Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Canyon Neuron or Spectral
  • linchpin
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new mtb around the £2k mark. I love my Canyon roadbike so am pretty keen to get another Canyon as I don’t see such good value elsewhere.
    Does anyone have either of the above? I cant decide whether to go for the longer travel Spectral or the more climbing oriented Neuron.
    It’ll mainly be used for hacking around trails and some easy dh stuff but nothing extreme.
    Opinions?

chrisa87
    Free Member

I spent a lot of time debating the two, but couldn’t find a way to get a test ride so had to go off the reviews. I ended up disregarding the neuron as it was described as “twitchy”(not in a good way) going downhill and I ending up thinking the spectral would be over-biked for what I wanted to do with it. Also didn’t like the colour of the lower-specced spectrals. Would have to pay 2300 for the colour I liked.

I ended up buying a 2016(new)camber650B from rutland cycling instead. Only had chance to ride it once so far, but its perfect for me right now.

linchpin
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s both very helpful and also making it harder! I agree re colours, I want a black one really. They’re probably both a bit over biked for me but the same could be said for most stuff I own – phone, car, pc – all capable of more than me!

chrisa87
    Free Member

I’d probably say the same about being over-biked on both(it’s my first fs) but I mainly ride at Cannock and when I went round on the camber I remember thinking that the spectral would’ve flattened everything out too much for me at the speed I’m riding right now. (And it helped the camber had been reduced to 1350 from 2000ish)

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I have a 2014 spectral, great bike it replaced a spicy 150mm travel and a 120mm ex8. Works fine for me trail centres local dh track and Snowdon etc. Climbs OK on fire road sections also.

PrinceJohn

The neuron has a pretty steep head angle by today’s standards.
    I still think personally although great value a lot of euro brands like canyon lag behind a bit when it comes to modern geometry and progressive design.

zerolight
    Free Member

Spectral. They had loads of 2016 models on their outlet store with big discounts.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I looked at the neuron, then dismissed it as the head angle is very steep. Whyte’s 120mm bike is 3 degrees slacker for instance. The fact you say you’ll use it for easy dh makes me think you’d be better off with the spectral or something similar.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Neuron or Spectral’ is closed to new replies.