Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Capra Creak help?
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Hey guys,

just wondering if someone could help.

I have a creak on the Capra when I peddle on both sides. I’ve changed the bottom braket to a Hope one. I’ve re-greased and tightened everything around the crank area. That includes all the bolts on the chain rings etc. I’ve taken my pedals off and taken them apart. All re-greased. Re-greased saddle, which was creaking, but has not stopped. New chain on and lubed.

If I stand up on the bike and bounce up and down there is no creak, only when I pedal. Though I can’t really produce the movement of the frame exactly the same so could it be the frame? Can the cassette be the problem? I’m sure I can feel it through the pedals so would that not suggest a drive chain issue? Not frame?

Not sure what to do next, but it’s driving me nuts. Bike is only 12 months old and I haven’t ridden it a huge amount as I have an all mountain bike ,which I used too.

What am I missing guys? It’s like that old golf advert from the 80’s with the earing!

Not carbon btw….

Help! LOL

Cheers

Rob

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have you removed and cleaned all the pivot bolts? That seems to be the only obvious thing you’ve missed. Also check headset is tight and mech hanger as well (ridiculously, you’ll need an 18mm spanner for that!)

giddyrob
    Free Member

Thanks, I think that’s the next point of call.

Just bought a torque wrench so will go round and give it the once over. There is one good thing though… I’ve pretty much serviced a load of the bike cos of it 😉

If it’s not that then I guess I’m onto the headset.

Someone needs to invent a creak tool for detecting this shit. I’ll buy one…. Take my money!

I did hear a good life hack for sorting creaks though… Put your headphones on and turn it up….. Just don’t like sounding like steptoe on the trails 😉

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I can’t help but am interested in any answers, I’ve got exactly the same problem with my YT Capra but haven’t gone very far with the troubleshooting.

My creaking started only when powering down the left peddle and used to more or less go away when I cleaned the drive chain. Now it’s worse and on both sides and doesn’t go away after cleaning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I did hear a good life hack for sorting creaks though… Put your headphones on and turn it up.

Mechanic at my local bike shop was told that by mojo after the recall of his fox 34s, I kid you not!

giddyrob
    Free Member

I know that the chain can do it if you don’t lube enough…. spent a good few hours servicing my other bike only to find out I’d forgotten to lube up 😉

Can’t believe Mojo said that… Fox -“Buttery with a side order of old barn door”

johnas7
    Free Member

ive got the same thing on my capra. Just put a new hope bottom bracket in, started to creak on the left hand side. Mate thinks i need a new crank so gonna have a look at that.

giddyrob
    Free Member

If that’s the case then Raceface can really do one! Won’t be buying their stuff. That’s cos I heard their BB was a pile of rubbish and to be fair the bearings had pretty much gone on mine already. Hence putting hope on there as i can just swap out the bearings. Though the hope one is twice as expensive so guess I’ve paying for stainless steel bearings not just steel.

Still, all a bit precious considering the bike is for chucking off stuff. Needs to man up a bit!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Clipless pedal user? May be the pedal or a cleat that needs attention!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mate thinks i need a new crank so gonna have a look at that

Unless there is a visible issue with the crank, it’s miles down the list of possible causes.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Flat Vault pedals. Had them apart and put grease in. I don’t suspect them really as it’s a bit strange it happened at the same time on both sides. Not impossible, but not likely. They are brimming with grease now 😉

I’m thinking frame like someone mentioned as I haven’t checked the torque and I haven’t touched since I got the bike. Again, by the time this is done I’ve saved myself some money sending it to the lbs. Always a bit of a learning curve with new bikes with different components.

So does anyone suspect the cassette? Thinking of taking that apart for the laugh too 😉

Cheers

giddyrob
    Free Member

BTW, I haven’t checked my earing 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI_rU7_AJnQ[/video]

gelert
    Free Member

Rear mech clutch? All Shimano ones I’ve had 2x Zee and 2x M8000 have squeaked / creaked at some point and you’d swear it was coming from the BB area. I’ve got an oval chainring that don’t help but turn the clutch off and the noise vanishes. I fill the clutch with grease until it stops squeaking!

I’ve also had squeaky pedals from bushing wear. Changed to other pedals from the spares box confirmed it was the pedals that time.

Raceface Cinch cranks can also have crank arm / axle interface creaks. Shimano cranks tend not to have that issue. I believed it was the BB first and pivot bearings second but I changed those and eventually confirmed off the bike that it was the Carbon bond with the axle interface creaking. Took 6 weeks to turn around the warranty on that plus a fair amount of faffing around “testing”.

BFITH
    Free Member

+1 for pivot bolts… took me ages to find creak on mine. Turned out to be on the V4L linkage.

chief1409
    Free Member

+1 for pivot bolts me thinks. My two mates both have Capras and one has the creak….

colp

My creaking started only when powering down the left peddle and used to more or less go away when I cleaned the drive chain. Now it’s worse and on both sides and doesn’t go away after cleaning.

If it’s got the Raceface cinch cranks and chainring system check that the chainring hasn’t come loose.
    Whip the drive side crank off and there’s a ring which tightens to lock the chainring on. This comes loose and there is a tiny bit of play between the chainring and splined axle.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Cheers Colp, I’ll check that out.

giddyrob
    Free Member

yup, will check those pivot bolts. The cranks are greasier than John Travolta so not sure it’s even possible for it to be coming from there 😉

I swear you need a spare bike in bits to sort this. A bit like back in the day when building computers. Used to have two so I could swap out components to trouble shoot the thing when it went down.

Cheers

konanige

Is it Sram 1x ? if it is take off cassette and regrease with enough to lube an entire lorry. This solved it with mine seems to be a bit of a thing with the xd driver. Also try greasing dropouts and axle that worked on my last bike, after I’d replaced and regreased everything else!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Capra Creak help?’ is closed to new replies.