Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Captain "Winkle" Brown
  • bencooper
    Free Member

He’s got some pretty good stories…

– A test pilot who flew 487 different types of aircraft
    – Made the first ever carrier landing
    – Went on to do another 2406 of them
    – Interrogated leading Nazis after WWII
    – Crashed 11 times
    – Met Churchill and George VI, was friends with Neil Armstrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22254048

andybach
    Free Member

I heard the interview on R4 on saturday morning – an amazing life!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_(pilot)

TuckerUK
    Free Member

His autobiography is a fascinating read.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I got a few of his books; his autobiog is astounding and his ‘Wings of the Luftwaffe’ is like a Haynes manual for WW2 German planes.

He should have been the first man through the sound barrier and should have an airport named after him not be a fringe figure of interest to plane spotters.

jimw
    Free Member

I have been fortunate enough to meet him twice, once at a talk at Yeovilton Fleet Air Arm museum, the second time at the Shuttleworth Collection nr. Biggleswade.

Not only is he an excellent speaker, on the second occasion talking for an hour and a half without notes, but he is a real gentleman, modest and seemed genuinely interested in the questions put to him. He stayed behind to talk to people and he must have spent another hour non-stop doing this. I think he was 91 at the time. After all this, and another hour or so signing books in the afternoon after lunch, he drove himself and his wife home which was over two hours away. I just hope I have as much about me if I reach his age.

As you might guess from the above, he is one of the most remarkable people I have ever met, and a real inspiration

He didn’t do the first carrier landing, that was in 1911, but he was the first to land a Jet on a carrier, the first to land a twin engined aeroplane on a carrier, the first to land a nosewheel aircraft on a british carrier etc. etc.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

He should have been the first man through the sound barrier.

He probably would have been if we hadn’t of allowed the Yanks to examine (and ultimately copy) our aircraft design (the moving tailplane) in exchange for details of their record attempt aircraft, which they then refused to provide! They did exactly the same thing years later on nuclear technology, taking all our data then passing a law prohibiting them from sharing theirs. That surely is a ‘special’ relationship.

lucien

Tbh, sounds like a bit of a euphemism of a name…..

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It is. He claims it’s his small stature that gave him his nickname.

I’m not so sure…

jamj1974

Tucker UK +1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Captain "Winkle" Brown’ is closed to new replies.