Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Canyon Nerve AL+ convert to 1×10
  • sparrowcar
    Free Member

I want to convert my Nerve AL+ to 1×10 or possibly 2×10 as I’ve lost my chain a few times and it’s the way forward according to most 😀

I have read online that Canyon bikes can be a bit tricky to convert as you need additional canyon supplied adapters and guide?

Anyone done this with a Nerve AL+ that can advise on how to go about this?

Cheers

Sparrowcar

heisenberg
    Free Member

🙄

chris_db
    Free Member

I’ve converted my AM to 2×10. I did buy a bespoke 2×10 chainset and new front mech but everything else was dead easy, no need for any special Canyon bits.

rickon
    Free Member

Should be easy peasy.

You’ll want a Raceface NarrowWide ring or a Works Component Thick Thin ring. This will retain the chain better.

Ideally you want either a Shadow+ rear mech, or a Sram Type2 rear mech. Which you may have. These are called Clutch mechs, as they have a clutch.

If you have a Shimano mech, and a lever on it, which is grey and says on or off. Then you have one.

IF you have a Sram mech, which has a button on it, with a padlock sign then you do too.

If you’ve got a triple, if you go 1×10 or 2×10, then you’ll need some short chainring bolts, as you’ll be removing the ring that spaces out the current long chainring bolts.

No special Canyon tools needed.

If you’re losing the chain, you could look at if it’s too long. And… you could just fit a Clutch mech, and that may sort it.

sparrowcar
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I just found this post after looking up your suggestion rickon

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/clutch-mech-widenarrow-single-ring-ala-xx1-but-10speed

I have a shadow+ mech already. So all I need to buy is the chainring and shorter bolts and off I go?

Am I missing anything?

Cheers

rickon
    Free Member

Bingo! 🙂

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Yes that is all you need to do!

Mine works great even without a clutch mech…

andypandy85
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack your thread Sparrow, just wondering how you get on with the Nerve Al+? How are Canyon as a company, any issues?

Ta

sparrowcar
    Free Member

@andypandy85

Love it to be honest. I got back into biking 3 years ago after 15 years away so I bought a cube hardtail on the BTW scheme. I quickly got my skills back and moved up to a full sus. Money was an issue as I’m getting married this year so Canyon was by far the best pound for pound (or euro in my case) bike out there.

I had a 4 week lead in time and bike arrived quickly after it was shipped. Easy to put together from the box and I have had no issues to date. Bike is incredible and the parts included are top shelf stuff.

My only issue all be it a small one is the stand over height. I’m 5.8 with a 30″ inseam and the small squeezes my crown jewels a little bit, that’s not Canyons fault though I suppose.

Honestly if I was looking to upgrade again or get a newer bike in a few years I can’t see myself looking past a canyon. I have yet to see a Santa Cruz bike go faster than a canyon because of the name on the side of the bike!

I’m entering the enduro season in Ireland this year on it so I’m happy it can stand up to anything.

Anymore questions shout out.

Sparrowcar.

sparrowcar
    Free Member

One last question on this, works components say if you are racing they advise to use an upper chain guide.

I know Canyon’s need a canyon only adaptor plate for lower guides but I presume any upper guides work otherwise.
    Amy recommendations of upper guides?

Great help already guys so many thanks.

sparrowcar
    Free Member

So I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a Raceface narrow/wide chainring 😀

In the process of getting my bike tools and bits in order I actually found the canyon adapter ISCG-05 for the BB. I must have just ignored it in the excitement when the new bike arrived last summer. 😳
    It at least means I can get a chain guide system in the future if I ever decide the N/W isn’t retaining the chain as well as I would like.

Anyway as this area is a bit grey for newbies like me when it comes to home alterations. I intend to photo and document the work I do with the intention of helping others who decide to make the 1 x 10 switch.

For dog lovers my 7 month old black lab puppy will probably get his mug into most of the pics/videos..he just loves chewing on my tyres 🙄

rickon
    Free Member

You won’t need a chain guide, I’ve been running my thick thin ring and clutch mech around the local woods, which is bonkers rooty, big roots, and haven’t lost the chain once.

Its a far better solution than a chain guide, guides are noisy as hell, and add weight, you can drop all that with a clutch mech and thick thin ring.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve AL+ convert to 1×10’ is closed to new replies.