Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Canyon Spectral
  • mccraque

I’m hatching a plan b at the moment, in case my beloved Zesty never returns from it’s orthopedic issues with the frame….

I’ve been perusing the Canyon website and am very curious about the Spectral.

Anyone own one on here? I’ve been looking at the geometry in comparison with the zesty, and it looks to have a really short top tube. Canyon is suggesing a small for me…whereas I think I would be somewhere between a medium and large based on the dimensions. I’m about 5’11” of average arm, leg and body proportions!

Any other comments about how the thing rides would also be appreciated. Looking at both 27.5 and 29….

HughStew

I’ve just ordered a Spectral 29er. The online whoojammaflip said I needed an L, but a mate has an L and it’s definitely too small for me, so I went for an XL. I hope its OK as there’s quite a jump from L to XL.

So I’d treat the online suggestions with caution.

mccraque

How tall are you Hughstew?

MSP

Their online tool defiantly recommends a size to small IMO.

The jump from L to XL is a bit weird, if you look at the increases in TT and ST as it goes up through the sizes, then the TT increases by the same amount as the others but the ST increases by almost double.

HughStew

I’m 6’4″, and my inside leg measurement put me just into the L category, increase it by 1cm (in the calculator, not in real life!) and it recommends an XL, so I reckon I’ll be ok. Riding the L wasn’t ridiculous but did feel cramped.

maico
    Free Member

Make sure you measure your inseam properly. Book or ruler hard under the crutch measured down to a hard floor.
    The OP must be a freak of nature if a size small comes up for someone 5′ 11″ tall !

andytherocketeer

seems to be common amongst all of those online size tools. 1cm variation in one measurement (esp. inside leg) can be enough to change the recommended size. Canyon, YT, Liteville are all the same.

Either Germans have odd body size, different taste in bike fit, or at 6ft2 (and a half) tall, I’m right on the L-XL boundary for bike sizes for most mfrs.

If in doubt, I’d probably go up a size and scale down the stem if necessary.

akira

I’d recheck your measurements as I put mine in and it advised a medium and I’m about 5′ 8″. If you’re unsure call them I guess.

chris_db
    Free Member

I am 6’2″ but I have a long back and this really confused the Canyon software, said I needed XS!!!

Fair to say a L in the Nerve AM fits me fine.

C

maico
    Free Member

I’ve had my Nerve 7.9 29er almost a year now. I’m 5′ 11″ and bought a large.
    Before the Spectral 29er even existed I created a short travel version.

Same 68.5 degree head angle by fitting a Works Components headset. 740mm bars and 60mm stem. Stealth Reverb.

Front suspension from 110mm to 120mm by removing the 10mm internal spacer.

Currently fitted with 700c 32 cyclo cross tyres as I’ve been doing mainly lanes and easy bridleways during the Winter. Now the dry weather is here back to MTB tyres.

If I had bought a medium the short stem would have cramped the cockpit to much.
    My inseam is 86cm.the Canyon geo charts are accurate. The bike was exactly the size I expected when it turned up.

postierich
    Free Member

Your brave posting that pick! skinny tyres on a hardtail you can sort of get away with it but on a full suss 😯

maico
    Free Member

Just to prove I am actually a mountain biker…
    Hans Dampf front. Mountain King II rear !

I like this bike because it is so versatile. The suspension does lock out to a degree set to climb.

KateD
    Free Member

[/url] kates spectral par http://www.katedaubney.com, sur Flickr[/img]

Just took delivery of my 27.5 Spectral yesterday and looks fantastic! I had a few issues with delays on the delivery but was worth the wait. I’m 5.7 and went for a medium and the reach feels just right for me. Don’t listen to the Canyon online size thingy as it seems to just take into account your leg measurement and not your torso or arm measurements. I worked out the right size from my old bikes geometry and this seems to have done the trick. It definitely feels pretty compact when your on it. First ride is the Quantocks tomorrow. Can’t wait!!!

