Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Car allowance – which of these 2 ?
  • iainc

in fortunate position with company car going back later in year and getting a decent allowance which I need to use to fund a new car, on PCP.

This will do close to 20k miles PA and will also be main family car. Need space, comfort, a bit of ability on icy/snowy stuff, bike racks on roof.

Its is down to a Passat Alltrack or a Volvo XC60 (awd). there is nowt in it, money wise.

I will arrange test drives in due course, but keen for views of those who have lived with either.

Thanks

P-Jay
    Free Member

Never driven either, but neither looks particularly ‘sporty’ and I reckon the Volvo will be more comfortable – important if you’re going to be spending an hour a day or more in it.

somouk
    Free Member

The new passat is huge in side and very well trimmed, the Volvo has a higher driving position and the seats/interior are a lot nicer.

Certainly drive both to see which you prefer. My choice would be the Volvo.

scaled
    Free Member

how tall are you?

Getting bikes on the top of an XC60 would be more of a pain.

iainc

thanks for thoughts so far. Bikes on roof – I will be using a small folding step – used to do this when we have a Scenic and got quite used to it, so not a significant hurdle.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

As CFH I’m sure will agree nothing beats a Volvo car seat for a comfy place to sit.

Be aware that only certain XC60 models are AWD the lower end tend to be FWD only.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

In the true spirit of Singletrack, of those two I’d chose the MX5……

iainc

thanks, yes, have been playing with the model selectors etc, so pretty much know which one I’d go for.

seems more in the Volvo than VW camp so far !

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’ve got an Alltrack, had it a year. Didn’t consider the Volvo, so can’t tell you how they compare.

But I can say that Alltrack is excellent, and I would choose it again in an instant. It’s just one of those cars that feels right and is always able to do what you want it to do – dogs, music equipment/musicians, muddy fields, camping, comfortable, quiet etc.

And you’d be getting the newer version which is even better.

T1000
    Free Member

Off topic but if loading bikes is an issue Thule sliding roof bars are an excellent solution or a friend uses a bike mount sold by Porsche (2nd hand from fleabay) which works on any set of Thule bars and slides across and down

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’d pick the Volvo. Might do myself next time. Having had a Ford Kuga for the last 12 months, I could never go back to being low down again

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got an XC60 SE LUX. It’s really rather ace.

Waderider
    Free Member

Volvo all the way. Based on owning a new Golf in 2003 and now owning two Volvos, one since 2008. So an irrelevant subjective opinion.

gribble
    Free Member

Have got a Volvo, similar spec to bikebouy. Awesome car. But definitely try the alltrack. I have racks on top of mine, but am 6ft 2. Works fine.

Wife has put a national trust sticker in the window and I now feel ancient…

bol

I haven’t driven either, but I’d go for the Passat on the basis that it would be better to drive, bigger in the back and not an suv. Mainly subjective of course. Also, should it matter to you, the VW is at the beginning of its life cycle, while the Volvo is much older.

allfankledup

What is the difference in internal space?

I had a few Volvos, and liked them aside from their maintenance….which was exorbitant (t5r and a t5 – suspension components were a disposable item apparently…). The seats are awesome.

I ran a b5 passat as a company car – had sport seats so firmer than the norm, and did 46k miles per annum in it. Great place to sit all day….

Drive both, see which you prefer

geoffj

320d touring xdrive

andrewreay

Have got a current gen XC60. Do about 18k a year. Very, very happy with it. There are no major vices. As everyone says, the seats are immensely comfortable, it is quiet, quick, refined and boot is a decent size for a family wagon.

There is a forum where you can get into the nitty gritty XC60TrackWorld

On the whole, owners seem a very satisfied bunch.

Haven’t driven a new gen Passat, but lots of previous VAG cars. By comparison the Volvo is a bit less dull and a little less logical – the position of the XC60 parking brake is nuts for example.

On balance though, the XC is a fine car and I’d definitely consider another, despite its apparent ageing design – it feels fresh.

PS have up to 4 bikes on the roof and we use a roofbox for camping. I don’t find any of this a problem. I’m 5’11” and ride fairly hefty bikes.

iainc

great info, thanks all. Looks like the Volvo is in the lead. Will go have a look at them in next week or so and continue the dithering 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Make sure you do the “extended” test drive – Volvo seats for me are the worst thing I’ve ever had the misfortune to be inflicted with.
    Even their “Sports” seats are far from being any such thing.
    I’d rather do the flight to Borneo in a Herc jump seat again than miles in an ovlov 😯
    Hateful, hateful things.

twonks

We have 3 new XC60s and a couple of new Passats at work. All very nice cars and you’d be happy with either.

The XC60 does feel a bit van like to drive and be a passenger in, which for me was a good novelty but I think it would soon get annoying.

Depends on how you drive and what feel you want from a car, but either will be a very nice place to be.

andyl
    Free Member

320d touring xdrive

he wants some boot space!

MrOvershoot

Nearly 2 months in on driving an XC60 here are my thoughts on how I ended up with it.

I test drove/looked at a raft of cars that I hoped would meet my fairly specific needs (wife has SP MS so getting her in and out of a car these days requires it to be fairly high up as lifting out of standard cars is killing my back, wheelchair must go in rear load space without having to bugger about folding things or taking the wheels off)

For reference we have had a Mazda6 estate for the last 8 years that has served us well but its just too low with the lifting, if Mazda made a jacked up 6 estate I would have bought on as along with the Mondeo when I tested them they just drove so much better than other cars of the same price.

So here are my thoughts!

Mazda CX5 spot on for height & it drove far better than its SUV rivals, not to keen on some of the dash materials i.e. hard and scratchy compared to our 6! The load area though tall is just not big enough for the wheelchair & the seats when folded don’t give you a single flat floor as it steps up.

Ford Kuga, much the same as the CX5 only its not as sharp on the road & slightly smaller still. Dash layout is a bit Flash Gordon

Ford Grand CMax OK but it was just a step to far towards Postman Pats van

Hyundai ix35 Like a Korean version of the Ford Kuga but actually a better dash.

Skoda Octavia Scout Not bad at all but that drop/into into the load space makes getting a wheelchair out a PITA & its just not quite enough of a height difference than our old Mazda6 to make it any easier getting in or out.

Volkswagen Passat Alltrack much like the Octavia only nicer materials & slightly newer tech. Very German in a good way compared to BMW IMO.

Volvo XC60 Isn’t as sharp to drive as the Mazda/Skoda or VW but apart from one issue its a very nice place to be, load space is perfect & it came with lots of toys, probably as its due to be replaced next year (not an issue if you don’t have to sell it on)

2 things I would change the edge of floating center console is just where my left knee rests & it gets slightly annoying in city traffic when your foot is on & off the clutch, which leads me to point 2 I wish I had paid the extra for the auto as it probably suits the car better.
    Oh BTW I couldn’t justify the 4WD for the couple of days a year I would need it so went for the FWD XC60 D4 SE Lux Nav with winter pack.

iainc

Thanks for the detail Mr Overshoot, really useful

BoardinBob

Had a Passat and a V60.

The Passat was like driving a shopping trolley

The V60 was lovely

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Car allowance – which of these 2 ?’ is closed to new replies.