Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Canyon AM vs XC
  • athgray
    Free Member

I am keen to get a Canyon as my first full susser but not sure whether to go for the 120mm travel XC, or 150mm AM. Most of my riding is at Glentress or Innerleithen with trips to the Pentlands and spots in the Tweed Valley on my hard tail. I can afford the XC 6.0 but going for the 150mm travel AM might be pushing it a bit. (I hired a Trek Fuel EX8 with 120mm travel at GT recently and found it amazing). Any advice would be appreciated.

stanfree
    Free Member

I cant comment on the AM but got a Nerve xc 6 and It is brilliant. I’ve done the Black at GT and the local downhill tracks and It copes with everything easily.
    I take It the AM is heavier and obviously more expensive for what you are riding I wouldn’t bother .

Dogsby

I am planning to buy a XC 9.0 SL in the summer. Looks like outstanding value for money and has received some excellent reviews.

Dogsby

lister

Similar quandry here, old downhilling head says AM but I think that the XC (maybe with a shorter stem and a dropper post) will do most things that I can these days…bit of a weight difference too…

athgray
    Free Member

It’s a difficult one. Another question to anyone who has a Canyon. I am 5 Foot 9, of average build. Would a medium do?

stanfree
    Free Member

It’s a difficult one. Another question to anyone who has a Canyon. I am 5 Foot 9, of average build. Would a medium do?

Same height as Me and I have a 18.5″ medium.

justatheory
    Free Member

I have a Nerve XC 8.0 in Large. It’s more than enough bike for most UK riding. I’m 6,2″ and went for the Large, which is about right.

tpbiker
    Free Member

same height as me. The 18.5 did feel quite big, not much standover, although I do have short legs.

mintimperial

I’m 5’10” and I have a medium Nerve AM 8.0 which fits perfectly. 140mm travel is great in rocky stuff and doesn’t seem to slow me down much on the ups, indeed it’s the best bike I have for getting up some of the more steep, techy climbs round my way, really digs into the hill under power.

superfli
    Free Member

I cant say anything about Canyon bikes, but considering you have a HT as well, I would go for the AM bike rather than the 120mm all rounder/XC. I’ve just replaced my 120mm FS with a 150mm FS, as I dont require such a light XC bike, now that I own a HT as well.

chiefP
    Free Member

I have the Canyon Nerve AM and love it and would be ideal for Glentress and Inners, you can switch it to 120mm or back up to 150mm.

There is no real weight difference between the XC and AM, the AM climbs really well in 120mm just like the XC and decends even better when back up to 150mm.

The AM is ideal more technical stuff and a all rounder bike.

adi66
    Free Member

Guy’s long time lurker, first time poster.

I have just got my Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 – 2011 courtesy of E-Bay, for the bargain price of £1100.00 😀

Having read all of the great write ups and studying the website I was convinced, I’d just never ridden one, nor knew anyone who owned one.. and just as I was about to order a brand new Nerve AM one turned up on ebay with 3x 10 sram X9 groupest, Talas Fit 15 32’s and RP23 shock!

All I can say is WOW This is my first venture into a All mountain bike, and this thing is AMAZING!! climbs like a goat, decend’s like er … a goat.

TS AMAZING THE REVIEWS ARE RIGHT, and pretty light too, at 13kg.

I’m 5’9″ and weigh 90kg, I chose a SMALL as I like a nice tight cockpit, with a high saddle, and it fits me perfectly…a joy to ride.

The attention to detail on the frame and finish is second to none, internally routed cables, little canyon embossed cable rub covers, heli-tape everywhere, Schweet anodizing, its brilliant.

Oh, just for comparison, before I bought the Canyon I test rode a Trek Fuel and Specialized camber .. the Canyon EASILY outclasses, on spec, price and ride performance both of them.

Get a Canyon AM its only got a 0.5 degree difference in head angle over the XC, and slightly longer chain stays (Compare the Geo’ on the website – i did) but it works, and it’s genuinly ALL THE BIKE YOU’LL EVER NEED, you won’t be dissapoined! if you are I’ll buy it from you! lol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Canyon AM vs XC’ is closed to new replies.