Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car and weather advice needed!
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

My car (a 10 yr old petrol Fiat Punto) has not been used now for 3 weeks due to the constant ice and snow we have here. With no let up in the weather predicted for at least the next fortnight, should I either (a) try and start it and let the engine run for say 10 minutes whilst it's stationary (it is not possible to drive anywhere for now), or (b) wait until the temperature at least gets above freezing and I can get the car out if it does start, and try starting it then, and if it does start take it for a decent drive (and if it doesn't start at least by then the breakdown people would be able to get here – we live up a mountainside in a field so access isn't great!)

Oh, the car did have a full service the day before the bad weather came in.

Any advice folks?

hora
    Free Member

Sue- I'd try and move it fwd or back just a half a metre as well so its not sat on the same spot on the tyres- run it for 20mins is better. No need to drive round the block then.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah let it warm up for a bit, 20mins minimum, and move it about a bit if you can to stop the brakes locking on. If possible leave the handbrake off when you finish too – Just leave the car in gear.

hora
    Free Member

Ps. Whilst you are running the car dont pop back inside the house!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Disagree about trying to move it a bit. The tyres will be fine, especially with such a light car, and as it was just serviced the pressures will be fine.

It may be worth starting, but make sure you run it until it at least reaches normal operating temp so that you have removed all traces of water vapour from the cylinders and exhaust. DO NOT let it idle during this time as
    a) it will not recharge the battery from the effort of the cold start
    b) oil pressure is very low at idle, so letting it idle for any period with the engine cold is the quickest way to damage it

Keeping it at about 1500 rpm (say 1/4 throttle) until hot should do the trick

hora
    Free Member

A 10yr old Punto? May I say congratulations for having a Fiat Punto make it to that age! 😀

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice

CaptainM: do you mean that I should start it and keep my foot on the accelerator for say 20 mins (ie with the car in neutral as it can't be driven anywhere) rather than just leave it running? My main concern was using up what little battery power might be left in it through starting the car, and I didn't think it was possible to re-charge the battery without driving it around?

woody2000

Alternator runs off a belt, doesn't matter if you're actually moving or not. Maybe a brick or something on the pedal will do the trick rather than you sitting in it.

No-ones gonna nick it, so leave it running and go make a brew 😀

psling
    Free Member

If it's recently serviced, your antifreeze should be fine. For 3 – 4 weeks there shouldn't be any need to fire it up or move it. As said above, let the handbrake off and put it in gear to stop handbrake seizing. If possible, lay a blanket / sackcloth over the engine for extra insulation (but remove before you do start it up again!). Above advice if from my company's mechanic 🙂

waynekerr
    Free Member

No-ones gonna nick it, so leave it running and go make a brew

Exactly, who would would want to be seen driving a Punto? 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Extension cable and a battery charger. The only thing that might go wrong with the car is that the battery will run flat.

Sue_W
    Free Member

cheers guys – will give it a go this afternoon.

and less of the cheek about old puntos 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Whilst the weather is bad- why not fit a ICE system and some spinning rims? 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car and weather advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.