Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Car advice . Coolant light on.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Mrs just called – her 1.4 petrol golf just shit its coolant light

Waterpumps been on my warning list for a bit i knew previous owner only did the belt an not the water pump – git

Was noisy and i knew it wasnt alternator or pas pump i checked. She likely to have cooled cylindr head ?

If its going to be spendy its time to get rid – got my eye on older e class merc estates!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

If its the same as some of the skodas.Tells you the coolant is low.The sensor plays up if the weather is very cold…You need to clean the 2 prongs that are in the coolant tank..

br
    Free Member

Waterpumps been on my warning list for a bit i knew previous owner only did the belt an not the water pump – git

But if you knew that, then he’s not the Git…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My Golf did this. Initially it was the two prongs in the coolant filler getting corroded. Cleaned with a screwdriver.

Happened again, but this time it was the headgasket leaking exhaust into the coolant system, causing it to bubble out of the overflow spout and then be too low next time i used the car. Also made the air vents absolutely flippin red hot with the heater on!

davewalsh
    Free Member

I used to have an E-class estate (2001). Was undoutably the worst car I’ve ever had, spent over £4000 on repairs in 2 1/2 years of ownership. I wouldn’t touch another with a barge pole!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hmm was a 2001 merc i looked at today – before car shit its self

66k fsh from dealer and 1 owner – needed timing belt and water pump at cost of about 500quid owner upgrading to newer model h rthan fixing

Might bodynswearve

Going into the garage for a look the ,orn anyway my mechanic will give me honest estimate. – who changes timing belt but not water pump these days – a retard ?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother has the the earlier E class estate, straight six turbo diesel, utterly bomb proof. I would consider one tomorrow if the mothership died.

+1 on the header tank sensor prongs. The same thing happened on my mk1 diesel Caddy. I ran it like that for ten years.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Header tanks empty think its more serious

Just ticked over 100k and i was just waiting on next big bill for two reasons sounds like a bag of spanners due to worn tappets – common on these engines. And more so is that our usage of cars has changed since we got the golf 2 years ago.

Back then it did 25 miles daily through town – returning 40 mpg sitting in traffic mostly.

Now we mainly do long motorway trips as we moved closer to town and both ride to work most days. On m- way golf drinks fuel like its going out of fashion . Geared so low it sits at around 4750 – 5000 rpm to do 70!

if we get a big enough estate car im tempted to get rid of the van

Just a quick look – it is the straight 6 td im looking specifically the 320 cdi. My parents run the e350 v6 diesel – its a beast.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The earlier E class is a 3 litre straight six, the new one is a 3.2 V6. The new ones seem much more complex and rust badly.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It is not common or required to change water pumps at the same time as timing belts. Its not the recommended service interval on any car i’ve had. My focus has a 100k timing belt change interval with no water pump change and the pump is still going strong 50k miles past the belt change. The main issue with water pump failures following timing belt changes is incorrect tensioning of the belt. If you’ve lost water out of your expansion bottle it could be cylinder head gasket. If it is the pump it depends on how quickly the engine was switched off following the loss of water as to any potential damage that may have been caused.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not had any vws then ?? Its a good practice as oppose to a manufacturers recomendation – pretty su the service interval on my van states waterpump at second cambelt interval.

They use plastic impellors on the waterpump

It was already noisy and done 30k since the belt change/we bought the car, and id ruled out everything on the alternator drive belt earlier this week – thats where the noise was from , i knew the only other thing in that area was the waterpump.

Im pretty prepared for the engine to be toast. Engine was topped up ( once cooled) and driven a further 20 miles to the garage.

Is a hateful woefully underpowered under geared city car anyway.

If it was chg failure as a cause and not effect of another failure ill eat my hat. ( once i put it on of course)

Time to ride now last nights whiskys gone 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Been to mechanic

The man from delmomte he say waterpump from the mrs description he think we are unlikely to have cooked the head – ie she stopped + it was sub zero last night + she was constantly moving no traffic and she drives like miss daisy.

Geting the cambelt and tensioners changed at the same time as cost is negligable while he is in there.

I hate the car but mrs t-r likes it :/

trail_rat
    Free Member

Game over,

Mech had a good poke about the car before doing any repair work

Waterpump is dead , head is cooked , water in oil , heads been skimmed already – **** left that reciept out the full service history…. Id have run a mile.

Mechanic says new engine , has to be a 1.4 due to ecus and economical fitting ….. I said lets just scrap it .

Going to nab the 2 new tires and stick them on the steels in my garden and my oakleys out the center consolethe rest can gtf.

Small engines in big cars – never ever again its just asking for trouble. Yes they geared it low but on the motorway it screams.

Now – what car to replace. ( im trying for no car and getting her to use my van which ive used 3 times in the last 15 weeks. )

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

trail_rat – avoid circa 2000-2001 mercs, they had a major supply problem with the steel for the bodywork, some cars had to be totally reskinned, alos MB went through supply chain issues for components and had lost of other niggly problems aroudn that time. Go BM or Audi..if your up to it 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hmmm

Im also looking at non turboed subaru foresters as im not after speed , im after robustness.

Im also half thinking i shouldjust buy a good td5/ late 300 tdi discovery( in spring once snow leaves) and be done , i can strip one of them down to componant parts in my garage, might need a workshop manual for the engine mind as im 19j/v8 knowledgable atmI know what to look for when im buying it and most of the problem points + i can weld haha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Car advice . Coolant light on.’ is closed to new replies.