Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Canyon spectral 9.9 vs stumpy evo c
  • ejaskew
    Free Member

Has anyone got or ridden a Canyon Spectral ex 9.9.
    I’m after a new bike in the 29 variety and have ridden a couple of demos
    the latest being a Stumpy 29 evo carbon next Sunday from Biketreks in Ambleside.
    I know the canyons much better value for money, significantly cheaper than the Specialized, but just
    wonder how it’s rides in comparison.
    Obviously I can’t demo a canyon.
    Anyone out there got one and what do you think.
    And if you live anywhere near Ambleside, do you fancy a ride on Sunday ?
    Cheers
    John

JCL
    Free Member

Little steeper HA on the Canyon, slightly lower (boarderline too low!) BB on the Specialized, everything else really close. The Canyon has a 32 which is a pile of crap but everything else is great. The Stumpy frame is lovely and it has a Pike but there is also a load of guff on it.

I bet the suspension is a little more supple on the Stumpy. Still, tough call.

toons
    Free Member

I’ve got a stumpy evo carbon 29er and I bloody love it 🙂 But Canyon bikes are amazing for the price!

Which other bikes have you tested?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MussEd
    Free Member

Don’t think the spectral is out until April if that forces your hand?

MussEd
    Free Member

I thought I’d replied to this post earlier, just noticed a doubler! Thought I was losing it there…,

ejaskew
    Free Member

No I probably posted it twice being slightly computer illiterate.
    I’ve also tested a Whyte T-129 which was awesome but the colour scheme didn’t grab me at all.
    Last week I ride a 5 29er which was very fast but I’m not a fan of oranges
    rear suspension design / feel.
    The canyon I’m looking at has a Fox 34 on the front. I’m sure the pikes are better but I’m not
    buying a bike just based on the forks

ejaskew
    Free Member

Toons
    Have you had any brake squeal from the rear swing arm.
    I keep reading about this issue.

ejaskew
    Free Member

I also like the look of the Lapierre tr729.
    Anyone ride one of these ?

toons
    Free Member

Never had any brake squeal, but i did buy frame only and built it with Hope brakes.

nuke

mattrgee
    Free Member

Toons
    Have you had any brake squeal from the rear swing arm.
    I keep reading about this issue.

I have! Getting some pretty mad vibrations through the back end. Is this a common issue?

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I have a whyte T129 I was pretty anti 29er until I tried this. It is very fast once it’s wound up to speed, betting personnel bests all over the place

trusty

ejaskew – Rear brake vibration here on a Stumpy Evo 29er. Dirt and MBR mentioned it in the last mags, but only on the large frames it appears as the MBR review of the medium doesn’t mention it. Mine is a large as well… changed rotors and pads which helped, but it’s still there.

honourablegeorge

trusty – Member
    ejaskew – Rear brake vibration here on a Stumpy Evo 29er. Dirt and MBR reported it in the last mags, but only on the large frames it appears as the MBR review of the medium doesn’t mention it. Mine is a large as well… changed rotors and pads which helped, but it’s still there.

Avid brakes, by any chance?

mattrgee
    Free Member

Avid brakes, by any chance?

2013 were avids, 2014 are the new Formula C1s. Mines a 2014 in Large and the vibration is a bit odd.

trusty

As mattrgee says, Formulas on the new ones and Avids on the old. Seems strange it’s only on the large size ones. Different rear triangle maybe?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Canyon spectral 9.9 vs stumpy evo c’ is closed to new replies.