Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Canyon acros headsets
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

any good, annoying, ignorable? Any thoughts or experiences? Looking at road bikes and it kind of puts me off as I like to be able to choose replacements from other suppliers if needed

stanfree
    Free Member

The one I had on  a nerve mtb was awful and apparently from a mate that owns a bike shop the road ones are even worse. Poorly  designed and expensive to replace.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is a headset really a deciding factor in choosing a new bike?… Really?.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Klunk
    Free Member

Poorly  designed and expensive to replace.

define expensive ?

bottom bearing

top bearing

bigyan
    Free Member

From the ones I have seen on MTBs the compression rings were not great, Road preload adjusters seemed prone to damage, however that may have been the rider.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Soooo shit.

The preload thingy adds about 20mm to the top of the headtube, so if you want to lower your bars any further you have to get rid and use a normal top cap which cost a load and aren’t ever in stock (I just used a Giant one in the end which works but is not perfect).

The bearings cost shit loads to replace.

Only Pro make a stem in the length I want and they cost seventy quid or more!

Bring back 1&1/8th

golo
    Free Member

I had one go quickly on my Ultimate Al. They’d fitted the standard steel bearings to save money. Retail the stainless steel version was someth8mg like £3 more (at the time). Still going.

Poopscoop

Got one on my Jeffsy. I’m utterly underwhelmed by it.

Bearings are costly and couldn’t find an alternative as the bearing face angles seem non standard. Parts hard to come by too… When I wanted them anyway.

No sealing at all apart from the bearings own rubber seals.

I think I paid something like £30 for just the bottom bearing….

chakaping
    Free Member

I had an Acros headset come with my Radon, it was fine and I’ve transplanted everything apart from the cups to my current build without issues. All seems standard to me.

I presume you discussing a specific version which has proprietry parts? Does the Canyon not have a normal tapered fork?

Marko

If we’re talking about the version where the bearing just sits in the bottom of the tapered head tube, then utter shite is an understatement.

Superstar list the bearing (7mm H X 52 OD X 40 ID + 45 face degree). I just keep a few in stock for the wife’s Nerve AM and replace them at regular intervals.

If it’s another variant ignore me

Hth
    Marko

munkyboy
    Free Member

It’s the road version. It seems ridiculous but it’s putting me off as I can see it failing in about 5 years time when you can no longer get replacement parts. Or is it just me?

Poopscoop

Marko

If we’re talking about the version where the bearing just sits in the bottom of the tapered head tube, then utter shite is an understatement.

Superstar list the bearing (7mm H X 52 OD X 40 ID + 45 face degree). I just keep a few in stock for the wife’s Nerve AM and replace them at regular intervals.

Sounds like the one I have, Acros AiX-326…. wonder if the Superstar bearing fits….?

burgatedicky

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #eeeeee;”>It’s the road version. It seems ridiculous but it’s putting me off </span>

I’m right here with you, I’ve even emailed the canyon service centre and not had much of a hopeful reply. Seems like they’ve modified it a bit from the last iteration, but it still uses a compression ring rather than preloading the bearings with a top cap and expansion plug…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Canyon acros headsets’ is closed to new replies.