• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Can't stop coughing
  • slowoldman

Been going for 3 days now. Irritated throat, huge coughing fit every few minutes. Mrs. Oldman says “yes I’ve had that, it’s a cold”. It’s alright for her, but I’m a bloke. This is unlike any cold I’ve ever had. It has to be Man Flu at least and I reckon it could be full blown Cat Aids.

chewkw
    Free Member

It has also been 3 days for me but last night my coughing was the worst with every few minutes. Did not sleep at all.

Throat is very sore now and nose is blocked.

It all started when I got a bit of sore throat few days before. I think it all happened when I walked pass someone coughing in front before that. I knew I had it after that and 3 days later the sore throat got worst.

Definitely seasonal flu and this year it has started early for me. 😮

Hope it’s not cat aids coz some neighbour’s friendly cat just visited me. 😛

DickBarton

Sinusitis and the cough is caused by excess mucus rolling down your throat…get a nasal spray decongestant and it’ll ease up after a day and should be pretty much sorted after a week.

chewkw
    Free Member

DickBarton – Member
    Sinusitis and the cough is caused by excess mucus rolling down your throat…get a nasal spray decongestant and it’ll ease up after a day and should be pretty much sorted after a week.

I try not to use the decongestant for now so I sleep sitting down as it reduces the cough …

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Can I have your bikes?

CountZero

Not in Eastbourne, are you?

slowoldman

You won’t want my bikes, like me they are slow and old. I just raided the medicine cupboard and found a decongestant spray and tablets. Took both – belt and braces me. Will report back tomorrow if alive.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

On antibiotics here OP… heres to hoping it doesn’t develop into pneumonia.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Whooping cough.Its been about lately,particularly in adults.Probably stress due to living under the Tories again.

sirromj

Had cough for just over 3 weeks now. Started with a sore throat that made my mouth feel rough too. Quickly turned into a night-time only dry barking cough making it difficult to sleep for a week. The following week it improved in so far as I could sleep relatively normally (as well as a father of a 8 month old can anyway).

Now in week 3, for past 5 days when I cough, I can’t breathe momentarily, I cough up clear phlegm, and then need to burp up loads of air afterwards.

GrahamS

Had cough for just over 3 weeks now.

Ummmm….

I can’t breathe momentarily

Go see your doc FFS!

theotherjonv

sirromj; worth visiting the GP for whooping cough with those symptoms. Not dangerous for you particularly but worth knowing in case you are in contact with eg: someone who’s pregnant. The ‘out of breath and then gasping for air after’ is what gives the illness it’s name, as kids will audibly whoop.

Slowoldman – potentially also but might be early days for you

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-might-have-whooping-cough-any-docs-about

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whooping-cough

sirromj

My internet diagnosis found me looking at acid reflux as a cause, so I’m avoiding spicy foods, too much cheese (was eating a lot of cheese on holiday the other week), cut out caffeine, booze (not that I drunk much). Will go see doctor and get it checked out.

mechanicaldope

@grahams: great advice. But not for another 2 and a half weeks!

GrahamS

It was aimed at sirromj and his “cough for just over 3 weeks now”.

mechanicaldope

That’ll teach me to not pay attention! As you were…

slowoldman

Slowoldman – potentially also but might be early days for you

Yes could be. Doc tomorrow if I can get in. It’s unpleasant for me but my main concern is to avoid passing it to folks who have young families. When it started last week I was on an orchestral course with a lot of kids so I want to get a diagnosis ASAP so I can pass on the bad (or hopefully good) news.

slowoldman

Well doc says it’s just a cough.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNJ5Krj7SQ[/video]

sirromj

Yep just a cough here too more or less. Was told it was a viral infection and by the sound of it my body is fighting it off. Oxygyn levels in my blood were good. So just need to grin and bear it.

Nearly choked on dinner a few times now. Cough has been worse again today. Chest starting to ache all over. I’d make a terrible long-term illness sufferer.

Doc said come back in a 1.5 months time if I still got it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I keep getting a ‘frog’ in my throat, rather than a tickle.

A frog in your throat is better than a toad in your hole. 😉

nickhit3
    Free Member

in 2014 i went to the GP with a persistent cough – “probably a virus” was the qualified opinion from the highly paid health professional. Not happy, and now having problems sleeping with the cough, a google search (not condoning that) brought up Whooping Cough. Next appointment with a second GP: “I think you might be right, lets get some blood tests” by then, it was too late to be treated (it has a small early window of opportunity) and what followed was a little over 100 days of the worst wretching and chest pain I’ve ever had 24 hours a day. Had to move rooms when sleeping to not wake my fiancé at the time. It was unbearable. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy- it was really really grim. The punch line was a letter cheerily confirming the recent local outbreak in the NW of England at the time and that the results showed I did have Whooping Cough. not fun. Go get a second opinion. Don’t take one GP’s word for it. Get well soon!

globalti
    Free Member

It’s probably bronchitis, which is inflammation. Try ibuprofen. which is an anti-inflammatory.

theotherjonv

nickhit +1

yep, if you read my links I was sent away the first time as well, and it was only when the cough persisted that i went back and another GP investigated further.

Maybe give it a few days and see if it improves or not

It won’t make a difference to you now either way, if you’ve got it it’ll be too late for antibiotics to act on the progression with you, you’ve just got about 3 months of varying severity coughing to look forward to – but as said AB do reduce the likelihood of passing it on so if someone you are in contact with is compromised in some way, or pregnant, it’s worth knowing for them.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31tnXPlhA7w[/video]

Not me but was just like this; the retching, nearly passing out……. have fun!

nickhit3
    Free Member

yep, that video brings back uncomfortable memories. It is a horror show. I found the worst trigger for a fit was laughing, which was very frustrating and exhausting if you are a fan of comedy. Infuriating and generally tiresome for everyone in earshot too. Not that you give a shit when you’re trying to stay on your feet and conscious. The poor fellow in the hospital bed there must have gone through hell to get to that point.

theotherjonv

for me it was spicy / peppery food; if it caught you in your throat, where in the past you might do an effete little cough, it would kick off a massive fit.

I also remember for a long time the coughing didn’t get any less, just the frequency, so instead of 8-10 fits / day (especially at night in the early days) you’d only get a couple, but they’d still be as severe. And trying to get back to riding, I had to be careful to not get too oxygen depleted because if i then got a coughing fit on top, I would literally be at the point of passing out, and developed a tactic of upon feeling a fit coming on bailing off the bike and getting knelt down before it started just in case (not as far to fall).

slowoldman

So it went from being just a cough to 3 weeks off work with a chest infection. Back at work now and wishing I was still ill. Things haven’t improved in my absence.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

On antibiotics here OP… heres to hoping it doesn’t develop into pneumonia.

I would hope you do have Pneumonia if you are on antibiotics.

It was aimed at sirromj and his “cough for just over 3 weeks now”.

Or it could just be that hes got a new born ish and is knackered all the time, and not getting over his cold.

However, my Mum had a persistent cough, didn’t go to the docs with it (even though we said she should). When eventually she did they found cancer in her sinuses. 🙁

sbob
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

So it went from being just a cough to 3 weeks off work with a chest infection. Back at work now and wishing I was still ill. Things haven’t improved in my absence.

Try switching to a menthol cigarette.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Can't stop coughing’ is closed to new replies.