter tyres or no winter tyres.

For those that need them, fine. I don’t need winter tyres because a) I know my limits, and b) I can’t justify spending 600-odd quid on something that’s only really going to get used for 10 hours or less out of 365 days.

JMTP.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah ok i see .

sitting in your house for 2 months of the year being the alternative – first bad snow came on november 10th that year and my neighbour didnt get his car back to the house till march. – ive moved now but the snow this year in february was fence high and defeated my neighbours range rover.

as said before – winter tires more useful than just 10 hours of the year. ESSENTIAL maybe 10 hours where you live but better at conditions of 7 degrees and lower.

MoreCashThanDash

*ill-informed driving god to the forum*

lilchris
    Free Member

I can’t justify spending 600-odd quid on something that’s only really going to get used for 10 hours or less out of 365 days.

Do you burn last season part-worns to keep warm whilst your cooped up indoors over the winter?

pondo
    Free Member

Nope. But then I don’t use winter tyres. Never felt the need as the weather in the UK is rarely THAT bad

Saw a Canadian comedian recently who related a story about how he fits snow tyres when it snows where he lives now, in Devon, so he can stop, and steer, and go – but it just means he gets reaer-ended at every junction.

It was funny, the way he said it. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye probably was but better being rear ended by someone else – thats their problem (thats why you fit a tow bar and have a box section steel section for a rear bumper) than sliding un controlably into someone/ditch/wall/tree.

I might have to give a coat of hamerite to the scrapes from the car but its unlikely they will damage anything – and if they did they were hitting me regardless of what tires they had on as they were driving too fast.

peterfile
    Free Member

For those that need them, fine. I don’t need winter tyres because a) I know my limits, and b) I can’t justify spending 600-odd quid on something that’s only really going to get used for 10 hours or less out of 365 days.

Why is it, year on year, we end up in the same arguments with people COMPLETELY misunderstanding what it is that COLD WEATHER tyres are designed for (to give you a hint, it’s not just snow).

Cold weather tyres perform better than summer tyres in temps below 7 degrees. Why is this so difficult to understand?

How well the tyre performs is not affected by the driver’s skill.

molgrips
    Free Member

As above – winter tyres better all year, not just in snow. Quite significantly actually, and I’m no racer.

And it doesn’t cost you much, because running two sets of tyres they last twice as long…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“How well the tyre performs is not affected by the driver’s skill”

but the laws of physics can* be defied by someone that knows how to drive !

* for those unsure – my sarcasm was deployed again.

peterfile
    Free Member

“How well the tyre performs is not affected by the driver’s skill”

but the laws of physics can* be defied by someone that knows how to drive !

* for those unsure – my sarcasm was deployed again.

*glupton to the thread please* 🙂 😉

jonba
    Free Member

Do people think the all weather ones are a good compromise? I probably do 5000miles a year, mostly leisure so don’t drive when the weather is bad as there is no need. I can walk or cycle everywhere I need to get to (shops, work, city centre etc.)

Seems silly having “summer tyres” given how short summer can be. And it would be nice to have better grip when driving conditions are at their worst rather than the other way round.

As a side I find it amazing that on this forum there are people who can manage on one set of car tyres for all conditions yet others who need bike tyres for every concievable variation in weather.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Kept mine on last year, no problems. Switched over again this summer, and really not much difference on the summer ones. Really just changed over to spread the wear a bit.

If you are going to keep a car for a bit you will get through 2 sets of tyres, so one set might as well be winter ones, and the winter ones seem to wear better too.

molgrips
    Free Member

On topic, I find winters a bit squirmy later in the year, lots of soft tread, and they allegedly wear quicker in summer. It’s worth noting that they lose their snow efficacy long before they get to the 2mm limit.

failedengineer

My Freelander has Goodyear M & S tyres on as standard. They seem fine in normal weather. I chuck it around with gay abandon and they grip well, seem to last well (13,000 and looking about 1/4 worn) and are quiet. Regarding P6000s, there must be some pretty fast drivers on here, because I had a few sets on a TDCI Mondeo a few years ago which was driven very enthusiastically indeed and found them OK.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think aftermarket p6000s – like conti mtb tires are different to p6000s that come on cars ….

mines lasted 45k on the front of a 1.6 hyundai lantra….. and got binned due to perishing not wear….

winter tires have two sets of tread indicators usually molly – first indicator is when they lose most of their winter benifits – think these are at 4 or 5mm – on the mainland your tires must be above this for winter use – hence you find cheap part worns on ebay from germany.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think all OEM tyres are different to aftermarket. Which is ridiculous, because you get people coming on here complaining that energy saving tyres are awful and dangerous, when the ones I have are great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

touche – i see what you did there 😉

still wont catch me rolling on ecos …. they dont do them in all terrain pattern 😉

Northwind

molgrips – Member

It’s worth noting that they lose their snow efficacy long before they get to the 2mm limit.

Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day, I think what I’ll end up doing is basically retiring my winter tyres to summer use once they’re past their best, so rather than running winter/summer tyres I’ll run new winter/old winter.

But I will admit that’s partly because my ridiculously massive snowproxes look bad ass.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s common on the continent. If you get to the end of the winter and the tyres are looking worn, you can just leave them on as summers and get new winters next year.

ross980
    Free Member

I’ve been reading this thread with interest as I was going to post something similar myself. I do similar mileage to the OP (4 year old car, 22k on the clock). My front tyres are getting a bit worn (still well over legal limit) but the rears look fine.
    Dilemma now is whether to replace the fronts with Summer tyres or replace all 4 with winter. Another option is to swap the fronts and back round, but I appreciate thats not recommended due to potential oversteer issues (not that I drive that fast, plus the car has ESP). Hmmm.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id swap em round. I do it all the time . Bit of a false economy but puts off the big bill a bit longer 🙂

Avoiding driving like a dick means i avoid potential over steer instances.

molgrips
    Free Member

Swapping fronts and backs introduced loads of tyre noise for me. Hasn’t gone away all summer either.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I’m a convert to winter tyres. My BMW was more than happy to sit & spin on pull-away in mildly frosty conditions, or worse still, snap out unexpectedly – light throttle only. It was running on Conti run-flats. Fitted some Dunlop winter tyres on another set of alloys & it was like night & day.
    When you can climb up “The Struggle” from Ambleside in a few inches of snow (road closed later that day) in a rear drive car & even pass front wheel drive cars struggling onto the top of Kirkstone Pass, then I see that as a result. Fantastic performance on wet roads too, especially standing water.
    Mine do come off for the summer months, as I have two sets of wheels.

matt_outandabout

Yes. Full winters on Yaris for two years now. Some ‘all seasons’ on the Touran for three winters, and now a pair of new winters on front. Both are good quality brand and I ain’t a hard driver, so do not notice a downside in summer, but do notice upside in cold, wet and winter.

crush83
    Free Member

I run Maxxis Highroller II exo all year all weathers, did me through the snow and ice this year

crush83
    Free Member

Haha just seen the “car” bit untie title lol

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Car: Anyone run winter tyres all year round?’ is closed to new replies.