Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cant remount tubeless tyre… help!
  • cookci
    Free Member

Hi

I have an 50l air compressor and have used it many times to mount schwalbe tyres onto my giant p-xc2 wheels (gorilla tape converted)

I had a clever idea of buying a new front and moving the 4 month old hans damf to the rear however i cannot get it mounted!!

Ive spent about 2 hours trying all sorts with the air compressor and have basically given up now and have come out the garage feeling rather frustrated!!
    I think the tyre has stretched

Im considering either getting some tubeless rims or buying an “airshot”

Or is there something else i can do?
    Thanks
    Christian

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’d try another layer or 2 of tape

robgclarkson
    Free Member

use a tube to get it seated, then un-seat one side only, pull the tube out, put your valve back in and have another go… this technique has yet to fail me, and i only have a track pump… and yes it’s messy, as the tube will be covered in residual goo!

Speshpaul

wot Rob said.

well wot Rob H said, but the other Rob has a good plan B

onandon
    Free Member

If you have an compressor what makes you think an airshot will do anything to help?

As has been said. You need some more tape to fill in the gap caused by the stretch.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Brew up a big bucket of super soapy water and cover all possible gaps around the rim with huge chunks of soap suds. Then try again.

Almost always works for me now with a track pump. I used to resort to CO2, but really I just needed a huge amount more soap suds to block all the air leak potential.

That said, Maxxis tyres are my choice. They seat fairly easily.

Also, if tyre has stretched then I’d bet it was very easy to push onto the rim, even if it doesn’t seat. I’d be wary of it burping during a ride.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

The robs have a good plan. Add in the trick of removing the valve core too then you’ll get it sorted.

Remove valve core to eliminate the restriction to flow it creates. Inflate tyre and seat, then reinstall the valve core and inflate to desired pressure.

rickmeister

Not sure if this explaination makes sense but the theory is sound..

Use a tyre lever to push one bead carefully into place after soaping or lubing the bead… With one side in place, remove the valve core, then turn the wheel over, placing in horizontal so the floppy bead is lower, the seated bead higher, with the wheel horizontal…

Lube the baggy bead, then blast with the compressor…

I’ll try find the video..

survivor

I do the try my best to lever some of the bead on then blast with compressor. It’ll want to pop back off as you go round with the lever but just put on as much as you can.

Works every time for me.

cookci
    Free Member

Cant get my head round how more tape would help?

Ive tried removing the core and using soapy water.

Also i tried seating the bead with a tube first but it seems if i look at it the wrong way it comes unseated so getting the tube out without knocking the tyre seems impossible 🙁

cookci
    Free Member

The tape i cut so it only just covered the spoke holes. Should i have gone right the way to the edges?

onandon
    Free Member

The tyre has stretched so the extra tape will make the rim bigger and take up the slack caused by the stretch.
    Soapy water works when you have tight tyres, not loose.

Regarding the tape going to the edges. Ideally yes it should but you may get away with it if the tyres are a good seal.

cookci
    Free Member

Do you think i might have more luck with the ghetto inner tube method rather than tape?

onandon
    Free Member

New tyre or more tape. If tape isn’t wide enough you should buy wider tape.

garage-dweller

Really thick soap can help ime.

But as others have noted if the beads are baggy then it’s not going to be as reliable.

I had this trying to seat a cheapo Rubber Queen on my 26r. Went up (just) tape only, which went right into the bead hook, but wasn’t that secure/airtight.

One cut bmx tube (could have used more tape instead) later I have a set up that looks to be working well. This is on an older Mavic not tubeless at all rim.

garage-dweller

On the ghetto tube method I have two wheels running this and I don’t find it too faffy BUT I very rarely unseat a tyre. If I did I might have a dimmer view of it as it can be a fiddle getting bead back over the tape edge.

Note my setup/method is to split the tube then mount the tyre and cut away the excess tube after so the rubber comes right up and round the bead hook.

cookci
    Free Member

How far to the edges should the tape go? Should it touch the lip of the rim?

onandon
    Free Member

There is absolutely tones of information and FAQs online regarding tubeless.

Here

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cant remount tubeless tyre… help!’ is closed to new replies.