Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Canyon Nerve Headset
  • nbdrider
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a Canyon Nerve XC 2012, and my Acros Aix-03 Headset has finally given up. I’ve read some forums that suggest alternative headset components (Hope pick and mix for the top, Superstar components for the lower).

I’ve removed my old bearings easily enough, and was surprised to see they are traditional bearings rather than sealed looking cartridge bearings. They definitely don’t look like the exploded diagrams of the headset I have found online. However, I’m left with silver components inside the Headtube at both ends, and I don’t know if this is part of the frame, or whether this is the remains of the Acros headset. Maybe there was a cartridge bearing in there after all? Do I need to extract this before replacing with new? I don’t want to take a screwdriver to it unnecessarily in case I damage the frame. I have pics on my phone to upload.
    thanks
    NBD

nbdrider
    Free Member
    cheers_drive

Hard to see from the photo put that looks like half a sealed bearing so they probably were sealed bearings before they disintegrated.
    Also still looks like a seal is on top.
    Should lever out with a screwdriver easily. Then you’ll be left with the the race which you can drift out from the reverse, same goes for the other end. Alternatively for an easy life just replace the bearings.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sirromj

I replaced mine last year with:

HS2030 Cane Creek Bike Headset Bearing 30x41x6.5mm
    http://www.bearingsrus.co.uk/hs2030

Type 2 – Headset Bearings 1.5″ or Tapered 45×45 Degree x1
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/type-2-headset-bearings-1-5-or-tapered-45×45-degree-x1.htm

Yes they’re sealed bearings you need to knock the remaining half of the cases out. Preferably carefully. I seem to recall making hard work of it, is as much as I can say, but isn’t too difficult really.

nbdrider
    Free Member

thanks for your help. Screwdriver carefully knocked out the remaining half of the lower bearing cartridge. Top looks a bit trickier as no overlap to use from the bottom…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve Headset’ is closed to new replies.