• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by karlp.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Canyon bike assembly
  • karlp
    Free Member

Hi,

Quick request for help.
    A friend has taken delivery of a Canyon Strive.
    The cassette is attached to the free hub but the free hub is not attached to the wheel.
    I’d assumed it would simply push/click into place.
    We can’t find the necessary instructions in the manual…

Anyone know how to attach the cassette & free hub to the wheel?

Thanks.

nixon
    Free Member

Usually the freehub shouldn’t be able to just come out of the hub, there should be an end cap or similar holding it on (usually). Anything rattling around in the box? Or on the end of the freehub?

As for fitting the freehub back into the hub, it should just be a case of push and click, but you may have to manipulate the pawls so that they’ll mesh with the drive ring.

hardupdad

Take it back to your local Canyon dealer and see if they can help.

fuch
    Free Member

Just a tad sarcastic there

fuch
    Free Member

Brilliant product but shocking customer service…shame

Del

as ^. what hub?

jimw
    Free Member

This also happened on one of the YT Capra’s I helped assemble for a friend.

In that case it was a DT Swiss wheel, the end cap was trapped behind the cassette lock ring so it was just a matter of pushing it back on, rotating the freehub to get the pawls to fit.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Take it to a decent LBS that isn’t scared of people buying bikes direct, pay the small amount of labour required to sort it out. Job done.
    For reference, yes I do work in such a said LBS & at a guess, would cost £15 to sort it, possibly less depending on workload, attitude, time taken & quality of biscuits/cake/beer also supplied.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

If you’re friend is disappointed I will happily buy the Strive off him, second hand price of course!

Canyon website has great schematics of their bikes and links to the parts manuals

legend
    Free Member

Bit weird, pretty sure my wheel was on the bike when it arrived. Do they come in differing states of undress?

Superficial
    Free Member

It shouldn’t have come apart but the freehub on my SRAM rail wheels (that came with my Strive) falls off at the drop of a hat. It depends which wheelset you’ve got though. Make sure that the pawl are completely clean before it goes back together, but it should just press together.

jonba
    Free Member

Usually the freehub shouldn’t be able to just come out of the hub,

On hope wheels you can pull it off by hand as it just presses in place.

benpinnick

Prefectly normal to happen. Its probably a DT swiss wheel or SRAM wheel right? So:

DT Swiss 1700 or lower number/SRAM 50/60 wheels:

4 parts – 2 springs, 2 ratchets.

Insert 1 spring into the hub over the axle, fat end in.
    Pair the ratchets together so they mesh on the teeth side. Slip the pair over the axle onto the spring.
    Insert other spring into the freehub, again fat side in.

Push it all together. The ratchets will not go in to their slots straight away – spin the freehub a little while gently squeezing together and it should all slip into place.
    Replace the end cap onto the axle. Done.

DT 1900 or SRAM 30/40 wheels.

Check the pawls (the little springs in the freehub) are still in place properly.
    Push it together (no assembly required) onto the axle. The springs will stop it fitting all the way.
    Spin the freehub anticlockwise until the springs slot into the hub body. Sometimes one wont go in, use a small screwdriver or similar just to poke it in a little so it drops into the ratchet.
    Push up tight, and then check the axle cap is seated properly (just push it down inside the cassette.

Done!

Go ride.

karlp
    Free Member

Thx for above, very helpful and much appreciated.
    Will try again on Tue.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Canyon bike assembly’ is closed to new replies.