Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Canyon exchange rates?
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Just been looking at the Canyon site. When you say your country is germany and it shows the price in Euros then swap to the English site the exchange rate is no where near right? Any ideas?

Cheers

wrecker
    Free Member

This was done a while ago. It’s a case of tough Tits I’m afraid mate. Canyon Germany won’t deliver to the UK and the UK prices are what they are.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ideas? Buy in Euros and get delivered to a Euro zone address. Got family or friends in Ireland?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ticsmon

Been looking at this myself. I’ve heard that you can get a flight over pay in euros have a couple of nights out and fly back with the bike for the same as it would cost here

Danno72
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll hit up some mates in europe if that’s the only way?

atlaz
    Free Member

have a couple of nights out

couple of nights out in Koblenz. They’d feel like a month (it’s a couple of hours from here, it’s worth a passing visit, not much more). Frankfurt is fun tho.

nickthegreek
    Free Member

I questioned them about it a few weeks ago and got this response
    “Many thanks for your e-mail.

In line with many other major brands Canyon prices its products specifically for each local market. This allows us to have a fixed price in each market for the whole season, and not expose customers to any exchange rate fluctuations.

So if you are buying a bike for delivery in the UK, the only way to do this is to pay in GBP/£ at the price shown on our website. Orders for the delivery to the ROI are priced in Euros.

It’s not possible for orders that ship to the UK to be processed using the advertised Euro price, just the GBP one.

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd”

So I thought sod this for a game of soldiers and picked up a nukeproof mega instead. Much fun to be had.

ps Thanks to the chaps at Ubyk. Great service.

philholmes
    Free Member

Even better is to order and import to Switzerland then you pay Euro price but get 12% back once imported. Bargain!

avdave2

i was looking at the 2016Giant Defy 1 today, available already in Australia at a price google’s exchange rate put at around £860. You can bet your life it won’t be that price in the UK.

curto80
    Free Member

There’s a little known work around to this which you can find here:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk

psycorp
    Free Member

Easy, don’t buy Canyon and don’t get fleeced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can bet your life it won’t be that price in the UK.

Certainly we have a VAT rate of 10% here
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.1/19187/77294/
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/defy.1/18929/76628/

2015 Bike Aus Ex Tax £668
    2015 Bike UK Ex Tax £749

Now there could well be some import duty in there but thats fairly close (and based on todays exchange rate)

It’s also not that stable and as somebody who has to deal in AU$, NZ$ and US$ for pricing & sales it’s a very difficult thing to gauge. At the very least the prices will be set when deals are done and deposits paid for bikes, and likely done in US$.

LAT

Giant bikes are cheaper in Canada than the USA. i suspect that there are local distribution arrangements that dictate the prices charged around the world. I remember being in NZ about 10 years ago and marveling at how cheap Giants were.

Are there any post forwarding services inside Europe that will handle a package as big as a bike? I’d like to know as canyon won’t deliver to the U.S. even if you pay in GBP.

Danno72
    Free Member

philholmes How does this 12% work in CH? Have friends there I might be able to call on for a favour.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just wondering the same ^^^^
    Or do they gave a shop you can rock up and buy from?

garage-dweller

Their policy is effectively managing some of their exchange risk. The euro has been devalued relative to the £ so keeping the UK price at its previous level helps mitigate some of the losses they may be making from other exchange differences (your £ now nets them more €).

Your choice whether to pay or not or try and beat the system but it is still the same £ cost to you as it would have been months ago or I assume it is anyway.

rickmeister

I did this for a mate in the Uk (Im in Germany)… it worked and he saved a few hundred quid.

Observations from this would be:

I could hop the queue if there was a bike in store and pay the Euro price plus 2 euros handling and it would be delivered in 3 days by the postie. Fast !

I ordered a specific bike, it was the same wait as a UK order.

The courier bit can be spendy so that needs factoring in.Best to time it when I drive back to the UK and I would put it in the car.

I transferred the cash through an offshore account and got a very good rate.

It was easy and Canyon were great to talk to and deal with.

Bike was a Strive AL in Team Colours… circa 2k Euros i think.

I’m back in September to Edinburgh for teh Foxhunt….

tomnavman
    Free Member

I also spoke to Canyon about this and one other thing no one has mentioned is the warranty and the 30 day money back – they will only collect the bike from the country it was sent to if there are any issues.

As we weren’t 100% sure on the sizing we didnt want to take the risk and just paid the £ price, its still a great bike at a very good price compared to other brands in the UK!

Danno72
    Free Member

rickmeister What sort of money ( ball park ) we looking at for a courier from germany?

br
    Free Member

It’s also not that stable and as somebody who has to deal in AU$, NZ$ and US$ for pricing & sales it’s a very difficult thing to gauge.

Yep. Agreed another years’ rate at 2.14NZD earlier this year…

In my defence we’d made on the rate over the previous three years, can’t see us not making a loss on this one – luckily it’s services and not goods.

honourablegeorge

crashtestmonkey – Member
    Ideas? Buy in Euros and get delivered to a Euro zone address. Got family or friends in Ireland?

Send it to me. It can just rest in my shed until you collect it. Promise.

philholmes
    Free Member

Sorry, only just seen the question.

Basically the CH tax rate is 8% on imported good.

but due to canyon bikes already existing in switzerland I had to get my bikes delivered to my friends in Germany, I then drove them over the border declaring at customs, getting German export stamps and paying the Swiss 8% import.

Then just send the import paperwork back to Canyon who then refund the 19% German VAT to your account.

it sounds like a faff, but the German address I use is only an hours drive from me it is pretty simple.

now if you do this and then export from CH to EU then in theory you should pay the EU VAT again… if you get caught that is.

avdave2

Certainly we have a VAT rate of 10% here

Lucky you! although the price difference you show isn’t that great I was looking at the 2016 model and the current cost of that in Australia. I’d expect another £100 to be added to the UK price when it comes with disks and 11 speed 105, It’ll keep it within the cycle to work limit and I can see it being very popular.

wrecker
    Free Member

If you’re looking at the higher end; the Nicolai Ion 16 techline seems pretty good value and you’ll pay whatever the current exchange rates are

It would currently set you back £3691 (and it will be awesome).

bluebird
    Free Member

If you buy a Canyon and have it shipped to Germany to get the cheaper price will Canyon in the UK help you with warranty issues or will you have to pay to ship it back to Germany?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Canyon exchange rates?’ is closed to new replies.