Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Canyon – Carbon Frame Chainstay Crack
  • parkinpants
    Free Member

Evening,

After only 4 rides I’ve managed to crack the frame on a Canyon Strive. The crack is on the chainstay non-drive side. It’s not a clean snap (yet) but if I put pressure on it I can feel movement, and the crack is almost all the way around the tube.

I’ve no idea how it happened as I’ve not had any notable crashes. Presumably they’ll put me down as ‘crash replacement’ rather than manufacturer defect/free repair though.

Apparently the ‘crash replacement’ cost of an entirely new frame (in the 1st year) is £1k. The rear triangle appears to be in two pieces though, with the lower part of the triangle (chainstay) a separate piece. So I’m hoping that if they deal as ‘crash replacement’ that they will only charge for that part.

At the moment I’m waiting for the ‘tech department’ to come back to me.

I have to say, to crack my first carbon frame on a MTB after only 4 rides and with no obvious incident to cause it doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

If anyone else has had a similar experience and can tell me what to expect… please let me know.

chakaping
    Free Member

Show us a pic then. Does it look like it’s had an impact?

Just spent a week with a pal who was riding one of these on some really rocky trails and the Fort William DH track and his is still in one piece, so yours may be a manufacturing defect.

Hope you get a good result anyway.

mcnultycop

My Canyon nerve frame cracked after more than a year. Canyon just sorted it out. Offered to do the frame swap for me but I didn’t want to be without the bike so they couriered a frame to me, reimbursed me the LBS costs to build the bike and sent another courier for the old frame.

All sorted with a few emailed photos, and no cost to me.

Just email them, they are superb.

parkinpants
    Free Member

At least I know the bike is capable of doing serious DH runs then. I don’t suppose your mate has a white Strive and rode Fort William on the Monday after the World Cup?

McNulty, sounds promising! Hopefully I get the same reply you did.

Here’s a pic…

chakaping
    Free Member

At least I know the bike is capable of doing serious DH runs then. I don’t suppose your mate has a white Strive and rode Fort William on the Monday after the World Cup?

No, blue and last Friday. It seems a very capable bike and he is very pleased with it.

Let us all know how you get on.

plyphon
    Free Member

If after 4 rides (and presumably a short amount of time has passed since you received the bike) that should fall under Sales Of Goods Act as not fit for purpose and not lasting a reasonable length of time. Push for a free replacement or full refund. Google to arm yourselves on the UK law on this.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Provided there’s no crash damage on the outside of that stay – I’d say that was a full warranty replacement claim there.

Possibly a manufacturing defect relating to that internal cable point, somehow.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

AdeC
    Free Member

OP, keep us posted on this please. Very interested to hear how Canyon deal with this.

Cheers
    Ade

scoobaru
    Free Member

Also watching this closely because my finger is hovering over the buy button on the Canyon site 🙂

MSP

If after 4 rides (and presumably a short amount of time has passed since you received the bike) that should fall under Sales Of Goods Act as not fit for purpose and not lasting a reasonable length of time. Push for a free replacement or full refund. Google to arm yourselves on the UK law on this.

Do that if you want to get their backs up right from the off.

parkinpants
    Free Member

1 week later and still waiting for a reply. Feels like I’ve had no bike for a month.

scoobaru
    Free Member

1 week later and still waiting for a reply. Feels like I’ve had no bike for a month.

I tried calling the German office and got no reply 4 times. The UK one was better, 0208 5496001.

haggis1978

Would be keen to hear any updates on this as I’m waiting on mine to arrive.

ivagoc
    Free Member

it might be a manufacturing defect, i own a hard tail Grand canyon CF SLX since autumn 2013 and so far no problem at all w ifh the frame.

ekul
    Free Member

I’ve recently had to deal with canyons warranty dept after the DT Swiss hub had a lot of play in it after only 6 rides. I emailed canyon and told them I was getting the bearings replaced by my lbs (as I needed the bike that weekend) and would they consider reimbursing me. They replied within 3 days saying they would normally have to see the issue first hand but due to the age of the bike they were happy with just the photos and copy of receipt. Unfortunately it wasn’t just the bearings that were damaged so when the play returned after a couple more rides they told me to send it off to tf tuned where it was all sorted.under warranty.

Have to admit I was dreading it when I discovered the issue as I was expecting to be without my bike for months, but I found them pretty good to deal with! Hope your experience is the same.

arcadian
    Free Member

Did you email the uk@canyon.com customer service email? I contacted them by email with 2 pretty minor issues with my new bike in March and they went well above what I would have expected to make it right. Guessing summer time may be a busier time for the customer service folk? There’s a canyon UK twitter account too – guessing a prod on that publicly would get the ball rolling quicker for you if you don’t get a response any time soon 🙂

parkinpants
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve been talking to the UK e-mail. Still nothing yet. Their e-mail last week was to expect a reply “next week”, so time for a prod I think. Maybe I shouldn’t have complained to them about the EUR vs GBP price differential 🙁

parkinpants
    Free Member

Update.

Rang to chase them up today. E-mailed me back. They want me to send the bike back. They’ll arrange UPS collection.

So probably another 2 weeks before I hear back.

gren
    Free Member

My wife cracked the forks on her Canyon road bike in an accident. A few emails including photos and two days later a new set were being arranged to go in the post. Had to be paid for but discounted in their crash replacement scheme. They just arrived today – 2 weeks from end to end

Great service form the local team.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m trying to organise a strive frame replacement* and they said they need it back to examine it and it could be up to 8 weeks for a replacement. Ie the whole summer. Disappointing really.

Canyon were pretty quick on the email front initially but recent ones have taken a little while. Maybe they’re busy.

I don’t think they’re being at all unreasonable with me, but I sort of expected them to bend over backwards a bit given the direct sales model. The fact that you can’t take the bike into a physical shop means you’re basically waiting helplessly for them to reply to an email.

Good luck OP – and keep us posted please.

*Car accident damage, I have no concerns over the integrity of Canyons as a brand.

Twin
    Free Member

I had a cracked Strive frame (the old AL). From me contacting them to getting the bike back, fully rebuilt with a new frame, was about 4 weeks. They even fitted a new reverb to the new frame!

parkinpants
    Free Member

UPS coming to collect tomorrow. It does seem that ringing them up gets things moving quicker.

So it’s been about 3 weeks now since I first e-mailed and only just getting collected. Starting to think I should have gone for the aluminium frame. Anyway, hopefully it will all be sorted for August before summer turns into Winter.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Starting to think I should have gone for the aluminium frame a bike from my local bike shop. 

ftfy

parkinpants
    Free Member

Good News…

Dear Nick,

Our colleagues in Germany have confirmed that your frame will be replaced under warranty. The work is scheduled for 29.07.15. Your bike will then be returned to you shortly thereafter.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Canyon Bicycles Ltd

MSP

Starting to think I should have gone for the aluminium frame a bike from my local bike shop.

LBS can be pretty hit and miss for warranty work as well, in fact they can often be just another step in the process causing delays.

AdeC
    Free Member

Cheers for the update. For the record, Canyon were great to deal with for a Strive rear shock warranty claim a few months ago. Turnaround was about 2.5 weeks. Top service.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Pretty much goes with my experience of dealing with them on such matters. Arranging bike pick up etc, ended up being nearly 2 months between bike drop off and returning to the customer.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cool. Good news.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Canyon – Carbon Frame Chainstay Crack’ is closed to new replies.