Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Canyon Spectral
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m still window shopping for cheap ish trail bikes (2.5k is now cheap ish it seems in this category) that are the rowdy end of trail or the nimble end of Enduro. Anyway I’ve notice that the Canyon Spectral is an option, 160mm travel 64 degree HA etc, but it’s available in 29 or 27.5 versions.

Now I thought we’d given up on 27.5 for most stuff but this is intriguing. Is there any situation in which I’d appreciate the smaller wheels? It would be ridden on a fair bit of steep twisty tech but it does have to be ridden out to those places first.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Check out downtime podcast, they did a comparison of all 3 Spectral wheelsizes in a recent episode.

jimmy

It would be ridden on a fair bit of steep twisty tech

This is why I have 27.5 – and indeed on a Spectral.

but it does have to be ridden out to those places first.

Are you racing?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not racing but I am time limited. The harder it is to ride out there, which involves plenty of climbing and off road in the route, the longer it’ll take and the more time commitment I need to make. And the longer it takes to climb the hill the less time there’ll be for descending.

drinfinity
    Free Member

I’ve got a 27.5 Spectral, and ride similar to you. Tyre choice and pressure makes more difference than wheel size I think. Blown up hard setting out till the top of the hill, softer on the descent home.

peter1979
    Free Member

I ride a 27.5 spectral, although it’s the cf9 which is towards the top of the range.
    Pro’s are it’s very nimble, poppy, fun to ride and climbs really well I’d say.
    Cons are the sizing for me was a bit odd. I’m 5’10” with 30″ inside leg and a medium fits well height wise but sometimes it feels shirt in the top tube whereas from what I could tell the large would have been to tall for me but better length wise.
    It’s a great all rounder but when things get really choppy I prefer an out and out enduro (ride a friend’s nomad and it really opened my eyes as to how hard it could be pushed and even climbed as well as my spectral).
    I do have to say though it’s felt the best bike to ride I’ve had so far. Go for it I’d say. (Note though mine is carbon everything and pretty light so the more budget options might not be as nimble)

molgrips
    Free Member

The 29er is 1kg heavier than the 27.5 like for like i.e. the sheaper GX equipped one.

stupot
    Free Member

I have the 2018 version. Been happy with it, very tempted by the current mullet version.
    I’m 5’10 and echo the thoughts above, could be a tiny bit longer, but I think this is in my head. I spend more time on a 29er, and the spectrals little front wheel looks like it’s tucked further under me (if that makes any sense), when actually the wb is about the same. Hence wanting to try a mullet

jimmy

Funnily enough, I’ve had mine for 5+ years and lived it. Then last year I noticed it felt like I was hanging off the back on techie but not steep trails and concluded the bikes a bit short for me. But for all I ride it these days (I wish it was more) I’m not to fussed. It’s great on the steep and techs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm well the chart says M for me at 180cm but I could get L.

Still a tough choice of wheel size though.

jimmy

I’m with with drinfinity, I’m sure wheel size can make a difference but I doubt you’re going to save yourself any significant amount of time with a 29er on the cycle out / back. Personally I’d prioritise the primary intention of the bike (nailing the steep and twisty trails?).

campfreddie
    Free Member

29er all day long… i’ve now switched away from all of my 27.5 bikes to 29er (I’m 1.85m btw) and i am riding super technical and steep trails out here in Madeira. For sure, 29 wheels do make the bike feel a bit big sometimes (Canyon Strive CF), but overall, the increased stability, comfort and the way in which the bigger wheels plough through and over stuff that would bother a smaller wheel is worth it to me. back in the UK, i rider a Transitional Smuggler 29er which is shorter travel and feels really ‘poppy’.

Now i’m just trying to find an excuse to buy a new Torque 29er (with a coil shock).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Spectral’ is closed to new replies.