Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Canyon Nerve Bearing Removal
  • robertharvey
    Free Member

Just thought I would post this to help others needing to remove/replace the bearings on their Canyon Nerve (other Canyons maybe similar).

Canyon produce a good schematic of the build which will help identify the bearings needed to replace the worn ones at:-

http://www.canyon.com/downloads/supportcenter/nerve_am_11.pdf

Removal:
    Most of the bearings can be removed with a simple puller made from an 8mm bolt some washers and a couple of nuts (I got mine off EBay for £1.5)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281341045026?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=580373415200&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Four bearings near the freewheel need to be drifted out with a punch and hammer. Tapping from the inside central surface out. Moving around the bearing so as not to wedge it in and damage the frame.

If the chain stays have some lateral (side to side) movement it is likely that the two spherical bearings at the cranks are worn.

Depending on how worn the bearings are you are going to have difficulty removing the chain stay swing arm, as these bearings are fitted when the swing arm is fitted and lock it in place.

To remove the swing arm:-

1. Remove the bolts
    2. Remove the black plastic cups (prise out carefully with a small screw driver)
    3. One side has an internal cir-clip and behind this a machined spacer
    4. Remove both of these (do not loose!)
    5. On the inside of the bearings between the frame and the bearing is a special machined washer and rubber O-ring. The washer fits into a recess in the frame when the bearing is pushed home.
    6. So if the bearing is excessively worn you may be able to rock the swing arm free.
    7. If not you will need to try and press the bearing back into the swing arm by tapping the swing-arm against the frame with a hammer. Protecting the frame with some wood. This should hopefully press the bearing back into swing arm enough to remove the arm.
    8. Once the arm is off the bike make sure you collect the inner machined spacer and rubber O-ring.
    9. The bearing can then be removed with the 8mm tool above.

Be aware that removing bearings is usually done by pulling on the central bearing surface of the bearing, which ruins the bearing in the removal process. When pulling the bearing back into the frame you need to pull on the outer surface only.

Fitting:
    I used stainless steel bearings where possible to replace the originals (EBay is a good source again). With all of the bearings I removed the seals (carefully with a sewing machine needle) and fully packed the bearing with grease. Bearings are not fully packed as it causes some friction and reduces the maximum speed of the bearing. As the problem we have here is corrosion and not speed I prefer more grease.

With most of the bearings the old bearing with a washer and the 8mm tool above can be used to ensure the bearing is pulled into place with no damage.

On the two spherical bearings (GE08) you need to use the internal machined spacer (this will allow a flat washer to push on the outer bearing surface and not the inner) and a washer (I had to file one down to allow it to slide through the frame) to ensure that you pull these in on the outside surface of the bearing only.

Also make sure you do not pull these bearings all the way into the swing arm before fitting the arm to the frame. So you need to pull them in enough so that the rubber O-ring and the internal washer are flush with the arm. This will allow fitting the arm to the frame. Then pull the bearing home (using the Canyon spacer and homemade washer with the Canyon bolt (be aware that one of these bolts has an additional spacer on it)) to push the bearing home. In future I will make sure I remove the bolts in these bearings and re-pack with grease at least every 12 months.

Hope this helps. As I took ages trying to find out how to do this, with lots of trial and error.

nickgti
    Free Member

That’s spot on thanks a lot mate, I’ve been looking at replacing my bearings fairly soon.

Where did your buy your bearings from?

robertharvey
    Free Member

Just search bearing ref from the Canyon sheet above on EBay. I used a couple of providers on there to get the full set. I used stainless ones where I could find them. I decided just to use the standard GE08 Spherical bearing and keep them greased rather than replace them with the more expensive PTFE lined ones. These are supposed to be fit for life and not need re-greasing but I think not based on my experience with them.

See

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360952218543?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=630300147891&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But ask for the chrome ones

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321399242770?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=510277858438&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dogsby

Isn’t there a bespoke bearing puller/inserter that works with a Canyon without resorting to a homemade one? The above description is good but I am not sure I would trust myself to get it right and not knacker my frame!

Dogsby

bigjim

I started to order replacement main pivot bearings from canyon, when they sent through the spec that they were ptfe ones I just bought them from simply bearings instead, for less.

robertharvey
    Free Member

I am not aware of a bespoke tool. But all that is really needed is the right sized bolt, some washers and the spacer already loaded in front of the spherical bearing for those. Pulling out is fairly easy. On assembly just make sure you have things packed so that you push in on the outside bearing surface only.

If your not sure though use your LBS.

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

My brother has just finished replacing all beArings on his Nerve Am. He bought two pullers to remove two bearings. Took 3hrs of careful reassembly. Can post a link to the pullers if anyone wants it.

jimw
    Free Member

Can post a link to the pullers if anyone wants it.

Yes please. I spent some time looking and got nowhere

postierich
    Free Member

Stripped the bike down took off the swing arm sourced the bearings myself (kaesea) took to my local bike shop (wheelbase) £40 job done no stress of cracking frame with cackhandyness!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve Bearing Removal’ is closed to new replies.