sgn23
    Free Member

The view seems to be that the online sizer is crap.
    I’m average 6′ and it said Medium, but looking at the geometry, particularly the TT, it felt too short. I emailed Canyon UK and they said definitely go Large. Unfortunately my orders also been delayed – 2 months to wait unless I cancel and get something else.
    WMB also agreed on the sizing being an issue in this month’s mag.
    Also see this thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/canyon-spectral-sizing-advice

~~~~~~~~
    KateD yours looks excellent!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

After 5 months of waiting my new Spectral will be with me on Friday – just hoping it arrives before my evening ride 🙂 Very Excited!!!

ceepers

Be great to hear more ride reports! WMB. Has it as their no 3 in trail bike of the year

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, I saw that. Just hoping the sizing is OK – It’s almost identical in numbers to my Scott Voltage and get on fine with that so hope it will be OK – don’t fancy sending it back to get the large. Fingers crossed.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yep – arrived – loving it. Great bike – so fast compared to my others both up and downhill.

ceepers

So BUMP!

Anyone who’s ridden theirs got some thoughts?

@kated how did yours size up? Do you like it?

br
    Free Member

WMB mentioned that they come up a bit ‘short’, as in very.

KateD
    Free Member

@ceepers so far I’m really happy with it. The medium is spot on for me at 5.7. It’s really, really efficient on the climbs and it definitely feels smoother and faster than my old giant trance on the downs. I’ve used it for trail centres (cwmcarn, afan, bike park wales) and on the quantocks and so far it hasn’t let me down and i’m definitely faster and feeling more confident on it. I just need to get better at riding it to do it justice!

br
    Free Member

<I>The medium is spot on for me at 5.7.</I>

A clue to the sizing…

beicmynydd
    Free Member

What’s the waiting time like in reality is the online build week guide accurate ?

HughStew

Mine was meant to arrive last week. I emailed an enquiry on Friday to be told another 4 week wait. They could have let me know. V pissed off. Glad to hear it’s likely to be good, once it arrives.

KateD
    Free Member

I made the mistake of selling my old bike to buy the new one and so when the order ended up being delayed for a month I had no bike. I know they are having problems with the red chrome paint so I think there have been alot of delayed orders there and then I guess they’re just struggling to keep up with demand. I’m definitely glad I waited and ended up with some free stuff and free delivery for the wait, but think you have to be in it for the long haul regardless of the online build week guide and just be prepared for delays. Also the guys at canyon hq, robin in particular are really helpful although they did at one point tell me the bike was delayed for another 2 weeks and then it turned up two days later.

HughStew

I figured that was the attitude to take, place the order, forget about it and then be happy when it turns up. A bit like ordering lights from DX. At least I still have the single speed, but not sure how long my legs lungs and knees can take it as my only bike.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, very tempted to hit the buy button.

ceepers

I got as far as putting one in the basket last week……….. Then I demoed a bandit and a covert yesterday. Can’t imagine anything could be more fun, and my decision is made!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Been riding mine since I got it and even rode the Mini enduro on it. My thoughts are its the best bike I’ve ever had – Loving it and riding GT this week to see how it handles that.

Really fast up and down – my strava has gone nuts with PRs since I got it. Bike feels really stable on the downs and really nimble too. Doing some of the more technical steep sections locally I’ve been impressed with how well its coped. Uphill it accelerates where you need it and doesn’t feel that taxing.

In terms of size, I’m happy with my medium (6ft) some may prefer it to be longer in the top tube but I’m enjoying the handling of it.

Looked at a SC SOLO yesterday and thought that looks nice until I did a double take on the price – the Spectral is such good value for money.

sgn23
    Free Member

So those of you that have one, what do you think of the fork? It seems to be the weak link in a great spec if you believe what the bike mags say about the 32 Talas.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Fork is ok (talas 32), but if I coulf afford it id love a pike

wookie
    Free Member

My spectral doesn’t arrive for another 2 weeks but ive already got a set of pikes sat here waiting to go straight on!

Why it didn’t come with either pikes or 34 mm Fox forks i don’t know.

