• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wors.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Canyon grand canyon CF5.9
  • mrmo
    Free Member

after some feedback about the above bike, currently on a Trek Top fuel and mulling over a change. The old bike is now composed of so many old standards and starting to show it’s age.

On the basis that i don’t use the bike that much and so not wanting to spend vast sums of money and wanting something light and fast and looking for something fairly comfortable thought the above might be worth a look, usage is longish rides upto 70-80miles not on the most technical of terrain. Cotswolds mainly.

short term plan swap saddle, medium term bars, wheels, and seatpost to save weight, on the basis that their is a weight saving, is there???

Any alternatives for similar money that offer a similar result?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have the CF SL version. A few thoughts

It certainly isn’t comfy..I’d not wanting to be doing 70 mile rides on it. I bought it as a race bike, but hardly used it as I’ve not entered any races! If you are after something light and fast for short XC blasts I’d consider it, but for anything else I’d go for something a bit more multipuropse.

I swapped my giant anthem for this bike, and there isn’t a day I don’t regret it as for a day to day bike its a far better option

gumstabber
    Free Member

I own a Grand Canyon CF7.9. It’s light, hard and fast. It accelerates and climbs like nothing else I’ve ridden – but then it should because that’s what it’s built to do. It absolutely monsters fire-road and sweeping smooth-ish singletrack

What it’s not built to do is black and red trails at Welsh Trail Centres like Afan. It makes my hands hurt – perhaps though that’s because my hands are soft as I’ve got used to 140mm of travel. Also going down steep stuff I keep thinking I want to be further back on the bike but the stem is long in order to make it racey.

What I guess I’m saying is – my CF7.9 is an awesomely fast bike it’s just not comfortable on particularly rugged beaten up terrain. Horses for Courses and all that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wors

I’m ready to pull the trigger on one of these. Fancy a stab at racing but would be mostly used for local XC rides. But with a few lakes trips thrown in, Capable to handle a bit of lakes rough?

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve got a CF SL 7.9 I think, can’t remember the exact model. I regularly do 50 milers on it, mainly loamy, woodland xc with a few roots and lumps chucked in and it’s very comfortable. Some tubeless 2.4s at 25psi plus a 70mm stem and carbon bars seems to suit. Still bloody quick uphill (everything’s relative remember)

I’d say it’s a great choice for long xc style days out.

wors

Noticed your sizing question on another thread. Did you go for medium? How do you find it?

yossarian
    Free Member

The medium is spot on for me. I’m 43 and I get a stiff back pretty easily these days. Any hardtail I can ride for 5 hours at a time must fit pretty well

wors

Cheers pal. Sounds spot on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Canyon grand canyon CF5.9’ is closed to new replies.