Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Canyon or Cube
  • lindsay73
    Free Member

Hi all. Im looking to purchase a full suss. The three bikes i have in mind are, Cube Stereo 140 HPA, The Cube Stereo 120 HPA Race and the Canyon Nerve 8. Really like the Canyon but had no experience buying direct. What are your thoughts.

wiggles
    Free Member

The difference is mostly do you want to buy for a shop and have their help/backup or just buy direct from canyon and take the risk with sizing and hope not to have to send anything back.

gavstorie
    Free Member

Cubes customer service and warranty are shocking. They arent interested in dealing with issues or even just answering emails about stock parts..

Avoid at all costs

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had originally looked at the nerve, but a couple of things, mainly the head angle, put me off. Took delivery of a spectral 29 8.9 last week, very, very pleased with it. Just do your maths with the geometry on their site, and you’ll be fine with the sizing. I’m a large in every bike I’ve ever had, canyon appears to be no different.

10 days for delivery, if in stock, some folk have had theirs within the week.

Legoman
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma before Xmas but found a 2014 Stereo HPC140 Race at a price I couldn’t refuse.
    The only thing that put me off Canyon were some stories about long delivery lead times (depends on the model/size etc) and uncertainty about sizing.

smogmonster

I’ve got both, contrary to above I’ve had great backup from both. I broke the wheel on my Canyon road bike, they replaced straight away. I’m in my third Cube MTB, having had a Frittz…I broke the rear stay and they replaced free of charge. Ive also had a hard tail and currently ride a Stereo 140mm 29er, which is great. You want go wrong with either IMHO

Legoman
    Free Member

smogmonster, good to hear your positive experience with Cube – the shop I bought my Stereo from has closed down, so I’ll have to go direct to Cube with any warranty issues

lindsay73
    Free Member

I also have two Cubes, both hard tails, A 2011 Attention and a 2012 Reaction GTC Pro and had no issues with both. My LBS close to Durham (Infinity Cycles) have been very helpful in the past with any issues that i have had.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Cube’s customer service & warranty are amazing, I don’t know where you get that from OP?
    Maybe it was the dealer you’ve been going through gavstorie?
    We sold over 230 Cube’s last year so had the odd warranty claim & never had an issue other than having to wait a few weeks for the odd claim.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just built up this s/h Nerve.
    Really excellent build quality. And a very good riding frame. Cant comment on the Co. obviously.

But this cost about £1k to put together but when you look at the brand new price for an SLX level build is really not massively more. They really are amazing value for money.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2hGKVA7TbWU/VM80BGykswI/AAAAAAAALs0/R0k_UzUBJSc/s640/upload_-1.jpg[/img]

mrhoppy

I find the cube geometry wonky, for me the top tubes are too short and the frames too tall. The 18″ frame was cramped up in stock set up and that was with a relatively long stem, the 20″ was better in terms of length but I crushed my nuts standing over it. I’m 5’11” so nothing too extreme. I really liked the cube and would of had one as my lbs sell them and I wanted to put some businesses their way but I just couldn’t get comfortable.

The canyon on the other hand fits nicely in a large but you need to be able to read their geometry charts cos the fitting guide is gash.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Check the geometry-depending on the model you’re looking at, the top tube lengths have got a fair bit longer for 2015, as some were a bit on the short side for the size.

gren
    Free Member

Got a 3 year old Canyon Nerve and a new Canyon road bike as well as a 4 year old Cube hardtail.

Never had a problem with any of them in any way. That being the case, I’d go for the Canyon with it’s better value for money every time. The road bike was with us within a week of order (despite not showing as in stock) and the communication & delivery was bang on.

devash
    Free Member

I find the cube geometry wonky, for me the top tubes are too short and the frames too tall. The 18″ frame was cramped up in stock set up and that was with a relatively long stem, the 20″ was better in terms of length but I crushed my nuts standing over it. I’m 5’11” so nothing too extreme. I really liked the cube and would of had one as my lbs sell them and I wanted to put some businesses their way but I just couldn’t get comfortable.

I found this as well when I was looking for an entry level hardtail for my girlfriend. She’s 5′ 7″ and we ended up going with the 18″ medium instead of the 16″ small size due to the really short effective top tubes.

Usually at 6ft tall I can ride either medium or large but I can’t get comfy on her bike even with a 90mm stem.

Cube are nice bikes though. The paintwork on the frames is really good and resistant to chipping, unlike my Specialized, and we had no problems with warranty when the freehub on her bike went after a couple of months. Cube sent a new one straight to the LBS within a couple of days.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Also some Canyon use some crazy rose joint type bearing as the main pivot-brilliant idea in principal, but less so when you need it replacing in a hurry & can’t get hold of them (had a customer on a Friday who wanted to race at the weekend, but the bearings were unobtainable until the following week)

rooster42
    Free Member

Just replaced all the bearings on 2014 Canyon Strive, dead easy to get hold of, just standard Deep Groove Ball Bearings and a couple of Full Complement bearings, mtbbearinguk sorted me out at half the cost of what Canyon wanted, next day delivery as well. Canyon even have an assembly drawing of the Strive which I downloaded and was able to get the bearing numbers off the BOM table and even work out the best way to take it apart & re-build it – boss!

Guess its only weird bearings on certain models?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

rooster, where did you find that drawing on the Canyon site?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Canyon or Cube’ is closed to new replies.