Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Canyon MTBs – thoughts ?
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

A brand I’d never considered but looking on their website, the bikes are killer value… Full carbon 29 er with decent group for £1599, full suss with alright spec for 1100 ?? Surely there’s a catch, not seen much in the way of reviews so what do you guy think ?

number18
    Free Member

I enquired when I was looking for my first (and current) fs bike. The two downsides for me are as follows;

– no finance options. They don’t do any finance as it would increase their selling prices;

– set spec. Had I had enough cash to not need finance I wanted to change the forks but you can’t change anything. They told me you can only buy as per the options on the website. Again this is something they do to keep their selling prices down.

Depending on your approach you might want something a bit more ’boutique’, I see quite a few Canyons knocking around.

I think my next bike will be a Canyon, whenever that might be.

LMT
    Free Member

We have 2 canyons at home, i currently have a road canyon still fairly unique as around where i live i haven’t seen another canyon on the roads. There are a few bike clubs and still not seen another canyon. OH has a Canyon Nerve 9.0w i think it is, full xt groupset, fox front and rear shocks we paid £1640 give or take for a bike thats better specc’ed than my Speshi Camber Expert. Its a great bike a bit small for me but it feels so much better than what we paid for it.

Things to watch for:

1. There size calculator, fill it in as accurately as you can, both bikes we got fit us spot on out the box,but get this wrong and ive heard of stories where its gone belly up.

2. If your paying by credit card, warn you card holder first as often paying a German bike company flags up an issue and payment is withheld, we had this on the first canyon we ordered, the second time i called up the credit card company to give them the heads up.

3. Track UPS as it will turn up quicker than expected once in the country, both our bikes turned up 48hrs after despatch from Germany. Much quicker than i expeced.

4. Ride the bike and enjoy it!! I will be swapping my Speshi for a new Canyon 650b this summer, can’t wait to place my order.

toronte
    Free Member

Fit calculator seemed to be off for me. It offered a small frame for every mtb but currently I’m riding a medium Zesty wich fits like a glove and parameters are also closer to Canyon’s M sizing. Road bikes seemed to be closer to reality. (I’m 173cm/5’8″)
    I’ve also read quite a few people ordering one size larger than offered.
    I’m really interested in a Spectral EX review since I don’t see the opportunity to test one.

toronte
    Free Member

Had the same ideas as in the topic above:
    1, don’t like the colour for the EX model (red only)
    2, rather have pikes (or 34’s)
    3, rather have xt brakes
    4, also fancy the top of the range strive but reviews weren’t so bright and there’s no test opportunity
    5, is it only me or base model seems better value for money?

3dvgirl
    Free Member

why do people ride bikes that are to big for them?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

the customer is always right 🙄

toronte
    Free Member

For example I rode a 16″ Merida before my 18″ Zesty. I had the seatpost extended fully until mark and used a 100mm stem. I feel much more “at home” on the Zesty. Always had a doubt if the Merida was small for me but the Zesty feels just right.
    So… would I sit on a smaller bike just because it’s the recommended one despite I know from experience that the bigger one fits me better?

sharkattack

Currently a little bit in love with this one for £2999. Only the forks put me off.

I’m going to wait and see what next years YT Wicked looks like because it’ll probably have Pikes or BOS

MSP

I got measured up at the canyon shop in Koblenz, I am 6’2″ and they recommended a medium, I was quite surprised and suggested they should roll a large outside for me to try as well, the medium was miles too small, and I would have preferred a longer top tube on the large, with shorter stem. The xl was a fair bit too big though iirc there is a bigger jump from l to xl than from m to l.

That was for a 29er hardtail, applied the same logic when I bought a downhill bike, but think the medium may have been the better option in that case.

patriotpro
    Free Member

4, also fancy the top of the range strive but reviews weren’t so bright

Can you link to said reviews please? (I haven’t yet seen one)

sharkattack – was looming at those myself, just last night – very nice indeed.

toronte
    Free Member

This isn’t the high-end spec but I assume suspension tuning is similar throughout the model range:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-canyon-strive-al-8-0-13-47507/

maico
    Free Member

This isn’t the high-end spec but I assume suspension tuning is similar throughout the model range:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-canyon-strive-al-8-0-13-47507/

No, the 2014 models are updated.

maico
    Free Member

Ifrider – Member

… Surely there’s a catch, not seen much in the way of reviews so what do you guy think ?

