Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Capra owners with rear RC3's
  • bgascoyne
    Free Member

Having a problem with lateral movement in my rear shock on my Capra CF. Changed the DU Bush and its still there. There are two black spacers that slide on the axle/pin that goes into the bushing. On my shock the pin protrudes about 0.05mm out of the end of one spacer (while being flush on the other one) which results in the spacer being loose when the axle bolts are tightened as the spacer cannot touch the frame. This doesn’t seem right to me as I thought that the spacers should both be tight against the frame.

Question – can anyone take a look at their rear shock to see if there are any small washers on either side of black spacers. It feels like I am missing some but I cant be certain. Second hand bike so wondering if the previous owner “left” something out when working on it at some point

Cheers

dropoff

I also had this on my bike from new. When I contacted YT they were bemused !! Eventually I fitted a small ‘o’ ring either side and its been fine since.

Trimix
    Free Member

Take a photo and email it to YT. They are pretty helpful. Have you asked on the Pinkbike YT forum ?

lewis75
    Free Member

I’ve had similar problems with mount kits on new bushes. You might just have to try wiggle the axle pin into a more central position so the spacers sit flush on both sides. I don’t think there are washers on the spacers. New mount kits are reasonable cheap on CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/rockshox-rear-shock-mount-hardware-1-2-x-1-2-/rp-prod54654

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

My Capra is OK but a mates one had this problem,it’s only one of 2 things the spacers being wrongly sized or the tolerance on the carbon seatstay being out a bit.He had a new seatstay under warranty as he also had side to side play in the horst link at the time.New one was fine with no ‘slop’ .

bgascoyne
    Free Member

hmmmm, sounds like I’m not the only one with this issue then. How could they have not picked this up when it was put together in the factory. Its pretty obvs that the spacers are wrong. I have emailed YT to ask about it. I might just buy a new mounting kit and hopefully the spacers that I get will be correct.

tillydog
    Free Member

There are two black spacers that slide on the axle/pin that goes into the bushing. On my shock the pin protrudes about 0.05mm out of the end of one spacer (while being flush on the other one) which results in the spacer being loose when the axle bolts are tightened as the spacer cannot touch the frame.

Pic from your other thread:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xh5wzr97pfm6qyi/shock1.jpg?dl=0

This doesn’t seem right to me as I thought that the spacers should both be tight against the frame.

Generic engineering observation:

I would expect the axle to be a close fit in the shock bushing and be held tight between the frame lugs when the clamping screw is tightened, so that there is no movement between the axle and the frame. I would expect the width of the eye/spacers to be slightly shorter than the axle so that the shock eye is held in the middle of the axle by the spacers with sufficient clearance for it to rotate freely on the axle (your 0.05mm difference seems reasonable for this).

What problem is the lateral play causing you?

lewis75
    Free Member

Looks like you have the mounts around the wrong way. The “top hat” part of the mounts should be against the shock.

Liftman

^
    This

benpinnick

You need to centralise the axle in the shock, the way round you run the spacers makes no difference as long as there is just the right amount evenly spaced on each side.

deanfbm
    Free Member

How are you assessing there’s lateral movement, grabbing the shock on moving it?

The shock/bushes should have lateral float.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

How are you assessing there’s lateral movement, grabbing the shock on moving it?

Tightening up the seatstay mounts and leaving the shock out of the frame mount. Moving the shock side to side. The axle moves (enough to say it has play) in the mounting gap. The bolts are tight, maybe not 12nm however. Maybe i’ll nip down to the bike shop and get it tightened to 12nm exactly to see if that sorts it out.

The axle isnt really a snug fit. Once its in, it has a fair amount of wiggle room. Prob 1mm. My other bikes have had next to no wiggle room at all. How much does a carbon frame bend to accommodate the slack?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Capra owners with rear RC3's’ is closed to new replies.