Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Canyon bikes question
  • jimster01

Are they as good as the spec of the kit on them or just an overdressed dogs dinner?

jimster01

Don’t all rush to answer at once 🙂

hebridean
    Free Member

I own 2. Great bikes. No issues here with aftersales service either.

kelvin

“as good”

You probably need to explain what it is you are asking about. Build quality? Handling? Longevity?

Marko

Are they as good as the spec of the kit on them …

YES!

OH has one as do the other ‘Ladies of the Canyon’. So that’s 3 Canyon AMs that I know of in female hands. Mate (male) has one as well.

All good

Only thing against them is the paint is ‘thin’, but that may have improved as the wife’s is 26″ and at least 3 years old.

Does that help?

Marko

akira

Actual delivery of bikes has been pretty shocking recently, not sure if they’ve caught up yet.

jimw
    Free Member

If my almost three year old nerve 29 Al is anything to go by they are fine bikes. It is a good handler, has been very reliable and it’s anodised finish is virtually unblemished.
    I’d buy another which says something I guess.

But of course I am biased as I own one!

jimster01

Sorry,should have asked whether the frame is as good as the rest of the spec,handling wise

jimw
    Free Member

Amongst the group I regularly cycle with, there are my Nerve AL29, a carbon Lux 29, A carbon Nerve 26, three pre-shapeshifter Strives and a Shapeshifter strive plus a carbon 29er hardtail all bought new from Canyon

All are good handling bikes and fit their intended use very well. All but the carbon hard tail are still owned by the original buyers, although I think one of the Strives may be going soon

The only serious reliability problem was on the 26 Carbon Nerve, which had an issue with the bearing seats in the carbon rotating, but the frame was replaced by Canyon in about a month which seems to be about par for the course with warranty replacements with other makes we have experienced (with the exception of a replacement Giant carbon Anthem frame which was much quicker)

to put that in perspective, over the past ten years there have been five Trek frame failures , two Lapierre Zesty rear triangle failures and two Giant frame failures replaced under warranty

jakehinton
    Free Member

Ive got a Torque DHX and its really very good, great fun bike! The frames seems very well made with good attention to detail.

boltonjon

Google Canyon Customer Support – some big issues at present

Lots of friends have them and rave about the actual bike – but poor after service would make me reconsider and either get a bike local with a lower spec or save up some more pennies

jakehinton
    Free Member

I had a minor issue with mine which was sorted out very quickly and emails responded to within a day or two. So not all bad on the customer service front!

jimster01

I’m looking at the Endurace end of the market,so headed more at the road end of the market.

gren
    Free Member

My missus rides an aluminium Endurance, has had it for a year now. Great value bike and a great frame. Just over 8kg, full 105, Mavics and full carbon fork for £800. Bargain.

Came on time too!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Somebody I know has had nothing but trouble with his Canyon, rear triangle keeps breaking on his full Susser and they’ve tried weaselling out of warranty work every time

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Not trolling, just curious – but why would anyone buy a bike without trying it first just because of it’s spec list? Computers I understand – but the joy of buying a bike is that they are all different, and inevitably, the one you “click” with, isn’t the one you set out to buy.

jimdubleyou

why would anyone buy a bike without trying it first just because of it’s spec list?

To a certain extent everybody does this anyway – even on bikes they demo as you rarely get time to truly test it.

deviant
    Free Member

just curious – but why would anyone buy a bike without trying it first just because of it’s spec list?

I do it all the time: decide what kind of bike I want (xc, all mountain, DH etc) look at the geometry to see if it’s what I like or have had before, decide if I can afford it….then look at the spec, this is often the deciding factor and the direct sale brands do this better than most.

A Spesh with stock Specialized parts and in-house wheels or a YT with branded essentially after-market upgraded parts for the same price?….no contest, it also helps that companies like Canyon, YT, Rose, Radon etc are universally well received by the mags.

It’s a bike, you’re not buying a house, it’s easy.

LMT
    Free Member

In the last few years I’ve had 3 canyons, my advice is get one that’s showing as in stock or fairly close otherwise you will wait and wait.

The 3 bikes I’ve had is first one for the oh, we couldn’t find a bike small enough with the right reach and spec, so we went for a nerve w8, its a great piece of kit the oh loves it. The bike is over 3 years old now but still looks great.

The second was a road bike which I have still have and no plans to change.

The third a hard tail 29er which I later sold as needed to downsize the amount of bikes, so I sold my speshi camber 26er and the canyon and got a new 29er camber, the only reason I didn’t get a 29er nerve was it was out of stock.

Matt_SS_xc

girlfriend has a strive.

Only criticism would be the lacquer on polished frame seems thin so has left a few marks. Savings mean if we pay for a respray we are still significantly quids in.

Had a reverb issue, sorted within a week.

would happily buy one again.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 Nerve 29er and I love it, no issues with it at all. I’m looking at Canyon again for my next road bike too.

Sancho
    Free Member

I know a few people with the road bikes, every single one has snapped at least once, one guy had to write in German to get hiw warranty dealt with, another was offered a “crash replacement” for £1700.

needless to say I dont know anyone who recommends them to anyone.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think they’re great as a starter/cheapo bike. I’d happily have one of those Ultimate Al road bikes for around a grand.

Could never bring myself to any more on one as they’re dull as dish water

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

If you are on twitter have a look for the twitter account about un-delivered Canyon bikes. Some real horror stories, sounds like they currently have major issues….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Canyon bikes question’ is closed to new replies.