Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Canyon hardtail 29ers
  • stimpy
    Free Member

Having a need for a new bike, my attention has turned to Canyon’s range of 29ers – but reviews seem thin on the ground.

Anyone riding either an alu or CF hardtail Canyon 29er? How’s the handling – does it prefer to plough through stuff or is it a bit more flickable and playful? Is the CF worth the extra 500 notes above the alu frame?

My riding is XC and trail stuff, no big stuff so I reckon no need for a FS rig.

Cheers in advance.

stimpy
    Free Member

Bump

bigpole
    Free Member

You wont get much response as the first of the 29ers only came out in Dec 12. I have a Yellow Stone AL 6.9 29 er I love it, well worth the money (Rubbish Brakes though) Handling ….. I cant say I have not ridden any other 29ers. I was impressed with the weight and handling considering the size (XL) though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’ve been arround a lot longer than 2 months. BikeRadar seems to like them.

radoggair
    Free Member

looked at the slx CF xtr version for a while, but the 6 month waiting list put me off. I needa a bike this month, not by August. Even the top end one isn’t available to May.

Dragons den………….. i’m out!!!

Can i also say, the price has risen by about 8% in past month, so for 3.3k, you can get a great carbon frame (lighter than the canyon), a RS xx, a lightweight wheelset and xt/xtr component mix for same money

pugster007
    Free Member

I am at the opposite end of the size scale to bigpole – I have a small Yellowstone AL6.9 on order and according to my e mail it is on it’s way. I ordered it on January 9th with a CW9 (end of Feb) delivery.

I had an Inbred 29er before so I’ll post a review when I have had the chance to go out on it a few times.

The price has increased by 50 pounds since I ordered, don’t forget to factor in shipping & bike box.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most of that 8% was probably the £ tanking against the euro (I’d noticed that too).

Last August £ bought you 1.28 euro
    Today that’s about 1.14 euro

That’s why Canyon are now 8% more than they were.

stimpy
    Free Member

The wait for the CF slx is a biggy for me too. I was thinking the 8.9 slx but its a long wait. My budget doesnt stretch past 2k so the 8.9 slx at 1.7k fitted well. Any other recommendations for a CF hardtail 29er that i wont have to wait that long for? And any other canyon alu 29er riders out there?

S_J
    Free Member

I bought an AL7.9 last summer and have been really pleased with it. However, I’ve pretty much changed everything beyond the wheels, frame and fork. I’ve got mine to about 23lbs as a result, so it’s pretty nimble. I’m running 2×10 XTR with hope race brakes. I’ve also added Easton finishing kit. One thing I would say is that it felt short out of the box despite reading some reviews suggesting they size up quite long in the TT (I’m 6’1 and on a large – 19). I ditched the inline seatpost and 90mm stem for a layback post and 100mm stem and it feels much better to me, but different strokes.. Even in it’s original spec, even if you just treat it as a rolling chasis to upgrade, it’s pretty much untouchable in terms of value for money. I also considered the Rose Mr Ride’s but it’s not quite as good VFM..

trebord
    Free Member

Check out Rose Bikes, too. I quite like the look of this Mr Big:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-mr-big-6-583976/aid:583983

Like Canyon, a good amount of decent kit for the price..

OwenP

I’ve got a grand canyon AL 7.9 29er if that’s the type of thing you are looking at?

Had it since October, its supposed to be the winter bike and come summer the plan is for it to be the local XC bike (no big hills near me so woodsy singletrack and Swinley is the usual local riding). Can’t say i have seen the carbon version in person, so i cant comment on the difference and whether its worth the price. It does look like the geometry is the same / very similar on the alu and carbon bikes.

