Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Canyon Strive Race vs Mondraker Dune 2015
  • jonny1234
    Free Member

Hi

Looking at buying a new bike and have narrowed it down to the Canyon Strive CF 8.0 Race (Not massively fussed on having the carbon frame so was also thinking I could go for the Canyon Strive AL 7.0 Race to make the extra £ saving) or the Mondraker Dune RR (this is my preferred option at the moment). Mondraker seem to know what they are doing with this forward geomatry thats what is selling it to me!

The thing that is putting me off the Canyon is the new shapeshifter technology. Worried that if something goes wrong it will be a nightmare to get it sorted out as my LBS wont be able to do it.

Can anyone tell me how there Strive CF or AL is to ride and if there is any problems with the shapeshifter tech. And if anyone rides a Mondraker Dune 2015 how is it?

honourablegeorge

Know two people with the Strive, one had the shapeshifter replaced, one had problems, but got it sorted with phone support & fettling.

That said, while he was waiting for the replacement (which was sorted quickly and with little hassle), he was stuck in 160mm mode, and flying up climbs and generally absolutely loving the bike regardless.

As for forward geometry, Mondraker are certainly marketing it, but long front centres are far from unique to them – Canyon, Yeti, Orange al doing it, and more.

I’d have a hard time looking post the Strive if I was buying.

jonny1234
    Free Member

[Know two people with the Strive, one had the shapeshifter replaced, one had problems, but got it sorted with phone support & fettling.]

Yeah the strive does look like a cracking bike. And after having been riding a Canyon for the last 3 Years i am keen to get another.

Like i said though its just the shapeshifter thing putting me off, although if Canyon can sort it out quick if there is any problems it would probably sway my decision a bit more towards the canyon. However saying that two out of two people to have the strive and both had problems with the shapeshifter dont sound good.

pinetree
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Dune as I’ve not ridden one, but I have ridden a few Mondys (foxy & factor) and found them to be brilliant. The Forward geometry thing works (the more aggressive you ride it, the better!) and the vpp-type suspension system seems really effective. I used a Factor 29er for 10 under the Ben last year, and the remote lockout wasn’t working so I did the entire thing (solo) with the shock wide open. Have to say, it pedalled so well that I didn’t even notice!

Another thing to consider so that the Momdraker has a lifetime warranty, backed up by your supplying dealer. It’s easy to get swayed by the spec on a Canyon, but having backup from a local shop rather than having to phone/email some bloke in Germany is worth a hell of a lot, I reckon.

jonny1234
    Free Member

pinetree – Member
    Can’t comment on the Dune as I’ve not ridden one, but I have ridden a few Mondys (foxy & factor) and found them to be brilliant. The Forward geometry thing works (the more aggressive you ride it, the better!

Ah! This is what Im hearing, everyone seems to be raving about the Foxy and how the forward geometry is a treat! Although no one seems to be riding the new 2015 Dunes. I would expect they would be an absolute treat to ride as well though but would be good to hear from someone that has actually had a blast on one.

And yes the dealing with a person in a shop rather than a phone call or email would be good as well. Although like i said i have ridden a Canyon for 3 years now and havn’t had any issues that ive not been able to sort myself…

pinetree
    Free Member

I think a lot of people are moving away from the big 160mm bikes because of how much you can do with a well designed, and well built, 140mm bike.

For what it’s worth though, a buddy of mine has a 2015 dune xr, and had the 2014 one previously. I know he liked the 2014, but reckons the 2015 is better, as they’ve lengthened the TT to match the foxy.
    The principles behind the geometry and suspension system are the same between the factor, foxy and dune, so i doubt you’d go wrong with any of em really.

koldun
    Free Member

I have an AL Strive Race and have problems with the shapeshifter too (or possibly the adapter bit needed to get the air pressure high enough), calling Canyon is on my to do list.
    That said, i can still shift it between modes when not on the bike and if it totally failed i suspect it would default to downhill mode anyway.
    It is a great bike to ride and the longer geo is really good but i’ve not tried the Mondraker so can’t compare.

jonny1234
    Free Member

Yeah, I have contemplated the foxy or the Canyon Spectral as well but the bike I am riding just now is 150mm front and back and im not planning on getting rid of it so thats why Im going for the 160. Wanting the bigger hitter! 🙂

Have ordered the Dune RR into my LBS so can get a leg over it and give it a shot in the car park.

jonny1234
    Free Member

Sounding like I would definitely face problems if I go for the Strive then!

blurty

I’ve read that the shapeshifter thing is less successful if you are heavy. It means the pressure required in the small cylinder is very high and difficult to get spot-on.

No personal experience by the way

jonny1234
    Free Member

blurty – Member
    I’ve read that the shapeshifter thing is less successful if you are heavy.

