Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • cant get wheels back on a 2007 rockhopper because of brakes?
  • peter88
    Free Member

I have just purchased a secondhand 2007 specialized rockhopper immaculate condition from somebody local after asking for peoples advice on here on what bike to buy. I tried it out before i bought it, great bike. im new to the whole bike thing,and decided to take the wheels off just to get an understanding of how to do it ect, but when i went to put them back on the brake pads seemed to have closed up there was stil like a 2mm gap between them but i could not fit the disk between the pads on either the front or back, i did press the brakes when the disks were not in place between the pads when the bike was upside down. the brakes do still seem to work but when i let go of them they relax still only leaving me around a 2mm gap, any ideas what i have done wrong? or if there is something wrong the brakes are avid juicy threes or whatever you call them?

Thanks

uplink
    Free Member

Just lever the pads apart a bit

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hey, we all do this at some point!

Just get a flat bladed screwdriver and gently prise that pads apart. Put the wheel back in, do the QR up and test the brakes. They'll probably feel really soft and spongy at first, but keep pumping the lever and they should firm up quite quickly.
    🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You shouldn't squeeze the lever with the wheels out – the pistons will rest.

Push the pistons / pad back gently with something flat and smooth – then refit the wheels and try the brakes again.

It is best to only squeeze the lever with the bike the right way up as doing it with the bike upside down can sometimes introduce air into the system

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Carefully lever them apart.Bit of tape round the end of a screwdriver,push the pistons back.Once the wheel is in,you will need to pump the brake lever for a bit to reset the pads.

Next time don`t touch the lver while the pads are out or stick a spacer,between the pistons!!

Pook

big fat flat blade screwdriver, or metal tyre lever. Take the pads out first, then push the pistons back into the calipers with the screw driver.

There's a little rattly bit of metal the holds the pads in place that is not required in these brakes.

However, don't confuse it with the pad spring (a little four legged thing) that sits between them.

Step by step…
    http://www.cycleslambert.com/download.php/?folder=Documents&file=106JuicyTechManual.pdf

from page 22 onwards!

Good luck. It's a dead easy job but quite satisfying all the same

peter88
    Free Member

Thats great thanks, il give it a go. I still cant believe how helpful this site is, its so brill. 🙂

dalepoint
    Free Member

use the old pads to push apart sometimes all the fluid gets pushed through and the presure needs to be released if you undoe the top cap on the brake fluid reservoir push the pads back the put the top cap back on be careful not to push back to fast. and top if if required.

sorry about spelling errors for those that worry about that.

Notter
    Free Member

Thats great thanks, il give it a go. I still cant believe how helpful this site is, its so brill.

Wow, you've really not been here long have you!
    😉

peter88
    Free Member

Nope I havent, lol!

starseven
    Free Member

The others are talking crap, that bike is junk sell it to me for £10.

zaskar
    Free Member

😆

peter88
    Free Member

give me a £100 n u can have it

peter88
    Free Member

right i started trying to do this about 2 hours ago and managed to get the front wheel on fine by jst slowly levering the piston in with a flat headed screwdriver with the pads still on, the pads are catching the disk slightly but not a lot. Now the rear piston is driving me mad i cant push it far enough apart in order to get the disk in, Im doing it with the pads still on because i dont know how to take the pads out to push the piston back, how do i get them out so i can push the piston back? Iv never worked on a bike before so dont have the foggest. I looked at the link that "pook" put on here last night briefly but now it wont let me open the link grrrr.

Thanks

Richyb
    Free Member

Use a bit more force, just put the screwdriver between the pads and jemmy it from side to side.

Personally I'd leave the pads in, damaged pads are better than cracked pistons which i learned the hard way.

peter88
    Free Member

Hallelujah got the wheel in,used a bit more force, i was scared of breaking the pad but it worked, cheers once again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rememer to test and pump the brakes before you ride!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘cant get wheels back on a 2007 rockhopper because of brakes?’ is closed to new replies.