Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Can't install HTII bottom bracket…..grrrrrr!
  • MoreCashThanDash

Trying to install new BB on a new Inbred frame, but the threads just won’t catch to screw the cups in. Suspect there is too much paint over spray, or the threads on one or the other aren’t quite right. And yes, I am trying to install them the correct way, I double and triple checked!

Any way to sort it without taking it to the LBS? Who had it at the weekend to install the headset….. 😳

carlosg
    Free Member

If you have a metal pick (or something else small sharp and pointy) use it to clean out the threads.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve had this before and by turning the bb cup the wrong way a few times it normally finds a start. Good luck.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

runa stanley knife round the threads, carefully, so aas to clear them of paint etc…. i’ve had to resort to that before now, and it worked out well

honourablegeorge

d3chris – Member
    I’ve had this before and by turning the bb cup the wrong way a few times it normally finds a start

That sounds like a really bad idea

damascus
    Free Member

Clean the threads out and it should go in.

If stuck your lbs should have a cutting tool to Re do the threads.

Or if you have an old square tapered BB send that in from the other side and all the way through. It will clean the threads as it goes. Just don’t get it stuck.

Good luck

whitestone
    Free Member

Standard engineer’s practice: you hear a click when the end of each thread steps past one another. It doesn’t wear the threads as you aren’t attempting to thread the two together.

firestarter
    Free Member

I banged an old bb through mine before to clear threads on an onone

fd3chris
    Free Member

@honourableGeorge I don’t mean hard to try to make it go in I’m talking about gently and you hear/feel the start of the thread then spin it the right way and it starts.

sweepy
    Free Member

thats how I do it too

honourablegeorge

@fd3chris – Ok, makes sense now, sounded more like you were threading in a bit

timba
    Free Member

Dig an old BB cup out, saw halfway down the threads (in the direction that the axle would take) twice to make four slots. Clean the slots up with a file and screw the sawn cup in carefully by hand. Any concerns? Stop and go to the LBS

breadcrumb

Or if you have an old square tapered BB send that in from the other side and all the way through.

That’s not going to work, one sides LH thread the other is RH threaded.

granny_ring

LOL ^

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can't install HTII bottom bracket…..grrrrrr!’ is closed to new replies.