Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Captain Mainwaring's Invervar Shoe .Loop
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

We’re doomed!

Captain Mainwaring’s ride wish list included the unridden Invervar Horse Shoe Loop in Glen Lyon. Potentially four Munros starting with an 878m ascent and ending with a 865m descent, with a few ups and downs in between.

Ten guinea pigs turned up, one travelling all the way from Carlisle on the morning.

The weather held out, but not before threatening our assault on the first Munro. We sided with caution and swerved it in favour of completing the other three. In retrospect the weather held and we were perhaps no more than 20 minutes from summiting it.

The cloud base dropped, reducing visibility on the summit of Carn Mairg to near zero. The Captain’s finely honed navigation skillz found the second top of Meall Garbh without fuss. It was rideable between the two tops.

We had a descent and some flowy singletrack and a carry up to the top of Carn Gorm. A group of walkers sheltering at the cairn inspired all ten of us to hike a bike non stop to the summit.

The final descent should be added to Stuartie-c’s ever expanding list of top fives.

My pictures only show a fragment of the total drop.

Niche of the year award goes to the guy who ripped his mech hanger off within yards of the summit and who descended nearly 800 vertical meters CHAINLESS!

A huge thanks to Captain Mainwaring for his inspired route finding.

No need to panic in future.

More pics here. A leaking camelback into my camera made the images more a little more foggy.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/mcmoonter/20110424InvervarLoop#

stuartm555
    Free Member

Awesome day out 🙂 thanks again to you and the captain for your guiding services! Most of my photos are rubbish … the last descent was so good I couldnt stop to take any!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

the last descent was so good I couldnt stop to take any!

I only stopped to take photos when I fell off on the last descent.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I reckon that list is approaching 35 now, Mc.

Looks like a cracking day out – I was only fit for SXC spectating today.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Photos here:

Glen Lyon Horseshoe

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Did anyone get a picture of the chainless riding god?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Great write up Peter.

T’was a truly cracking day out in a great mountain environment. Great riding and great company. Definitely goes into my list of top descents. Might even try it the other way round next time for a change, and take in the 4th Munro

epicsteve
    Free Member

How much riding was there on the loop? I walked it the best part of 20 years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy, however I don’t recall it as being a particular good candidate for doing with a bike!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I would guess at about 50/50 walk/carry to ride time. In terms of distance probably about 70% rideable

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Great day out, cheers.

Procession

Click pic for more

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great pics Stuart.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Captain Mainwaring's Invervar Shoe .Loop’ is closed to new replies.