Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Car, a taxing question.
  • itstig

I’ve just insured my old fiesta which has been on a sorn. For some reason I asked for the insurance to start on 02 August. Today I can only tax it from either 01 July or 01 Aug, either paying for almost a month or being taxed but not insured for a day. Would this day uninsured catch me out in the future if i chose 01 August to start?

somouk
    Free Member

I don’t think they will let you tax an uninsured car, I thought they checked it these days?

nealglover
    Free Member

Ring the insurance and ask them to start it a day earlier.

alanf
    Free Member

Tax it on Wednesday when the insurance kicks in? – you’ll still have to pay the full month though so better to get the insurance to start earlier.

itstig

It really isn’t a big issue when the insurance starts, I’ll tax it on the second, I was just wondering if the day difference could get me in trouble in the future should i be pulled and given a HO/RT1. Full month as in August or July?

wwaswas

Tax it for August, don’t drive it until the 2nd. Or phone the insurers.

Cougar

I don’t think they will let you tax an uninsured car, I thought they checked it these days?

It may have changed since I last had to tax a car, but historically that’s always been the case since I started driving in the early 90s.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I don’t see why you’d have a problem in future. I assume your insurance will run for a year, so you’ll be insured up and including 1 Aug next year, so can tax it as from 1 Aug 2018 any time up to then.

aracer
    Free Member

Agreed – it’s normal to be continuously insured and taxed, which is the situation for me even though they renew at completely different times (and the insurance is part way through the month). You’ll always be insured when you come to renew the tax. I can’t see why it would be a problem, there’s no particular reason why they need to be the same day, and a day difference isn’t really any different to 6 months difference which is what mine now is (insurance renewal now on the date I got this car as I got a new policy, but it came with 6 months tax, from before the rules changed).

nealglover
    Free Member

I was just wondering if the day difference could get me in trouble in the future should i be pulled and given a HO/RT1.

Can’t see why you would think this would cause an issue.

You will be asked to produce docs to prove you were insured /taxed etc on the date you got the producer.

As long as you are, what’s the issue.

itstig

Something in the back of my mind was niggling me that if there was a gap between the two, the system would flag it up and a retrospective fine/points applied.
    The situation was never going to occur i have just been idling around.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Car, a taxing question.’ is closed to new replies.