Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Canyon Strive CF – Shape Shifter?
  • aroche
    Free Member

I’m really liking the look of the Canyon Strive, but I have to say, the ShapeShifter thing is putting me off.

It just feels like another thing to go wrong. ie. Does it need to me maintained? Who can do it?
    What happens if it stops working? – eg. Could you get stuck in XC mode?
    Who fixes it if it stops working and can you get replacements?

– Or, is it sufficiently simple that it never needs maintenance and should never cause problems (sounds like wishful thinking?)

Any thoughts?

chakaping
    Free Member

Any thoughts?

Looks like a largely pointless gimmick to me and I agree with your concerns.

And I think Dirt’s review suggested it’s not actually that easy to activate.

AdeC
    Free Member

its just a gas switch. Its either on or off so it should require significantly less servicing than a Reverb or similar. Its also tucked away in the shock linkage so no rocks will be bouncing off it.

I guess if it stops working, then Canyon can fix it.

Personally i reckon this geometry changing thing will become a lot more common on longer travel bikes. Danny at MBR gave it a pretty good review.

devash
    Free Member

I’m liking the fact that Canyon have got with the ‘long top tube / short stem’ programme with their new AM bikes.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Looks like a largely pointless gimmick to me

+1

Solution to a problem that doesn’t exist (see also Bionicon)

IMHO natch 😉

ads678

Surely the problem does exist though, to be able to have a bike that goes down rough stuff really well but also pedals like an XC whippet would be great. You usually have to compromise either DH ability or pedaling efficiency but if this works and isn’t a maintenance nightmare then it’ll change the world as we know it!!! 😀

Oh and WTF is natch?

Rickos
    Free Member

natch = naturally. Obvs.

aroche
    Free Member

so it should require significantly less servicing than a Reverb or similar

How to service is the big question? is it something anyone could do? or would it need to be sent back to Canyon?

I guess if it stops working, then Canyon can fix it.

..which means the bike may need to be sent back, or you’re without a bike for a while

Im actually really liking the look of the new Canyon Spectral CF a lot more than the Strive.

140 CCDB Inline on the back and 150 pike on the front, with long top tube also.

I’m thinking it could be very nice as an enduro race bike, – there are pros and cons with the smaller travel, but 140/150 should be enough forn most terrain. HA is 67 degrees though, – but I guess the upside of that is snappier cornering.
    Looks good as well:

Any thoughts on this bike? – for general use and a bit of enduro racing…

fuzzhead
    Free Member

erm natch = naturally (natch ;-))

i guess so, but adjusting geo + travel in this way may suit “winch + plummet” style riding but does it suit your regular mixed up type riding?

A solution to a bike that combines “XC efficiency when you need it” and “DH plush when you need it” is may be better implemented via something like the Lapierre Ei?

Just a thought…

ads678

natch = naturally. Obvs

….Oh god is that a towie thing then?

STATO
    Free Member

Bring back the specialized Enduro ITCH-Switch!!!

This sort of stuff (if you think you want it) should be in the shock, not another thing bolted to the bike to service.

AdeC
    Free Member

I’ll let you know how easy it is to service when my Strive arrives in November 😀

fuzzhead
    Free Member

That Spectral does look nice!

euans2
    Free Member

They say it should be serviced yearly, you contact canyon, they will send you out a new unit, once you receive it you then send your unit back to canyon…. Job done and no you won’t be without your bike

I’ll let you all know when mines arrives next week some time

aroche
    Free Member

you contact canyon, they will send you out a new unit, once you receive it you then send your unit back to canyon

OK, thats great to know, – if thats the process, it makes a huge difference. Do you know if there is a charge for this? – Any link to info? – I can’t find much info on servicing etc…

joefm

It’s this or the commencal for me. Similar price but Canyon has a better spec. The gas spring makes sense and majority of my riding is up a fireroad and then down a hill. these arent bikes for general AM use – they arent marketed at that and they provide alternatives

Just prefer the commencal brand but the canyon has a better spec

Look forward to some customer reviews.

RickDraper
    Free Member

People using Dirt magazine as reference for anything bike related need shooting.

AdeC
    Free Member

@euans2 i’d also be interested in any info you have on the shapeshifter exchange thing. Also quite like to hear your thoughts on the bike when it arrives. cheers

weeksy

So basically it’s like the Bionicon system but not as good or as well tried and tested.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/shapeshifter/

AdeC
    Free Member

I think Fabien Barrel would beg to differ. The Canyon team have won plenty of Enduro races on the new Strive. Seems pretty tried and tested to me. No idea if a Bionicon is better or worse.

grum
    Free Member

No way I’d be buying one in their first year out from a company with no UK dealers.

righog
    Free Member

with go pro, computer, pop lock, dropper post, gears and shape shifter all you would need is a cape and you would look like you were giving a silent mobile Rick Wakeman solo as you rode along.

FWIW I would have the CF like a shot if I had the money, good to see them back in stock.

milkyman
    Free Member

I for one cant wait to try out the new bionicon, seems to be the best design if you want adjustable geometry, and I think any one else trying to get in on it will struggle be cause bionicon all ready have the patents, I could well be wrong its only a guess

euans2
    Free Member

@aroche & @AdeC
    I read the service info at http://ride.io/news/eurobike-14-canyon-strive-cf/ It’s only a mini review but they had concerns about the shape shifter so they have asked Canyon the question about the service. Unfortunately I dont know about the price of the service but I wouldnt have thought it would be too much as it’s a fairly simple system

chakaping
    Free Member

People using Dirt magazine as reference for anything bike related need shooting.

Touchy Canyon owner ahoy!

zero-cool
    Free Member

I predict that it will not be on the 2016 version of their bikes. Same as the Kona Magic link, and the soon to be obselete Yeti switch link thing.

Tom Kp

tom200

Could you get stuck in XC mode?

I find my self stuck in xc mode frequently, usually due due to weak knees;)

wrecker
    Free Member

I likes it.

euans2
    Free Member

Well, I ended up cancelling my order, I received an email from canyon on the last day of my delivery week, the email said that the bike has been delayed due to hold up in 3 components, the new delivery date was set for January, I don’t think any bike is worth waiting almost 8 months for from order to delivery. From what I hear I wasn’t the only one to cancel ether.

RickDraper
    Free Member

^ Thats pretty appalling.

davidrussell
    Free Member

agree with Rick, i would be gutted and very, very annoyed if that were me. They must have known about supply dates and issues before the end of that week and another 3 months lead time is crazy.

The spectral does look lovely though. any ideas on price for the 150mm 1×11 option?

euans2
    Free Member

Yeah, I am annoyed, more so because I called them the week before asking about delays. They said there were no delays.

Agree with David, they must have know that there were going to be delays. I’ve not written Canyon off just yet as they do some great bikes however I have decided to just keep my Commencal Meta SX for a while longer

The Spectral CF is rumoured to be coming out this week

davidrussell
    Free Member

so it (the spectral CF) will be delivered in time for the 2016 model then 😉

euans2
    Free Member

There might not be the same delays with the spectral due to it not having shapeshifter technology

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Strive CF – Shape Shifter?’ is closed to new replies.