Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Canyon Nerve VS Trek EX8 DRCV
  • Kryton57

Anyone done it?

Just wondered how the Nerve performs compares to the EX8?

Thinking of a Nerve 9.0 – 2lb lighter than the EX and £100 cheaper, but without the DRCV – how much, if at all better is the DRCV?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would change the question and ask does the Trek EX8 need a DRCV shock?

Which Canyon did you look at, AM or XC?

Reports I have read about the Canyons are that they are good value for money, but suffer from a little bob and softish back end, compared to the test winners. Of course mag reviews tend to be trollocks anyhow.

However when people buy them on here and people ask how they like there Canyon it always tends to be, yeah I am pleased with it so far, or its as good as I expected. There are not many who say its amazing, its better than my old bike etc etc.

Did you test ride an Anthem yet, you know you want one 🙂

Kryton57

I’m looking at the XC 9.0. For the money its stupidly light (dripping in XO), and has all the “right” angles.

I’m testing an EX8 next weekend, and am thinking that the DRCV (well, at least what the reviews say it does) will suit – ie replicate short travel at the beginning of the stroke, then open up later – presumably outweight the soft back end issue of the Canyon you speak of.

But the extra £100 and 2lbs in weight, does it perform better than the Canyon? IE am I getting better kit where it matters?

(Trance / Anthem testing probably the weekend after btw).

monkeychild
    Free Member

Get a Trance and embrace its Hondaesqueness. (I ride a Trance X2 and love it BTW 😀 )

stumpy01

Kryton57 – Member
    I’m looking at the XC 9.0. For the money its stupidly light (dripping in XO), and has all the “right” angles.

I’m testing an EX8 next weekend, and am thinking that the DRCV (well, at least what the reviews say it does) will suit – ie replicate short travel at the beginning of the stroke, then open up later – presumably outweight the soft back end issue of the Canyon you speak of.

When you test the EX8, make sure you get the shock set-up correctly. I demo’d a Stumpjumper FSR Expert and an EX9 (both 2010). The FSR just rode nicely without any tinkering, whereas we tried all day and just could’t get the rear end of the EX9 to feel right. It felt really harsh over terrain that the FSR just soaked up. It wasn’t due to the EX9 being a shorter travel bike than the FSR either, as my mate was on his Whyte E-120 which has the same travel as the EX9, but felt much better over the same terrain.

I was told after that we might not have put the shock pump onto the shock correctly. Apparently you screw it on until it registers a pressure and then keep going to open up the DRCV valve. If you don’t do this, you are only pressurising the small air chamber, and then presumably as soon as the valve opens, it equalizes the pressures meaning you are running too little air.
    Thing is with this explanation, I would expect it to result in the rear suspension being way too soft once the shock had fully opened once, but this wasn’t the case.

postierich
    Free Member

My Canyon 6.0 xc is amazing and so much better than my other bikes 😉

Bit common now spotted another one Grizedale way @ the weekend think I am going to get rid!

Kryton57

Thanks Stumpy – the LBS loaning me the bike mention it was “important we help you set it up” – now I see why.

There’s an OCLV 9.7 in the mix now too, very tempting…

Edit: From the Fox website:

4.Thread the FOX Racing Shox High Pressure Pump hose onto the air valve until the pump indicates a pressure reading on the gauge. Turn an additional 1¼ turns, however do not over-tighten. As you thread the additional 1¼ turns, you may notice a second increase in pressure on the gauge. This effect is caused by air pressure equalizing between the main and secondary air chambers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve VS Trek EX8 DRCV’ is closed to new replies.