Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Canyon Strive 1 x 11 question
  • peter1979
    Free Member

I have just received a new Canyon Strive with a 1 x 11 sram setup.

I’ve never had a 1 x setup before and the chaining looks like it’s on a crazy angle when in 1st gear (largest cog). It shifts to it fine, but it’s a little noisy and when I back pedal it’s slips down to 3rd – this doesn’t seem normal.

I’ve had a Google and it seems a common issue on early 1 x setups but can’t see anything recently. It’s not a boost crank or rear hub. Is this the issue and do I deal with it, or does it sound like its set up wrong?

oink1
    Free Member

Have you cleaned all the gunk off the new chain and lubed it? I found that it made a hell of a difference 🙂

peter1979
    Free Member

The chain is spotless. Seems to be smooth running in all other gears.

Does anyone else have this issue with 1 x 11?
    It must be to do with how much of an angle the chain is on when in 1St gear. But surely that means loads of other people have the same issue.

otsdr
    Free Member

Yes, known issue with 1x. Don’t backpedal.

scotroutes

What cranks? You might be able to reduce the problem by adding in spacers between crank and chainring (possiblyou requiring longer bolts)

peter1979
    Free Member

It comes with next sl cranks

Would it really be a spacer issue? Surely that means all strives would be the same and I can’t find links to other strive owners saying the same.

Mind you, when you search for Canyon strive problems you just get 10 pages of shapeshifter issues!

scotroutes

As above – it’s a well-known 1×11 speed problem. But, you know, fashion.

peter1979
    Free Member

I just found a look on pinkbike.com about the issue.

Seems like people just accept it. I’m already annoyed with it and haven’t even rode the bike yet!

oysterkite
    Free Member

I used to have a Mini that would really grind when I tried to stick it in reverse at anything over 20mph …..

chakaping
    Free Member

Ride it a bit, the noise may drop off as it all meshes.

That happened with my first 11sp set-up (though that was XT).

pickle
    Free Member

Just ride and enjoy…..oh and don’t pedal backwards

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a well known shimano 11sp issue not sram the drop down. All I have seen run smooth, further set up needed?

nickfrog
    Free Member

It’s a small price to pay IMO – but a bit of wear and / or fine tuning will help anyway.
    I have been riding 1xX for almost 8 years and it really is not for fashion. Don’t see the need for more than 1 ring off-road.

honourablegeorge

Using Raceface cranks & SRAM 11s cassettes on two bikes and don’t suffer with the backpedal thing.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I don’t get that on my Sram 1×11 … but have learnt that it’s all very sensitive to friction and adjustment. Persevere and it will come right I’m sure.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

(When I say ‘persevere’, what I mean is ‘do what I did and take it to your LBS’.)

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t get that on my Strive. I seem to remember it happening for a few rides but maybe went away after bedding in? Can’t remember exactly when it started behaving, but I back pedal a lot so I notice when it doesn’t work and haven’t had any issues recently.

peter1979
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies

I’ll see how it is after a few rides.

Had the bike for a week but won’t get out on it for at least 3 more weeks due to weekend commitments coming up.

Rickos
    Free Member

Never had this on two separate 1×11 SRAM set ups on different bikes, so I wouldn’t say this is a “well known 1×11 problem” at all.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

never have issue with 1×11 pedalling or backpedalling… chain angle on biggest and lowest looks bit odd bu thats just it.

It’s a well known shimano 11sp issue not sram the drop down.

I’ve got all SRAM on my Capra and it’s an issue – I’ve got used to it though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I guess that makes it a capra issue or tuning.

alpin
    Free Member

have 1×11 sram wotnot on my new strive. yeah, sometimes it’ll drop down the cassette if i back pedal, but then i don’t back pedal much when going up hill.

i do however sometimes back pedal when descending technical bits. the chain doesn’t skip when further down the cassette.

gelert
    Free Member

Shimano 1×11 XT upgraders have been suffering this 1x backpedal issue for ages. Also on Next SL cranks but it happens on an SLX triple (1x in middle position) too. It annoyed me enough to go back to 10s but retain the 11s shifter and mech. I was considering a costly switch to an xD driver and SRAM GX cassette on my wheel but I think I’ll leave it since I’ve more or less sorted it and not lost any range. I’d not heard it being a common issue with the 1×11 SRAM setups but enough of you have it as well.

10s XT cassette + 40T expander on one bike.
    11s XT cassette, remove one cog + one up spacer behind 1st + 18T cog kit.

I was in a bike shop recently there was a nice shiny new free standing Shimano 1×11 setup bike, it had a RaceFace crank and SLX cassette… that also dropped on back-pedal in 1st. 🙁

beanum

I’ll just leave this here..

[video]https://youtu.be/Ew03wbHOHS0[/video]

Despite this, I’ve just ordered a bike (Transition Scout) with 1×10. I’ve bought a front shifter and front mech in the Planet-X sale though in case I want to go 2×10…

nickfrog
    Free Member

I laughed at the video above – basically it’s clearly not for him if he’s going downhill at 50km/h off road or if he can’t afford the consumables due to increased wear or if he feels the need to back pedal at full pelt for extended periods.

Never had those issues over the past 8 years that I ride 1xXX

Rickos
    Free Member

Thought about this at the weekend when out on the bike and it occurred to me, why the hell are you back pedalling in such a low gear? Back pedalling is surely going fast round corners to set the outside pedal down and even then only a quarter turn. Why are you in first gear doing that? That’s probably why it’s never been an issue for me in 7 or 8 years of 1x gearing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I back pedal when I’m bored, if I want to and sometimes to warm the legs up a bit. Sram gx 1×11 chain stays in place….
    In nearly 3 years I’m seeing very few problems 1x and no “big” ones. My riding is the same and faster than it was.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Strive 1 x 11 question’ is closed to new replies.