Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cape to Cape MTB race in WA
  • Andyhilton
    Free Member

Anyone done it?

Thinking of entering this in October. I’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts or experiences.

Cape to Cape

WildHunter2009

It’s a stunning part of the world and the trails through the karri forest are amazing. Not done it myself but it’s a pretty big deal in WA. Expect a lot of mentally fast local guys.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’ve been to the Margaret River a couple of times. It’s fantastic scenery and weather is awesome, I was hoping a couple of people would have done it. I’m not expecting to win, just enjoying it will be enough.

farm-boy

I’ve not done it but have supported mates (was injured) and have ridden in the area extensively.

This year will be a bit different as it is the 10th anniversary and all stages will be based around Margaret River instead of the usual point to point each day. This should make the event even better as the logistics will be much easier, the trails better, loads more singletrack and no stupid beach section.

If you are even vaguely taking it seriously work hard to get a good grid on the first day so you don’t get held up in traffic on subsequent days. Not only will the local pinners be there but it draws a good national field as well.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Margs is a wonderful place to ride. Our friends have a house down there and it’s right on the edge of the trails and 2 mins from town. Hairy Marron is also a fab bike shop – so friendly and great coffee and food too.

I won’t do it this year but I’ll deffo get my “@rse in gear and do it next year.

Pemberton is also fantastic for riding, and Munda Biddi too if you don’t mind struggling on pea-gravel (ideal fat bike territory!)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Where you based Andy? I’m 30 mins from Jarrahdale

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’m in the UK. We’ve got family in Perth and have stayed in Dunsborough a couple of times. We are hoping to stay in Dunsborough again and just do the ‘commute’. We’ll find out if we can do it on Weds, when my wife gets her holiday request signed off.

PJ266
    Free Member

Would jump at the chance to do it, lived in Dunsborough for a couple of years previously, paradise.

In West Wales now, the hills are bigger but its a bit colder 😆

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Cue a new thread…what bike for Cape to Cape….

farm-boy

On a normal year ie not this year, it is very much hardtail 29er territory. The vast majority of the course is fast firetrail.

As mentioned above, there is likely to be more singletrack this year – and really good stuff at that – so you might enjoy it more on a more fun bike.

Ultimately it is an XC race though so the fastest bike that you are comfortable riding for around 3 hours per day for 4 consequtive days.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’m thinking a Camber or StumpyFS. Other options up to the 3k mark will also be considered.

WildHunter2009

Is it taking in the pines and lost world trails? If so that would be awesome. 29er trail bike would be awesome.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On my list of things to do when I can line it up.

farm-boy

The Pines, especially the new Compartment 10 trails, and Middle Earth are likely to feature even more than usual this year.

farm-boy

The Pines, especially the new Compartment 10 trails, and Middle Earth are likely to feature even more than usual this year.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

If you’re heading there you must check out yahava koffee….. Makes a change from wine and olives. The best coffee I’ve ever tasted.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cape to Cape MTB race in WA’ is closed to new replies.