Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Car advice – from berlingo to what?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Got a berlingo 1.6 petrol which is perfect for my life BUT is thirsty as hell (31-32mpg)
    Had a Turbo diesel before and was stung with the turbo blowing so am wary of going this route again.

I need it for camping, bikes, load lugging, longer holiday trips etc. Is there a similar car that is reliable but not HDI with better fuel economy??

or do i just go with a “normal” car and tow bar/roof bars?

northshoreniall

I went from diesel blingo to diesel CRV in December. Quite surprised at how much room inside, good economy and very comfy.
    Not put bike inside yet as has towbar but don’t foresee it being issue.
    Was wary would miss blingo space but the comfort of CRV is so much more that am pleased went for it.

iamanobody
    Free Member

what age CRV? whats the road tax/mpg etc?

aP
    Free Member

We went from 1.6 petrol Berlingo to a 1.8tdci Focus estate. Miss the space, don’t miss the fuel economy on one trip we got 26 mpg, Focus has 4 year average of 52 mpg. We bought a 2.5v6 petrol Bongo last year 22 mpg!

alexxx
    Free Member

I’m selling my 1.9 straight d berlingo 🙂 no nasty surprises with this engine and gets around 40mpg on average.

I’ve gone down a silly road by replacing it with a 3.2 v6 and a series 3 land rover.

qwerty
    Free Member

VW Caddy Maxi Life thingy? mucho wonga though but very nice and usable (current Blingo 2.0 HDi owner)

qwerty
    Free Member

iamanobody
    Free Member

too good to be true??

Focus

trail_rat
    Free Member

limited choices with what to change it for and retaining the load space

things i would consider would be the JTD doblo – but it ugly.com and if it wasnt a VW the caddy maxi life.

i wouldnt be scared of a turbo diesel just cause you had one blow , just treat it with respect.

many on here will talk down the letting a turbo circulate cool oil before turning the engine off so it doesnt carbonise in the pick ups but ive stood by it for years and not blown a turbo – inc a 25 year old garret t2.

although i currently run 2 1.9d flat diesels – wont knock your socks off for overtaking but will do 120k all day long down the french motorways from bourg d osian and i can get out at the other end in bruge and not be cripled like most cars (due to my height more than the car)

mean while remember and factor in cost to change in your calcs – at current prices over 15k miles a year your spending 600 quid more on fuel in your petrol over a 45mpg diesel. – but how much will it cost to change

hora
    Free Member

Anything else wrong with the Berlingo?

Take your annual mileage- work it out at 30mpg costwise versus 40mpg costwise.

How much does that 10mpg extra cost you over a year?

Factor in PX’ing/selling yours and the difference in buying the new diesel vehicle.

Is it really worth it?

I own/drive a petrol 2.0 car. I’ll happily suck up the 30mpg on mine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

petrol blingo also wont shit on you with big bills for DMFS , DPFS in due course like any of the diesels out there now. – those are the main reasons i drive a flat diesel.

Clutch kit is like 150 quid for the flat diesel and the cat just got cut out when it rotted and a straight pipe welded in.

frugal motoring . Id have a petrol motor if it wasnt for the fact that low capacity petrol motors struggle when 4 up or loaded with kit.

test drove a dacia logan with their 1.2 TCE and round town it was fine, id go as far as to say great in town. 3 up on the dual carridgeway it was noisy as hell and revving its tits off…. i hate to think what it would be like with a couple bikes on the roof or an engine or gear box in the boot (which is a surprisingly regular occurance in my world)

hora
    Free Member

I had the same 1.6 petrol engine (16v?) in my Xsara Picasso- it took me through 4 countries last Summer with similar economy. TBH I couldn’t fault it.

I’m a big fan of diesels 0-3yrs. I’m a big fan of petrols 3yrs+…

iamanobody
    Free Member

all good points

northshoreniall

2007 CRV, getting about 40mpg out of it – drops if get heavy foot but in 4000 miles it reckons high 30’s to mid 40’s.

Think VED about £200 but not worryingly more than I was paying on 2003 blingo. Well worth it for comfort over long journeys as found blingo seats were starting give me back ache.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Car advice – from berlingo to what?’ is closed to new replies.