Sizing wise im just under 6ft and gone for a medium as recommended by Canyon. I emailed them last week just to confirm the medium is the right choice and they were 100% positive medium will be fine. I prefer a small more nimble bike anyhow so the medium should suit my style well.

Steve

nealy
    Free Member

A C&P below from another thread…

Me
    Height: 176cm
    Inseam: 81cm
    Shoulder:44cm
    Arm: 62cm
    Torso: 68cm

The size calculator recommended I get a small but looked at the geo and a medium looked right which is what I got and it fits perfectly, if I added 1 cm to height and leg the calculator recommended a medium so it must err on the small side. I did think about getting a large but was concerned about being able to get the reverb low enough in the seat tube but I’ve got about 6cm post showing between the top of the seat tube and the reverb collar so it would have been fine but the medium feels great so glad I got it.

Also from here (http://enduro-mtb.com/en/dialled-rides-tuning-tips-from-the-pros-dudes-of-hazzard/) “Joe: Its a fully standard set up here. The Canyon spectral in Medium fits me perfectly at 173cm and so don’t need pimp it out with any mods.”

…the Spectral (8.0) is a beast and I’ve properly fallen in love with it. It’s really light, especially compared to other similar bikes, and climbs really well but what’s giving the biggest grins is how fast it is and how well it flies and that’s coming from someone who can’t jump for toffee. It’s really nimble and accurate but also feels totally planted and stable. Also the more I ride it the more I think the 27.5 wheels are better than the 26 on my C456. Most people buy a Canyon because of the value and kit but the frame is the best thing about it (and maybe the DT wheels)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Wookie – I didn’t get on with the saddle – but changed mine to a SDG Belair off my previous bike and felt massively different.

The DT wheels are amazing – mine accelerates up hill which is awesome.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Nealy if you could give me more info regarding comparison between a c456 and the spectral id be very grateful. I am thinking of going for the spectral but have a few little doubts. I have a thread going – ‘Difficult choice, On-one or canyon?’ and have a choice between the spectral and the new c456 evo. Cheers.

nealy
    Free Member

Yep, Ergon seat does not like my gooch so will be getting a Spesh Henge at some point. The DT XM1501 wheels really are very special, it’s very noticeable how quick it picks up speed with a few pedal stokes compared to the cheap heavy 26 wheels I’ve got on the hardtail.

Leythervegas – The C456 (18″, 50mm stem, 780 bars) still feels great but the Spectral (M, 60mm stem, 740 bars) is loads better in every way. I’ve always felt the C456 riding position is a bit stretched out while seated so had to keep edging the seat forward but the Spectral feels spot on. The C456 has a slacker seat tube angle which makes the top tube longer although the reach is quite similar so feel the same stood up. Although the C456 Evo geometry is better (IMO) than the C456 I don’t think it significantly different to warrant swapping from the old to the new as the will ride very similar. The Spectral is my fist full suss but even after a fair bit of riding I’m still blown away by how much more fun, faster and easier it’s making my rides. Pedaling on lumpy stuff is easy as your feet don’t get bumped about it makes jumping loads easier plus the obvious blasting through rough stuff is fun rather than taxing. I’m keeping both and will use the 456 for local training rides or flatter stuff but the Spectral is going to first choice for anything fun. Also had no dealing with On One customer service but all dealings with Canyon have been great and I have every confidence they will make sure you stay a happy customer.

Keep the C456 and get the Spectral

wookie
    Free Member

Agree about the saddle as well Bushwacked, already have a Bel air sat waiting (spectral has the same saddle as my missuses nerve).

leythervegas
    Free Member

Well after riding my new spectral for 5 weeks of s or got yo say I’m well happy. Couple off minor issues – the saddle is too firm for my fat ass so that’s the first little upgrade. Also the forks are a little sticky and I’m struggling to get them more, erm, soft feeling. I know they don’t getter best write ups but this seems as though they are sticking a little around the seals. Other than this the bike is simply brilliant for the money. How is everyone else finding theirs? ( good advice by Nealy by the way – cheers pal) anyone got any pictures out and about?

Heres mine at the top of rivington pike…..

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

Here’s my 9.9 at ambergate, saddle swap was my first change too!

leythervegas
    Free Member

What saddle did you go for piglet? Not hot a massive budget – £40 max unless I see a 2nd hand bargain

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Spectral’ is closed to new replies.