Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Canyon Nerve XC headset lower bearing replacement?
  • j40aja
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2012 Canyon Nerve XC and the headset is starting to sound a little rough.

Looking on-line to get the right headset bearing hasn’t given me a definite answer. I think the top half of the headset is fine so just the bottom required.
    The bike has tapered forks fitted and I had a look on the Canecreek website and the headset fit finder thing suggested the IS52/40 integrated.

Has anyone fitted one of these to their Canyons? Don’t want to waste £25 when I can make sure I get the right part 1st time.

I see some people have bought the Superstar bearing for £8 but wanted to try and get something that might last a bit longer, assuming paying a bit more will mean better quality!

Marko

Just doing the OH’s Canyon now. I have a 52mm outer diameter lower bearing pressed into the frame. I reckon you are correct with IS52/40 (Prt No BA0086).I think I’ll just go with the cheap Superstar offering though.

Spoke to Hope and they don’t list or plan to introduce this lower bearing assembly.

Hth
    Marko

j40aja
    Free Member

Cheers Marko,

I’ve had Hope headsets in my last 2 bikes so they would’ve been the preference but will have to look elsewhere.

Like the look of the Cane Creek offering, worth a punt and will report back once I see how it goes!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Sell it & buy a 29er! 🙂

j40aja
    Free Member

Why when it’s just a fad and in a matter of time everyone will be going back to 26ers because they’re doss 😉

mattjevans
    Free Member

I think you need to make sure that CC is 45×45 angular.

Otherwise you could try Balfa for the Acros part

j40aja
    Free Member

Not overly impressed with the Acros bearings as I’ve never had problems with a headset before, unless it’s down to the design of the Nerve headtube.
    My last Hope headset was a semi integrated(integral) type and it just worked perfectly, pretty much a fit and forget piece of engineering.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Yeah suspect that Acros bearing is a cheapie.

Can you post here if CC lower fits. I’m thinking of a Chris King upper cup and would like quality lower bearing

j40aja
    Free Member

will do mattjevans,

Will probably order it later this week if I get confirmation from CC that it will definitely fit the frame.

j40aja
    Free Member

Right I received a reply back from Cane Creek with a answer, their reply was,

Yes, the IS52/40 is exactly what you need. We have that available in
    both the 40 or 110-Series.

I think for the little extra cost I might go for the 110 with it’s amazing warranty and better quality materials used!

Am really impressed with the speed of reply from CC and the fact they gave a definite answer!

Marko

Update on the Superstar offering.

Perfect replacement for the original Acros bearing. . . However the sealing is just the same, so I don’t expect it to last that long.

Anyone got (or can find) a nice close up of the sealing on the Cane Creek bearing?

Marko

j40aja
    Free Member

The CC 110 arrived today from Tredz but I left it at work but can post a picture on Monday of the seals.

Will hopefully get it fitted Mon/Tuesday.

I take it the bearing doesn’t need pressed in? Just slip it onto the steerer above the crown race and fit back into the headtube.

mrelectric

Have a look at the other posts about nerve AM angle headsets. I found that I could swap Works Comp bearings with the Acros ones. So I guess it’s a standard part.

Marko

I take it the bearing doesn’t need pressed in? Just slip it onto the steerer above the crown race and fit back into the headtube.

Well I had to press out the old one and press in the new one.The new Superstar bearing is a few microns narrower so it slipped in easily.

I’m not a huge fan of any bearing that sits directly in a frame. I’d much prefer a cup that the bearing sits in. If the bearing seized and the outer race started to turn in the frame (whilst highly unlikely) it could theoretically trash the frame.
    Hth
    Marko

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’ve been hunting around for some bearings for my canyon too. Ordered the ss lower bearing but also found these on eBay: Trailbright Headset Sealed Angular Contact Bearings

Not sure on quality but only £15.99 for upper and lower bearings so may be worth a look.

j40aja
    Free Member

Marko – Member
    Update on the Superstar offering.

Perfect replacement for the original Acros bearing. . . However the sealing is just the same, so I don’t expect it to last that long.

Anyone got (or can find) a nice close up of the sealing on the Cane Creek bearing?

Marko

Here is e close up shot of the Cane Creek 110 bearing. On the right is the new crown race that comes with the lower bearing which has a good quality seal built in.

My LBS fitted the new bearing today (the Acros one fell out apparently in peices and he commented on the quality of the CC being of similar quality to CK or Hope.
    Pick up my bike on Thursday as the shop is shut tomorrow but was getting new gear cables, cassete, chain and XT shadow+ mech fitted.

Should be sorted for the biking season ahead.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Looks like Cane Creek is the way to go once my Acros goes crunchy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve XC headset lower bearing replacement?’ is closed to new replies.