Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Car accident advice needed fairly urgently folks
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all. Need some advice…

Had a bump on the way home yesterday (my fault completely, just nudged the back of the car in front).

My car isn’t damaged as far as I can see but his has a small amount of damage.

He’s been really reasonable and says we can either go through insurance or I can pay a repair garage to fix it.

I have a small issue… I recently got 3 points for 36mph in a 30 zone and I’d not got around to telling my insurer yet.

I need to decide tomorrow whether to pay for a repair or try and use my insurance.

Are they likely to refuse to pay out on account of me not updating them about the points?

I reckon it’s a £1500 repair, New bumper, paint etc.

Not sure what to do.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

enfht
    Free Member

Were you given three points before or after you renewed? Before would be worse imo.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Worst case scenario, you’re paying for the repairs, I’d phone your insurers and tell them what’s happened and take it from there.

chilled76
    Free Member

After, it was only a few weeks ago and I’be just been slow at getting on the phone. Really annoyed with myself!

scotroutes

That – and how “recent” is recent?

IME, insurance companies will ignore a 3-point speeding endorsement as far as premiums are concerned.

Swelper
    Free Member

hey likely to refuse to pay out on account of me not updating them about the points?

Depends what the policy reads. If it does then pay yourself, saves any hassle.

Also ensure if you go that route you have a signed statement indicating the matter is closed and no further action can be taken

chilled76
    Free Member

Probably a month ago

breadcrumb

When I’ve informed insurance about points they’ve told me that they only affect the next premium.

cyclistm
    Free Member

my ill informed opinion is its not worse messing about for, I’d fess to your insurance company.

I reckon any penalty (extra premium probably) would be significantly less than the potential cost of the works.

ctk
    Free Member

Are you sure about £1500? If repair was a bit cheaper I would avoid telling Insurance.

Can you get a quote before you decide?

wrightyson
    Free Member

You don’t have to tell your insurer that you’ve got points unless they ask at renewal, which they will do. But phoning them to tell them mid term isn’t required surely?

Drac

Stop worrying.

Are you sure about £1500? If repair was a bit cheaper I would avoid telling Insurance

You have to inform them of a collision regardless.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yeh pretty sure on £1500, had a few rear end repairs done in the past.

sidders34
    Free Member

It’s unlikely your insurer would refuse the claim because you have 3 points since renewal.

The premium was based on your risk at the time you took the policy out and runs for a year. As long as you tell them before renewal you will be fine. 3 points may load your premium slightly next year.

Remember also that as you have no damage to your car you won’t have to pay your excess for the third party repairs either.

Chris

chilled76
    Free Member

Wrightyson, are you sure?

Drac.. is that supposed to be helpful?

enfht
    Free Member

If Wrightyson lives up to his name then you’re home and dry.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Get a few quotes.

Some kind soul left a nice split in my front bumper over the weekend without leaving their details.
    Chips Away have quoted me £160 + VAT to repair the bumper AND polish out an earlier scuff in one of my doors

andyl
    Free Member

£1500!

You can do a lot of cosmetic repairs with new panels for that.

Get him to get a quite from a decent place (tell him to try Fix Auto as they are a proper insurance repair place not a back street garage) and it should come in a lot less.

chilled76
    Free Member

Sod it I’m going to claim, I think you guys are right.. I didn’t have the points when I took out the policy so should be fine. I’ve got protected no claims too.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’d get a quote if I was you. Mate had someone reverse into him over Xmas, smashed grill,busted number plate, big split through bumper. Cost £250 to put right, and thats not a bodge job either, its where a lot of the insurance companies send the work around here.

Drac

Drac.. is that supposed to be helpful?

You have nothing to worry it’s not an issue.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Yeh pretty sure on £1500, had a few rear end repairs done in the past.

riight….

jamesfts
    Free Member

Unless it was something exotic you ran into or it was a hell of a smack (more than just panel damage) I can’t see it being anywhere near £1500.

nickjb
    Free Member

Could be £1500 if going via insurance but cash will make it cheaper. Many repair shops pile onto the bill once they know an insurer is picking up the tab. Also you risk your premiums going up for the next few years so you need to factor that in.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Car accident advice needed fairly urgently folks’ is closed to new replies.