Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cantilever leftovers
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

How do,

My Kona Unit has canti mounts that short of grinding off, I’m at a loss as to how to disguise.

I have these plastic caps on them at the moment, but is there a more elegant solution?

Cheers folks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

not really, get your hacksaw/file or grinder out.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Can you unscrew the posts from the frame bosses? Could then put some blanking plugs over the top. Not perfect, but about as low-profile as it gets without the aforementioned hacksaw/file double-act.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fr0sty
    Free Member

Hmmm, wasn’t aware that they would unscrew?

I shall try with some rubber and a pair of mole-grips…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only alu frames have removeable posts IIRC, that is steel?

mintimperial

I’ve seen mudguards that you can fit to canti bosses. I think Decathlon do one? Depends on how you feel about mudguards though. [Edit: here, not sure if you can still buy them though.]

Only alu frames have removeable posts IIRC, that is steel?

Old 456s have removable canti bosses.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

The posts should have flats ground into the them, near the frame bosses, so you can get an open ended spanner on them and unscrew them.

bencooper
    Free Member

Some steel posts are removable, most aren’t. If there are flats on it then you can use an 8mm spanner.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Difficult to see in the pics, but now tend to agree with al/Ben – they look like they are non-removable…. I stand corrected.

fr0sty
    Free Member

Thanks for all the posts, turns out they’re non-removable.

Shit it.

Might just use this as an excuse to strip and repaint the lot, getting rid of the rest of the unused cable tabs etc. Hmm…

robh

Presence of flats doesn’t mean they are removable. Seen plenty welded on steel ones with flats but fixed posts.

I’d heat them with a plumbers blow torch and remove, will shag up the paint finish though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d heat them with a plumbers blow torch and remove, will shag up the paint finish though.

They’ll be tig welded on, no?

robh

Come to think of it I’ve only done that to down tube shifter bosses on a road bike that were brazed on.

TiRed

I just ignore mine. Stick a break booster on to tighten up flex? Or get a respray. But to be honest, it may be cheaper to just buy a new frame

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cantilever leftovers’ is closed to new replies.