I don’t think i have had it long enough to comment on its full potential and this is my first 29er, as well as coming from generally less XC-focussed bikes. In short, i am still getting used to it but i wouldn’t describe the ride as “ploughing through things”, and “flickable” doesnt jump to mind either…! “Effective” is the word i would probably use just now, mates say it is noticeably quick to follow (compared to my other bikes). Honestly i dont think i have completely clicked with it just yet for more technical trails but i am hoping that I will once the mud tyres come off and the trails improve. No issues dealing with Canyon or the bike so far and it was great value when i got it, shame if the exchange rate has made them pricier.

EDIT: 6’2″ here, riding a 19″ with a 70mm stem (came with a 90), standard everything else.

stimpy
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys – I’m leaning towards the 8.9 alu frame for 1300 notes – I reckon i’m in for a medium (5’10).

Encouraged by the ‘nimble’ description (and effective/quick to follow) – I’m mostly singletrack/woodsy/XC riding. Glad to hear Owen’s comment about it shifting from being a winter bike to summer local XC bike, sounds like it may well be just the thing.

Black & white or white & blue…hmmm…decisions decisions… 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Black & white or white & blue…hmmm…decisions decisions…

I’m thinking of white/blue, then swaping out the blue anodised kit on it for red and getting some custom union jack decals.

weejase40
    Free Member

hi,
    been reading this and other Canyon threads.I’m looking at the Grand canyon AL 29. Spec looks too good to be true for the money. I’ve seen the “customer service” thread also, which really doesn’t bother me.
    I can’t seem to find a geometry page for this or any of the other hardtail 29ers.My first choice of 29er was the Orange clockwork being a 2007 Five owner. but for 850 quid the spec is quite poor to be very honest. bike is going to be purchased through C2W so the 1k limit doesn’t allow me to buy an S model Clockwork.
    head says Canyon
    heart says stick with Orange, and upgrade.

geologist
    Free Member

Haha, I just started a grand canyon thread 😉
    I think im just about to pull the plug on the carbon cf sl model.

jasonm945
    Free Member

Geometry is at the bottom of the page with the equipment tab 🙄

weejase40
    Free Member

cheers for that(black websites have no visible tabs 🙄 and confirmed I’d loose a ball on a small frame, and XS is 27.5mm wheels. oh well, that’s my short list shortened.

steve1414
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9…I’m pleased with the spec/price of it compared with buying from a shop. One of the recent bike mags reviewed with Orange CW-29er and rated it poorly for spec of kit. This would immediately put me off buying one.

steve1414
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9…I’m pleased with the spec/price of it compared with buying from a shop. One of the recent bike mags reviewed with Orange CW-29er and rated it poorly for spec of kit. This would immediately put me off buying one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One of the recent bike mags reviewed with Orange CW-29er and rated it poorly for spec of kit. This would immediately put me off buying one.

I wouldn’t let it though, I’ve bought bikes after mags gushed about how good they were, then been dissapointed, one man’s meant is another mans poison etc.

fatmax

I’m keen to get a 29er CF 6.9…does anyone else have any further feedback.

LMT
    Free Member

Ive got the Grand Canyon 6.9 Al, and its awesome. Really can’t praise it enough, a few blasts round Cannock and all good so took it to CYB and just as good. Over rocks, fast swoopy bits, baby jumps and shockingly no problems on switchbacks was prepared for some issues at Cannock but found it easier to get round.

NormalMan

I knew one of the fellow Spesh Camber owners had one but couldn’t remember who so didn’t post.

Out of interest LMT, have you made any changes or is it stock?

LMT
    Free Member

Yep ive got the speshi camber expert as well, the last of the 26ers.

Mines completely stock at the moment, not had it long enough. I did change the saddle to a BG Henge just like the camber but tbh the new saddle isn’t as comfy as the one I got with the camber.

For now I will keep it as it is, even the Avid Elixir brakes work, shocking I know. I probably get some SLX brakes at some point but for now no need.

Pic of bike on this thread.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-hardtail-29er/page/2

NormalMan

Cool. Thanks LMT. Looks nice. I’d posted in that thread but missed the follow up when it arrived.

Thread hijack over! 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Canyon hardtail 29ers’ is closed to new replies.