Well Im sitting at around 14 stone when I have my pack on my back and all my gear on so not sounding to promising for the Strive! Unless i shift a few pounds 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got one and I don’t see how the shapeshifter would be worse if you were heavier. Maybe if you’re too light it would be difficult to engage DH mode. Maybe. Shifting to XC mode is easy though (it’ll do this unweighted in the work stand).

Besides, you can always put more / less air in. It’s really very easy to use and easy to change position. The only criticism is that it’s often difficult to know if it has “shifted” or not by feel alone.

I think canyon have said they’ll send a replacement unit out to you when the time comes to service it.

jonny1234
    Free Member

That would be ideal if they sent a replacement out! So long as it was easy to fit i suppose?

aardvarkissues
    Free Member

I’m a year into my 650b Dune XR now and it’s not put a foot wrong. Love it. Had a Process 153 on order for ages but it failed to show and I’m glad it didn’t as the Mondy is lighter and every bit as capable as far as I’m concerned.

1, Double check sizing – you can’t put a shorter stem on it if it’s too big as I found out with the previous years Foxy! I’m between sizes usually and did the classic go large.
    2, threadlock on pivot bolts – but having said that there was a massive jump in build quality between the 2013 Foxy and the 2014 Dune.

Would definitely have another one, but may consider the Foxy over the Dune – the geometry gives you so much, you can probably get away with less travel and be faster overall.

rabies
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of a 2015 Dune XR 650b in size XL (I’m 6’4″). I’ve ridden it 3 times now. Previous bike was as 26″ Intense Carbine

Some upgrades to the build include roval traverse SL carbon wheels, RF Next SL cranks and RF Sxic Carbon bars. I stuck with the 30mm stem rather than the 10mm.

Bike comes in at 28.5lb including the pedals – not bad for a 160mm XL bike with an aluminium frame.

Impressions so far – very long bike but surprisingly nimble on climbs and in the tight stuff. Very stable at high speed on a descent – which you would expect given its length. No virtually no pedal feedback in climb mode on the shock and its even bearable climbing in descend mode. Rolls OK on flat undulating terrain – but this ain’t no hardtail 29er. Very stable in the air and surprisingly easy to get airborne. It took me very little time to adjust to the forward geometry – about 1 mins on the first ride. Have a few PRs on Strava already

Can highly recommend.

Chainline
    Free Member

Not really sure Yeti, Canyon Orange are dribing the same limits as Mondy. Longer front centres yes but only in large sizes.

I consider myself a M size guy at 5’10” and I ride a custom Nic after trying the Mondys, mine is 665 ETT with a 420mm ST. I’m using a 30mm stem. I wouldn’t want the reach any shorter than the 490mm (to centre head tube) it’s at now. I could make the ETT shorter by moving towards a 76.5 or 77.5 deg ST like Chris P and come back to maybe a 645mm ETT but thats still XL territory in the brands you mention.
    Mondy Dune L has similar dimensions to mine with a half sensible ST length.
    Overall the gap between their XR models and others has narrowed a little but they are still long for their intended audience compared to others.

I’m ok with short ST’s asI wanted to run a big dropper post e.g. 200mm Vecnum.

In summary, I really like the longer front centre, very short stem concept. I think Kirk Pacenti’s PDent will change things as you can still keep the front low. I liked the 10mm stem alot but it was just a touch too high on my 160mm bike. being able to go to 15mm and kep the stack low would be great.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Forward Geo is a myth. If you look at the Reach and TT length of Mondraker bikes they aren’t any longer than other brands (shorter than quite a few)and 35mm stems are nothing special. They’re good bikes and ride well, especially if you’re aggressive with them much like any slack bike.

No experience with the the Canyon.

jonny1234
    Free Member

Im now the proud owner of a Mondraker Dune RR!!! Went and seen it last friday night in my LBS went home slept on it and went back in the next morning and bought it. Absolutely cracking bike! Been out for three rides on it already and its superb (looks fantastic too). Climbs well but excels on the descents (as expected). It just wants to be ridden fast. Had it on my local trails twice and have cut my times already on a few sections. Took it down innerleithen yesterday and it handles everything no bother. Well chuffed!!! 😀

kudos100
    Free Member

Forward Geo is a myth. If you look at the Reach and TT length of Mondraker bikes they aren’t any longer than other brands (shorter than quite a few)and 35mm stems are nothing special. They’re good bikes and ride well, especially if you’re aggressive with them much like any slack bike.

No experience with the the Canyon.

Don’t know where you got that from, they are pretty much the longest bikes around apart from the new mojo nicolai creation/abomination.

Only bike I know where sizing down is actually a good idea.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Strive Race vs Mondraker Dune 2015’ is closed to new replies.