Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Canyon bike problem – Need help sorting this out
  • indeedfox
    Free Member

I need help if anyone can offer any. I ordered a Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX at the beginning Feb which finally turned up 11 days ago. The components are amazing but the Large frame is, as reviewed on here after I bought it, horribly short to the point where it will be dangerous on a steep incline. I’ve been trying to get Canyon to honour their returns policy but no one is responding from them. The UK have closed their phone line and aren’t responding to emails. I’m running out of time to get it back to them. This is terrible customer service and going by their facebook page and twitter account, I’m one of many having problems with them

Thoughts are really appreciated as I’m feeling pretty let down by these guys.

Hang fire on the we told you so’s please ; )

simondbarnes

Have you phoned Canyon in Germany?

hora
    Free Member

You knew the TT measurement pre purchase or is a manufacturing tube length error?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

You knew the TT measurement pre purchase or is a manufacturing tube length error?

It doesn’t really matter – they have a ‘return it if you don’t like it’ policy.

As above, try phoning them in Germany. I’m not them but the fact you’ve emailed withint the time limit should mean you can return it?

I wonder if the UK guy was in Fort William or somethign last week?

warpcow
    Free Member

You’ve done this, right? If so I’d wait to hear from them. As wwaswas says, you’ve notified them within the 30 days (so no need to be getting scared after 11 days, yet), so the ball’s in their court now.

indeedfox
    Free Member

Mostly good advice all. I have phoned them and they politely (no sarcasm there, they really were nice) asked me to get in touch with the UK guys.

What with the Giro and Fort Bill I have considered that they may have a small team and have gone away but you’d have someone responding even if to say we’ll be a few days.

I really wanted to like these guys but they seem to have problems with communication.

The worst thing is that I would have swapped it for another one of their bikes but as they haven’t responded I’ve had to go and buy a Cube for a holiday I’m off on.

warton
    Free Member

IME the guy who fronts the UK office isn’t the best to deal with. When i had issues with payment I gave up on him and phoned the German office, who were brilliant.

lucien

I love the Canyon sales model, think the bikes and spec are amazing, and the lack of ANY support in the UK put me off completely buying a second one. When I did get through on the phone to the UK chap, he was quite possible one of the most unhelpful people I have ever dealt with – good luck OP, and as per others would think an email trail, and phone call to Germany are the way to go. If still no response, a parcel return, letter explaining all the above would be a good follow up….

tomaso
    Free Member

Apparently if your big Canyon think you should not but a 650B but go for their Spectral 29er that does come in XL

sgn23
    Free Member

How is a short reach dangerous downhill? Isn’t wheelbase the significant measurement for dh stability?

plyphon
    Free Member

also for future reference how tall are you OP?

br
    Free Member

A buddy has one of those, and bought a Small rather than Extra Small due to the sizing – the Large doesn’t look large enough – but then the WMB test stated that they came up small.

indeedfox
    Free Member

Thanks for all your thoughts . Interestingly they have gotten back to me and are going to send a courier to get the bike. I’ll update when that actually happens.

To explain a little further, the short reach is an oddity. You have to see one to get it. The seat tube is so far forwards you feel like you’re going “head over” at a standstill. Seasoned riders took one look and simply said “that’s not right”. On paper it looks good. I met a guy in Tesco car park a few days ago and he’s riding his. Doesn’t like the feel at all but is “learning to live with it” as he sheepishly told me. I couldn’t pay that much for a bike and have to tolerate it. We live and learn.

Thanks again all

phy7tes
    Free Member

Shame you didn’t like yours. I was going to get the 650b spectral but ended up going for the 7.9 (29er). I’m a shade under 6ft and canyon recommended a medium but I ordered a large. I’m genuinely delighted with it, very happy with the size and it rides incredibly. Had a couple of minor customer service issues to deal with, they were a bit slow to respond on one of them but have been great when actually getting around to it. They are obviously massively under resourced.

showerman
    Free Member

i have a torque which i have had now 4yrs. had issues from day 1, they did not have a service center then more a garage on the side of a house ans a muppet with a screw driver.
    i used my credit card to recall payment in the end which sent canyon into a spin but got my problems sorted. its a pity to hear they still employ uk muppets i thought with the new uk call center they had got their act together.
    one fun bike to ride downhill

switchback
    Free Member

indeedfox how tall are you?
    Had my 9.0ex for a couple of months now & me too is a very happy bunny.
    I had exactly the same feeling when mine arrived mainly down to WMB review but after comparing it to other bikes i.e santa cruz bronson i realised its really not that short. I took a punt and just got out riding and size has not been an issue – i’ll certainly take what i read in magazine reviews with a pinch of salt in the future.
    Can understand the frustration of no XL frame for taller people though which was the point i think WMB was really tying to make

fr0sty125
    Free Member

How did such a large company get this sort of frame wrong when bikes that are impressing most are those with long tt and short stem such as Kona process.

skydragon
    Free Member

Hope you get the bike returned ok, if that’s what you want to do (and are entitled to).

I’ve a Spectral AL in large and am 5′ 11″ and although I’m not an experienced rider it suits me just fine. The service from canyon was great and It only took about 6-7 weeks delivery back in April.

I don’t think there is much wrong with the bike frame or geometry….if it suits Joe Barnes and Fabien Barel, who are riding the same exact frame, I’d suggest there’s not a lot wrong with the bike’s design 😉

(Although I can appreciate larger/taller riders may be too big for the large size frame)

nathans77
    Free Member

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Canyon bike problem – Need help sorting this out’ is closed to new replies.