Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Canyon pricing 2016…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Read the threads about how the 2015 prices were fixed and didn’t adjust when the euro gbp rate became more favourable. So does that mean we are going to have really competitive priced canyons when the 2016 models are released based on a 1.4 exchange rate? Anyone have insight?

MSP

They were competitive in 2015, in fact the price never changed to the UK consumer. 2016 prices will go up for europe, 2016 fox forks in Germany are up by about 15% on 2015.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmm so same ballpark prices for the 2016 models? So prices of group set etc is going to cost more in Germany we can expect the overall change in price to be negligible?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yes I imagine any time there’s a change to even out disparity the lowest price goes up, rather than the highest price going down! Think women’s car insurance, and bike prices across europe. I’d certainly do that if I were the money man at Canyon.

Orbea have stated that their range will be the same price across the UK and the rest of Europe. I note the Rallon models are the same price in GBP. I’ve not checked the Euro list price but this will have obviously gone up now.

julians
    Free Member

Orbeas new prices are on the website.

The rallon x30 is 2799 euro if youre in a euro zone country, or £2239 if youre in the uk.

So it still cheaper if you could buy in euros (works out at just under £2000) ,but the gap between the euro price and the gbp price has now narrowed. Note the uk price has not dropped compared to last year,but has actually increased slightly, and the euro price has increased more.

ditto
    Free Member

I noticed that Disney is being investigated for the price discrepencies across Europe for tickets to EuroDisney and immediately thought of the Canyon situtation.
    I don’t know whether the Canyon policy would fall foul of the same rules.

But maybe worth registering a complaint anyway…
    http://www.ukecc.net/contact/index.cfm

AdeC
    Free Member

Canyon fixed their prices for 2015 bike well over 12 months ago. This is so they don’t expose themselves to currency market fluctuations. Their bike frames are made in Taiwan and they will pay for them in Dollars, not in euros.
    Direct Sales models have small margins, therefore its only sensible to protect it. Even at current exchange rates their bikes still seem good value.
    The top of the range Strive is carbon with full XTR and Cane Creek/Fox suspension for £4.3k – is there anything else that comes close to this (inc Orbea, YT, Rose etc)?

wrecker
    Free Member

So?
    They are still charging one fellow member of the EU more than others.

AdeC
    Free Member

Technically yes. But we’re not in the eurozone so our pricing will be always be subject to currency exchange.

wrecker
    Free Member

This is taking currency exchange to another level though is it not?
    Why don’t they just publish prices in euro and take whatever the exchange rate is at the time of order?
    There a £600 descrepancy between euro and Uk price for the bike I’m interested in!!!!£600!!!!!
    Treasure island indeed.

AlexSimon

!!!!£600!!!!!

Daft isn’t it.
    The only easy answer is to get it sent to a mate who lives in a Euro zone country.
    I asked around in the pub and had 3 offers – 1 in Ireland that would have been pretty easy, 1 in Spain and 1 in Germany.

I didn’t buy a Canyon in the end though.

vinnyeh

Very odd.

The ex-Movistar team bikes use an exchange rate of 1.4, a couple of bikes chosen at random from the clearance use rates of 1.11 and 1.21.

all a bit random really.

MSP

They are still charging one fellow member of the EU more than others.

They set prices at the start of the season or when a bike is realised, they do not then control the currency markets to their benefits. You may think they are trying to rip you off, the more probable reality is margins have been cut to sweet **** all on euro sales with the current exchange rate.

When 2016 models are released they will reflect the current euro value and euro prices will increase.

johnnystorm

Treasure Island indeed. It’s hardly infringement of human rights. Don’t like the price buy something else. 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

🙄
    Nobody ever claimed it was, and I will but thanks for the advice. Really useful. good for you.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

The UK pricing policy is frustrating, I asked about paying in Euro as it represented circa £650 or a 1000€ Saving compared to the GBP price, you get a standard reply based on pricing for the season… However you have to go back around 3 years to get parity which makes for a long season!

There is a UK office for Canyon so my theory is that the premium payed by UK customers is to finance that operation, whatever they do.

You can order and pay in Euro provided you either collect or have it shipped anywhere in the Eurozone except for the UK…. I’ve tried to convince the wife that a long weekend in Germany is a good idea but she’s not having any of it, despite the fact that it would be a free holiday…. Sort of…!

So my order hasn’t been placed and I’m now looking elsewhere, the LBS manager was telling me he has another customer who won’t place their order for exactly the same reason, I bet there are other prospective customers in the UK who will also be lost to the brand.

For me it’s the size of the currency difference and the indifference of the company in correspondence, without doubt the bikes are well specified and if your a Eurozone customer represent great value, but that value is not so good here in the UK…

For comparison look at the Other direct Euro brands…..

prettygreenparrot

I bought a Canyon. Even with the UK ‘mark up’ it was a good price for what’s turned out to be a great bike. Really enjoyed it on the Mach 3 and CyB. Spectral AL 7.0EX. Naturally I bought a spare mech hanger. And because of a misestimation in shipping date Canyon also sent me a Canyon ‘buff’. Good comms and great email exchanges.

psycorp
    Free Member

I can’t understand how anyone can defend this practice. If I’m not mistaken the Euro is legal tender in the UK whether we regularly use it or not, so why is it so difficult for these companies to adervertise their products in Euros only? It’s a rip off and they know it.

MSP

I can’t understand why you don’t get that they are taking a hit on the euro price, they are not ripping of uk purchasers.

they are also not alone in doing so, 2015 specialized bikes had a greater disparity before the 2016 pricing was released.

wrecker
    Free Member

Please provide evidence that Canyon are taking a hit on the euro price. Otherwise I simply don’t believe it. They don’t buy in £.
    Even if it is truem why should the UK subsidise euro value drops?
    look at the worldwide costs; everywhere is cheaper than the UK, yiou can buy a Canyon cheaper in Senegal, Norway, saudi etc etc.
    Canyon UK are having a laugh.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Canyon pricing 2016…’ is closed to new replies.