• This topic has 68 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Car Accident – Who is in the wrong, should I claim !!
  • russ295
    Free Member

Happened to me last Thursday. Local very busy roundabout, that has a multitude of traffic lights on it. When it’s busy there can still be trafic moving on it even though it’s on green. I’d passed the red light and got stuck, when the queue moved off I went, joining the outside lane of a dual carriage way, someone joining the roundabout tried to go straight over and clipped the side of me.
    He admitted fault and has paid for the repair (£490).
    The amount of people that have told me to put a whiplash claim in is shocking tbh! It’s a scrape ffs!

klumpy
    Free Member

Assume you’ve never driven (or seen a satellite view) of that road. Look at the road sign on street view. What does it tell you about how to approach the roundabout? Assume a left turn for the other driver’s exit and a (slightly wonky) straight on for the OP’s exit.

You must be in the left lane to turn left, she wasn’t. You must be in the left lane to go straight on, the OP was.

Ipso, fatso.

edward2000
    Free Member

According to the Highway Code she is

what you turn left to exit a roundabout from the right lane

News to me can you highlight the highway code on this please

Junkyard please reread my posts, you have misunderstood what I have said, especially the bit where I said

How on earth anyone can be in the right hand lane to turn left and think that’s acceptable? She sounds like a moron.

T666DOM

Only an imbecile would be in the right hand lane to turn left.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO you are not in the best lane either

According to the Highway Code she is

[/quote]

I assumed you meant the other car driver as dougie is not a girls name

IS the OP a girl?
    FWIW i agree I was wrong on that comment anyway but the only mentioned female is the one who turned left from the right lane

ell_tell
    Free Member

She sounds like a complete tool with no grasp of common sense nor road positioning. If she thinks you can turn left from the right hand lane then I’d hate to be cycling along that road when she’s on it.

wilburt
    Free Member

If theres no witnesses it’ll usually be 50/50 and a fault claim on you file.

martinhutch

If she thinks you can turn left from the right hand lane then I’d hate to be cycling along that road when she’s on it.

Look out, here she comes!

klumpy
    Free Member

In the face of the doomladen 50/50 naysayers, I’ll re-iterate: Look at the road sign positioned on the approach, and look at how that’s telling you to approach the roundabout.

OP’s exit is straight on, other driver’s is a left.

russ295
    Free Member

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/driver-asda-ashington-carpark-crash-8313668

A local elderly driver, i like the

“I was parking-up in the disabled bay, I have an automatic, and I thought I’d put it into park.

“I took my foot off the break and the car shot forward. Instead of going through the window of the store, I swerved so we hit a bollard”.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Insurance companies like simplicity. If you stayed in your lane and she made a lane change causing the collision, she is at fault.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve used that same junction twice this year (coming from the A3 as you did) as was taking the 2nd left towards the hospital as your crashee was. I used the left hand lane on the roundabout to perform this manoeuvre both times 🙂

eddie11
    Free Member

even if you chose not to claim did you not get her to admit liability at the scene?

Keando

Had a similar incident earlier this year wide single carriageway entrance into the roundabout which had essentially two exits – Left & straight ahead. I was positioned slightly to the left of the entrance to the roundabout intending to go straight ahead. Got hit on the rear offside arch of my car by the guy behind me.

He said I was in the wrong as he thought I was turning left (I wasn’t indicating to turn) and wasnt expecting me to carry on round the roundabout and it was my fault as I “changed” lanes – On a single carriage way roundabout!

Long and short of it was after much chasing my me to get my insurance company to get his to accept liability as he had hit me from behind. No Witnesses etc so ended up 50/50.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

surely her only viable train of thinking can be when she sees people coming from her and your right hand side – in that lane, and turning into that left lane – so their equivalent 12 o clock.

but that’s giving her a massive helping hand in thinking.

You’re right she’s wrong.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

To re-iterate – I’d claim before she does as its going to end up in a claim one way or another…

dougieb
    Free Member

Claim made, was fairly straight forward and easier the expected. The lady didn’t admit liability – her defense was that as the exit that she was making had 2 lanes she could make her maneuver from the right lane!

Claim is going to Admirals liability department and I’m not holding out for anything other than 50/50.

dougieb
    Free Member

Don’t think there is a road sign indicating positioning – I’ll check when I next drive to work

ChrisHeath

I’ll re-iterate: Look at the road sign positioned on the approach, and look at how that’s telling you to approach the roundabout.

OP’s exit is straight on, other driver’s is a left.

To be fair, the OP’s exit (signed ‘superstore’) is slightly right, not straight on.

No doubt about hers though. She’s in the wrong lane, and turned into you.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Disagree with a few on here.

How I was taught – anything beyond ’12 o’clock is righthand lane. Anything before is lefthand lane unless stated by road markings.

You are right, she is wrong and that’s before the fact she should have been paying due care and attention and been prepared to yield to the inside lane.

50/50 is the worst case in this situation but good luck.

skids
    Free Member

OP could have been in either lane for that exit, because anyone in the right hand lane is turning right and the OP’s exit is slightly right so worst case scenario they are using the same exit which is fine

Edukator
    Free Member

What were the relative speeds of the vehicles, OP? Were you overtaking on the inside?

johndoh
    Free Member

I had similar once, in r/h lane to go straight on (as per road markings) and had someone broadside me as she used the left lane to turn right! Turned out she was a German student and had just arrived in the UK that morning and admitted she had no clue how our roundabouts worked.

The next day I got a call from her saying she had advice and it was my fault as I shouldn’t have been in that lane.

So I took photos of the road signs/markings and had the local traffic officer write a letter stating I was driving correctly.

I ‘won’ that one 🙂

joat

This is why you should boot it off the line every time!

wilburt
    Free Member

Doesnt really matter who was in the right, without witness it’s one person word against another so 50/50.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

She is an idiot, but more importantly she is wrong. Unless that’s what everyone else does at that roundabout.

And it is! Rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of rush hour traffic leaving the A3 turns left up Egerton Rd towards the hospital/business park, from both lanes of the slip road. If the OP makes this journey every day he would be well aware of this. To get to Tescos (straight on) safely you need to be in the right hand lane approaching the roundabout.

Edukator
    Free Member

Was anyone using indicators?

simmy
    Free Member

I’d have used the Right hand lane for the 3rd exit.

Just had a look on Streetview, and the 3rd exit is Signposted ” superstore ” and on the sign is not at 12 o clock, more of a 1 o clock.

She’s in the wrong totally and I would fight it tooth and nail. Who turns left from a right lane ?!?!?!?!?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Car Accident – Who is in the wrong, should I claim !!’ is closed to new replies.