I think you’ve been asleep for the last 3 years !

joolsburger
    Free Member
    taxi25
    Free Member

Take the Canyon size calculator with a pinch of salt. I’m a gangly 6ft and it recomends a medium road bike. I’ve got a large Aeroad and its spot on, medium would be ridiculous.

keefus
    Free Member

Outstanding bike! I’ve had my Nerve X9 for nearly 2 yrs and its bombproof. After any trip out whether its Gisburn, the Lake district, Llandegla, Snowdon or the Purbecks I have my bike checked over by Dennis at Cyclefix in Poole and it comes back without ANYTHING having to be done. Apart from servicing, disc pads and a rear mech its cost me nowt. I’m 5’10” and the medium is spot on.

Bigmantrials

I have been looking on the Canyon site alot recently, the Spectral 29er is begging to be bought! I think some carefull saving will be happening between now and next spring!

There are a couple of guys I know with Canyons and they have been very pleased with them, The whole ‘not being able to try before you buy’ is abit daunting though…..

I had a blast through their size calculator, I am 6ft4 and it came out as a large (around 19inch), all other 19inch bikes I have been right on the edge of suitable, riding a 20inch 29er now which seems much better!

passtherizla
    Free Member

having ridden a few of both canyon and YT industries if the bike you are looking at is covered on the YT site too then I’d spend my cash there…. apart from the paint jobs they just felt better. saying that YT don’t do a 29er or any non gravity bikes really it seems.

hughjengin
    Free Member

All I can say is that I have two MTB’s a carbon specialized 29er stumpy and a Canyon 29er HT, the Canyon is 100% better engineered, manufactured and most of all assembled compared to the Stumpy. The Canyon actually looks like its been built up and finished by someone who actually gives a s**t, I wouldn’t hesitate again

Dougal
    Free Member

Raced a Canyon Al 29er this year. Originally purchases as a winter training bike and 29er experiment, ended up sticking light bits on it to use for racing as I liked it so much. Great bike, would not hesitate to buy again.

I think their size guide for 29ers was slightly off, like it was setup for longer stems than they supply. I ended up getting a medium (5′ 9″) against their recommendation, was within a few mm of my other bikes out of the box. I definitely would have regretted the small. My advice would be to get a bike fit on your current bike, measure the hell out of it, and compare to their charts and images.

The detail and features on the frame are fantastic, really well thought out.

geologist
    Free Member

Im about to buy the nerve 29er. Im going for a small, im 5ft 7 and a half 🙂

Anyone my height? What size have you gone for?

cheers

timc
    Free Member

They do look absolutely amazing value & the frames look the business engineering wise!

gamo
    Free Member

Have had a Nerve 29er for just over a month and think its great, the ride is fantastic and build quality is outstanding!

maico
    Free Member

My advice on size is make sure you measure your inseam correctly. Book up crutch and measure standing on a hard floor.This distance is often greater than your trouser size.

Secondly use the geo chart on the site, every dimension is shown.It really is very obvious what size is required for a MTB.

Normally there are 10 or so bikes on display at Canyon in London.
    I was there last month. There was a medium Nerve 29er, a large CF Nerve plus some road bikes to sit on.

Price-wise Canyon seem to have abandoned the automatic daily price linked to the exchange rate. They have rounded up Sterling prices and fixed them, so perhaps not as good value as they once were when you could buy in periods of Sterling strength.

hebridean
    Free Member

Geologist, I’m 5’7″ and I ride a small Nerve AM (2011). It’s spot on for me.

For the OP, I have found the bike to be excellent pretty much out of the box. Changed the stock Schwalbe tyres that came with the bike but everything else is original kit. Customer service is good, with a UK contact. I had an initial problem with the Fox forks sorted by Canyon (under Fox warranty through Mojo) within a week (from an island). No problems since then.

One bit of advice – Order a spare mech hanger with the bike as postage from Germany for replacements is a bit steep.

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers, small it is.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Canyon MTBs – thoughts ?’ is closed to new replies.