• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wors.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Canyon Grand Canyon
  • wors

Some real world rider reviews and pics if you please 😀

medders
    Free Member

Proper twitchy XC race bike. Fast and stiff – lovely. Could be used for technical riding but would need highly skilled rider.

No pics – had one – sold it as I stopped racing and I have other bikes better suited to more general riding.

wors

Which model did you have? Looking at the AL slx that they are bringing out for next year, slightly more relaxed HA (68.5), Light and fast is what im after though 🙂

medders
    Free Member

I had the CF SL version (cant remember which number). It had a steep (70 from memory) HA – head down bum up. I very much like that type of bike – but in its place. A more relaxed HA may well make it a very nice all round hardtail – like to scott scale. Light and fast it certainly would be. I would go for the carbon if possible (even the lowest spec finishing kit) as the rear stay flex really helped with comfort whilst not affecting speed.

yossarian
    Free Member

Got last years 7.9 CF SL

Fits really well – 5 ft 10 on a medium

Climbs great, is pretty light (10.3 kg out of the box), descends like an xc machine and I’ve found it to be extremely comfortable – have put in plenty of 50 milers and rides over 5 hours with no discomfort at all. Carbon all the way IMO

wors

Don’t suppose you are around Manchester area to sling a leg over it, I’m 6ft and think I need a large but would like to make sure.

yossarian
    Free Member

Nope, down south I’m afraid

Give Canyon a call and ask them, they were really helpful when I called to check sizing before I pressed the button.

tom200

I have had a go on last years, it felt very old school (not in a good way). Good power transfer but a bit twitchy. Probably great for racing, not so good for “trail riding”. I ride a Scott scale 29er it’s much nicer IMHO.

Cracking value though OBvS.

fatmax

I’ve got last year’s 6.9 (?) carbon with Fox forks, XT gearing and Formula brakes. I absolutely love it, but then I’m very much a wheels on the ground xc rider. It’s definitely got a low front end and relatively steep head angle, but that’s fine for me. 6’5″ on an XL in Edinburgh if anyone wants a sit on it.

padkinson
    Free Member

I raced on one for a good year or so, and it’s a very quick XC bike as others have said, but definitely not playful or very confident inspiring on the descents. It’s pretty comfortable so good for long distances, but when I moved to a Niner AIR 9 RDO I definitely found the Niner a lot better on the descents and stiffer under power. I did break one, but it was just cracks, not catastrophic failure, and Canyon replaced it straight away with no fuss.

TL;DR: it’s a quick old school XC bike.

LMT
    Free Member

I had the 2014 AL 6.9 bike, Reba’s up front, crossone wheel set, combination of slx/xt chainset, was a great bike. Once I got the wheels rolling it was quick and playful and my go to bike.

Only reason I sold it was I wanted to get another 29er and a full sus so sold it to get the one bike.

I know I only had the basic one, but I would have another without thinking about it, great bike.

monkeyboyjc

I had one of the first ali versions – great frame with a lot of the stuff which is now standard on many frames – but wasn’t back then (tapered headtube, 142m bolt through rear, press fit bb etc.).
    It rode well too. But I ended up selling as it was had a little too much orientated towards xc / racey for me and not enough trail based.

padkinson
    Free Member

Mine built up with SIDs, XO and Crest/LB carbon rims.

Edit – still can’t get the hang of putting pictures on here

View post on imgur.com

wors

Cheers gents, I reckon the new al slx is the way to go

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Grand Canyon’ is closed to new replies.