Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Car aerial wiring…help!
  • spooky_b329

The aerial on my van has two wires, the normal coax connector and a second wire that has a bullet connector crimped on the end.

How do I work out if its an additional Ground connection, or a 12v supply for an amplified aerial?

Its black, but that doesn’t stand for much as it is moulded into the main cable which has a figure 8 profile.

If anyone can help…thanks 🙂

spooky_b329

Just checked the resistance, 360 Ohms between the bullet connector and vehicle ground.

Cougar

It must be for power, surely. Why would you run an additional earth when a) the outside of the coax is earth and b) vans tend to be made out of metal?

spooky_b329

Thanks…I also found a description saying that if the aerial is less than 50cm long and/or has a spiral outer, it is almost certainly amplified (aka active).

So I zapped it with a power probe and it didn’t trip the probe, so just went for it. The magic smoke didn’t escape so all is good 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Megger it just to check the impedance again, I’ve got a nice old 500V hand wound one you can borrow after I’ve finished punishing the apprentice.

project
    Free Member

It must be for power, surely. Why would you run an additional earth when a) the outside of the coax is earth and b) vans tend to be made out of metal?

Reliant kitten and fox where grp construction.

spooky_b329

Somehow I escaped being zapped with one of those during my apprenticeship 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Car aerial wiring…help!’ is closed to new replies.