Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Canyon Bikes- Nerve XC and MR
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking to get a new bike for my XC orientated rides in South Wales. I would say I am naturally stronger climbing rather than descending so am looking for a bike that climbs well but is a good skill compensator on the way down 😀

I have looked at various bikes from the big names and can’t see any reason why you wouldn’t buy a Canyon. The spec is incredible for the price and the no questions 30 day return gets over the internet only problems. I would say I am looking for something that sits between the Giant Anthem X and Giant Trance X- i.e. a great XC bike that is a bit better down than an Anthem X and with a bit more XC ability and less sluggish up than a Trance X.

Talking quickly to Canyon UK it seems as though a Nerve XC fits the bill nicely. My concern is for the pedalling and XC ability however. So can anyone with a Nerve XC or MR help me out please on the pedalling and climbing feel of these bikes please?

Many thanks, DanW

stanfree
    Free Member

I got my Nerve XC 5 last week and Im really pleased with It. I haven’t done a great deal of climbing but been done a local downhill track and It felt really good and actually rolled a lot quicker than On One hardtail. The pro pedal seems to work well and Its really light for a F/S bike there fore climbing should be really good. The spec and build quality seems great to me but my last new bike was a GT Aggressor so Its certainly a step up . I’d say buy one as the prices will IMO certainly go up once these bikes are better known.

lucien

Bought a Nerve XC frameset with an RP23 on it, put some Fox 32 RLC’s on it, ZTR Crest wheels, lightweight tyres and it flies. Very stiff on the climbing, particularly with the pro pedal on and coming down an extra 2cms of bounce in the rear (compared to my Epic which it replaces) is noticeable – I absolutely love it.

DanW
    Free Member

Lucien, how would you rate the climbing abilities of the Nerve XC in relation to your Epic? It seems quite XC orientated for a 120mm ‘Trail’ bike from what I can gather- do you think this is fair? If so it would be ideal for me 🙂

lucien

Dan it was bought to replace the Epic, which was a 2008 model. TBH I found the whole back end flexy on the Epic and the “brain” shock very hit and miss. The Canyon has a 4 bar set up, and is much plusher – I can feel, see and hear it working, whereas on the Epic you had to hit something pretty hard for the “Brain” to engage. I’ve built the Canyon to be about the same weight as the Epic at around 24lbs. Downsides so far of the Canyon – I have to reach down and flick the pro-pedal on and it’s only got 1 bottle cage mount due to shock position – both of which I can more than live with, given how well it goes up hill. With the pro-pedal on, it’s like riding a HT 😛

Would thoroughly recommend it – am even going to race it when the Gorricks start again, as I’m hoping it will be more durable and comfortable than the Epic

tomaso
    Free Member

Got any pictures of the lower linkage – on the chainstays / bottom bracket area on the non-drive side?

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the Nerve MR……100mm travel both ends, its really a XC race bike. For S.Wales I’d say go for a Nerve XC, be more fun on the steep stuff and at Afan, will give you a bit more help on the way down. Still nice and light too.

Nerve AM too maybe but thats more bike than I’d want these days.

DanW
    Free Member

Thanks for the Nerve MR info mcboo. I am hesitating between the MR and XC so it is good to get some extra opinions. I think the Nerve XC sounds like exactly what I am after 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Bikes- Nerve XC and MR’ is closed to new replies.