Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Canyon Nerve AL+ 9.0SL – XTR, Kashima, Reverb for under £3,300? HOW?!
  • bowie278
    Free Member

Just having a scan over the Canyon website for a bit of bike inspiration and I’ve come across the Canyon mentioned above… It seems to have an absolutely unbelievable spec for the price?

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3043#tab-reiter2

£3,209…

XTR gearing, Formula T1, Crank Bros Cobalt wheels, Talas Kashima forks, Reverb Stealth dropper etc etc.

How’ve they managed to do it all at such a low price? Similar equivalent on some of the better known brands would be up towards £4/£4.5K?

wrecker
    Free Member

No distributor markup. No retailer markup. Savings go into bikers pocket. Great value.

somafunk

At an uninformed guess i’d say using their buying power for the components and choosing their very cheap frames from a catalogue from a far eastern frame builder, there are very few “special” or “boutique” frames from the major bike companies as they all come out of the same few factories but they all like to play up the “designed especially for” tagline,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

*plus forwarding charges….whatever that means

wrecker
    Free Member

Frames are not generic catalogue branded jobs. Designed by canyon, supplied to canyon only as far as I can tell.
    As for buying power, nobody has more than giant or spesh.
    Of course retailers hate them as they make no money from them.

euanc
    Free Member

You are forgetting how much bike parts actually cost to manufacture, not what is deemed ‘normal’ to pay.

tomaso
    Free Member

Distributors and shops is a chunky margin on top of the manufacturers margin, but you knew that already and still asked the question.

Do they accept paypal gift?

radoggair
    Free Member

but then again. 29er below

rock shox sid xx forks = £495 – merlin bikes

sram xx groupset = £950 bike 24.de

carbon frameset = £500 (for chinese or on one) on one

1450g wheelset = £380 action sports.de

stem, seatpost, grips, bar, seat = £250 (kcnc, mt zoom so lightweight)seatpost stem bar grips

tyres = £32 for 480g 29.1 bontrager evans

cables = £18 crc
    headset = £50 crc
    wheel skewers = £24 mt zoom

and probably another £50 on other stuff, helicopter tape, tyre sealant etc

So a full on top of the range sram xx carbon xc race bike weighing about 19.5lb for £2749.00

it can be done by shopping around, heck you can even stick a xx1 groupset on with carbon formula1 brakes for £3000 and it would weigh about 18.5lbs

captainsideburns
    Free Member

@radoggair
    That was looking really good, but when u configure the xc group set you have to add 500€ for xx brakes or find some others.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Over £3000 for a push bike – bargain

aracer
    Free Member

Presumably it’s that cheap because it has an obsolete wheel size and so is on clearance.

radoggair
    Free Member

That was looking really good, but when u configure the xc group set you have to add 500€ for xx brakes or find some others.

true, but still its £3100 for full carbon sram xx bike, top quality componentry that equals or beats the canyon!! Just need to build it yourself and voila

Russell96

I’d discount the carbon frame by a large amount, as it stands they are coming to the end of the early adopter stage with high prices for something that is mass production with low costs to produce, factory workers slapping resin n fibres into a mould, pressure it up and bake (ok its slightly more than that) The like of On One are showing that carbon frames are easier to produce aka cheaper than the previous cheapo darling for frames.

b45her
    Free Member

i love the brand bigots on this forum, canyon design and make an excellent quality and very well spec’d bike and its cheap rubbish. but put a cotic sticker on some over priced welded up gas pipes and its a work of art and super value.

passtherizla
    Free Member

radoggair – Member
    true, but still its £3100 for full carbon sram xx bike, top quality componentry that equals or beats the canyon!! Just need to build it yourself and voila

But you built a Hardtail… which is in fact very different to the bike the OP posted about. How can you compare a 100mm carbon hardtail to a 150mm Ali Am bike…? and then claim that it equals or beats the canyon… I get you may have a point about prices but you try and build the bike the OP posted about for that money.

Bloody great bikes.

No brand Bigotry here, I’d have had a Strive in a heartbeat i had all the cash in one lump. I own a Cotic Rocket.

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteOf course retailers hate them as they make no money from them.[/quote]

Not from the bikes but calculate how much you spend on the life of your bike in servicing , upgrades , accessories , clothing and potentially the retailers could still make a mint

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Well said ba54her!!

trailhound
    Free Member

^^^ what he said

andypaul99
    Free Member

Ba54her for post of the day 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve AL+ 9.0SL – XTR, Kashima, Reverb for under £3,300? HOW?!’ is closed to new replies.