Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can't remove rockshox 15mm axle
  • philfive
    Free Member

The edge has worn off leaving the handle nothing to push against it to unfasten the handle, anybody have a clue on how to remove it?

orena45

I had similar happen to mine. I filed/Dremeled a square(er) edge. Doesn’t look pretty as such but it worked!

RustyMac

If you have none of the outside edge then I guess you could drill a small hole into the end of the Maxle and put a screw or something into it to allow you to twist the axle in/out

johnj2000
    Free Member

Mine is heading n the same direction, would be interested in hearing how you get on. Please post result. Cheers.

philfive
    Free Member

The plan is to get it out and cut a new notch but I’m also going to photograph it and send it off for a warranty claim as a 6 month old fork shouldn’t have this issue.

johnj2000
    Free Member

My revelations were put on my Rocket in July this year, the wheel has been on and off maybe 6 times and the maxle is chewed. Going to try the warranty route myself.

Superficial
    Free Member

How on earth have you managed that? Either you’re massively over-torquing it or it’s made of cheese. Mine is spotless after a year’s use.

philfive
    Free Member

How can you over torque it with a hand, the wheels are off every weekend but its obviously made of cheese. Having prior knowledge of rear maples snapping I know that you shouldn’t over tighten..

lipseal
    Free Member

Cant you put an easy out in the other end….

dantsw13

This happened to my maxle too. sent it back via merlin, and was told not replaced under warranty. So, as above, took out my file, and made a nice edge to tighten against.

johnj2000
    Free Member

I thnk mine is made of Edam.

sprocker
    Free Member

Mine has done the same 5 rides, I cut a slot in and turned it out and it is going back.

johnj2000
    Free Member

just had a message back from merlin cycles saying that this isnt covered under the manufacturers warranty. they have had lot of people complain but apparently its down to it not being used correctly???? have to buy a new one.

v10
    Free Member

Keeping it well greased and not swinging on the end of it like a monkey when your putting a wheel in generally stops any issues.

Potdog
    Free Member

Had the same problem with them on my hire bikes. As before, apparently not covered by warranty. Damage due to over tightening of the Maxle.
    Just make sure it’s fully wound in and then let the QR bit look after stopping it from unwinding itself. As v10 says, don’t swing on the end like a Monkey.

I took a junior hacksaw to mine to straighten the slots up and have been fine since as I’m careful with the torque I apply when tightening the maxle now.

PD

roverpig

Reading this thread makes me think I’ve been doing something wrong. I just tighten up the collar by hand then flick the QR lever over so that it fits in the slot. Removing is just the reverse i.e. flip the lever up and unscrew the collar by hand.

Reading this I wonder whether I’m supposed to use the lever (in the slot) to screw and unscrew the axle? That collar looks pretty thin to be taking and force to me though.

Cheers,

Andy

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yip, supposed to use the lever. As for force, it doesn’t have to be horsed in, just finger tight.

slinkybike
    Free Member

A dermal is your friend in this situation I have cleaned up and reused a few maxels that have suffered this fate.

roverpig

Well there you go. You learn something new every day and I didn’t even have to fall off for this lesson 🙂

Cheers,

Andy

creamegg
    Free Member

what are you guys doing to it for it to round off? Had mine for 2 1/2 years and its like new and I remove my wheels after every ride. You only need to screw it in using the lever until it’s screwed all the way in and let the QR do the rest.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can't remove rockshox 15mm axle’ is closed to new replies.