Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Canyon Strive sizing – Bristol
  • northerntom
    Free Member

Just about to spend a fair whack of money on a Canyon strive, but not 100% sure on the sizing. I’ve entered my measurements on their sizing chart, and it’s coming up that I should buy a medium. I currently ride a large Nukeproof mega.

I don’t fully trust the geo measurements for either my NP, or the strive. My mate has a small Strive, and according to the Canyon website, it has a longer reach than my NP, it most certainly doesn’t!

I’m 5″11, fairly normal body shape. I would expect to be riding a large on most manufacturers bikes, so am very confused. Does anyone have a any real life experience, or even better, anyone in and aroun the Bristol area with either a medium or large, of the Strive Race variety, that would let me sit on their bike for a few beers?

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t know how much help this will be, but I’ve had a go on the large and it was just a tiny touch too long for me – I’m 5ft 8in with a long torso.

So I’d say go large and enjoy the benefits of that long frame.

jakebeach

I’m 6ft on a large race, and my mate is 5ft 10 ish I think and also on a large. Both of us find them fine and wouldn’t want any smaller. In Southampton unfortunately no too far to let you try. I don’t think the race sizing is as big as everyone wants you to believe really.

northerntom
    Free Member

ok, thanks for that mate appreciate it. Just really can’t spend that amount of money and get the size wrong!

carlphillips
    Free Member

Am a shade under 5’10 and have ordered the medium race…
    Unfortunately it’s been delayed by a month so far so not received it yet….I’ve a medium mega but feel I should be on a large…the dimensions are deceiving then?! I’m hoping the medium will be OK!!! If it’s not it’ll just get sent back…

northerntom
    Free Member

Yeah, never totally convinced that the geo charts are very accurate.

I would say 5″9 should be on a medium, but the extra 2″ might push me into the large. Been searching in vain and Canyon UK aren’t helpful, offered to go down to their facility and try a bike and they won’t let me, I understand it’s direct sales, and that’s what comes with it, but also it’s nearly £4k, would have thought they would want the money.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Hit the nail on the head. Direct sales, no UK rep. Lot of money for a bike you cannot get your arse on but they are great bikes apparently, delayed orders and shape-shifter failures aside. My mates old Spectral came up quite small for a large but the Strive is a bigger bike obviously.

mark_rich
    Free Member

I have a large race, note that the seat tube on the charts says 460 but mine measures 480 centre to top, bonus for me at 6’3″, but if its borderline 20mm could makea big difference with a dropper post.
    I find it ok for me, plenty of post out but its a long bike, the reach is longer than a lot of XL’s.
    Also the top tube figures on the charts are no where near accurate, large is no where near 648 long as measured as they show.
    Reach is correct though.

oysterkite
    Free Member

I have a strive race medium and it’s pretty much spot on for me at 5’11

oysterkite
    Free Member

I have a strive race medium and it’s pretty much spot on for me at 5’11

Prophet2
    Free Member

I am 5’10 and the medium Strive fits perfect.

rickon
    Free Member

The large is a pretty big bike for someone under 6ft. The reach and ETT on the medium are more like what most bikes would have had on a Large in 2014 and XL in 2012.

The wheelbase on the large is pretty big too.

I’m 5’11, and on a medium Giant Reign, which is almost identical to the medium Strive race. I could fit on a Large with a 35mm stem, but it’d be too much of a handful in tight corners. If I were riding big open DH trails all day long, then it’d be ideal. But I’m not.

You’ll *fit* on both, you may not be able to run a 150mm dropper on the large, but someone with a large and your height will need to confirm.

I’d base the choice on what type of trails you’re riding. Tight, twisty trails – medium, long, straight, max speed DH trails and uplifts, large.

You can use a 50mm stem on the medium and a 35mm stem on the large to get pretty similar reach and ETT. You’ll just have a more agile or more stable bike.

richwak
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but i have had a Strive since last May and both the downtube and seatstay have started turning white which is a sign that the carbon is delaminating . I have asked for a warranty replacement but they haven’t even looked at the bike and they have declined and offered me a crash replacement. This whole process has taken about 3 months due to the fact they take 4 days to reply to every email which prolongs the conversation.
    I would advise staying well away from Canyon until they sort their customer service out. Great bikes….until they break and then your on your own.

carlphillips
    Free Member

mine was delivered a few days ago..Very pleased with quality and build, it looks like a lot of fun, sadly I wont get to ride it for a few days yet…
    it feels spot on, a bit more roomy than my medium mega although the measurements from seat collar centre to stem cap bolt centre are exactly the same at 570mm…
    I was expecting it to be lots bigger given the reviews but for me its spot on…..at 5’11 or 6′ id be be torn between the 2 sizes,

@northern
    tom if you mail me then ill fire you a pic of my medium mega next to the strive to see if that helps you?

Time and time again, I keep hearing about Canyons terrible customer service. Get a YT instead

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Haha!YT? 4 months for a warranty wheel to be replaced!

None of the many people I know who ride them have ever had any problems with warranty claims

But I’m sure I’ll find out soon – mine arrives this weekend, with the ever reliable e-thirteen wheels 😯

rickon
    Free Member

Time and time again, I keep hearing about Canyons terrible customer service. Get a YT instead

Lolz. My mate sent his YT Capra back in January, finally arrived back two weeks ago, and now the shock has had to go back again for warranty already. After sending the bike back he heard nothing for about 2 months.

YT – good customer service? No. Just no.

If you buy direct from Europe you’re paying for less, but you’ll have to expect far less too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Strive sizing – Bristol’ is closed to new replies.